Windows 10: Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection

Discus and support Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Thanks @NavyLCDR for supplying a Free method for getting a Windows system to work perfectly as a USB device. In KVM you can use the USB as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 11, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection

Hi folks

Thanks @NavyLCDR for supplying a Free method for getting a Windows system to work perfectly as a USB device.
    In KVM you can use the USB as a physical USB and boot from it - so You've got essentially a "Clone" of your Windows system with all the Native Windows drivers.

Note though to make Graphics work "Natively" you will need to "pass thru" a graphics port or your graphics driver will still be the "Virtualised one" that Windows picks up - in some cases you might just be left with a blank screen. You should also enable the "Virtualised" network drivers for full network connectivity. You can "Inject" the Virtio graphic drivers to your Windows system if there's a problem with graphics -- boot up "Native", mount the vio drivers iso (get from the fedora site) and run the install.

I'm using a USBC / USB 3.1 Nvme adapter and it works perfectly !! - This type of approach is good also if you don't have a huge amount of spare storage (HDD/SSD) and want to try out various versions of Windows -- By doing this type of thing you are essentially running your Windows system on "Bare Metal" avoiding any HOST OS overhead.

I'm not sure whether VBOX or VMWare allows direct boot of physical USB devices - but KVM does. Not sure about HYPER-V either - perhaps someone experienced with HYPER-V could answer if a VM on HYPER-V can boot from a physical USB device.

(Reasons for doing this - to avoid "Dual booting", saves creating Windows VM images, and also you can run concurrent physical VM's too if your hardware is powerful enough to do it - so this isn't IMO as bonkers as it seems).

As a VM it also avoids having to be re-activated if moved to different machines - I've had this running on both INTEL and AMD processor systems.

Here's W2K19 server cludged a bit to function as a workstation running as a physical W2GO USB machine on KVM/QEMU. Working perfectly and fast !! (actually faster than my Native W10 system !!!) - W2K19 server though is really "Mean and Lean" compared with the consumer versions of Windows..

Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 11, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

Thanks @NavyLCDR for supplying a Free method for getting a Windows system to work perfectly as a USB device.
    In KVM you can use the USB as a physical USB and boot from it - so You've got essentially a "Clone" of your Windows system with all the Native Windows drivers.

Note though to make Graphics work "Natively" you will need to "pass thru" a graphics port or your graphics driver will still be the "Virtualised one" that Windows picks up - in some cases you might just be left with a blank screen. You should also enable the "Virtualised" network drivers for full network connectivity. You can "Inject" the Virtio graphic drivers to your Windows system if there's a problem with graphics -- boot up "Native", mount the vio drivers iso (get from the fedora site) and run the install.

I'm using a USBC / USB 3.1 Nvme adapter and it works perfectly !! - This type of approach is good also if you don't have a huge amount of spare storage (HDD/SSD) and want to try out various versions of Windows -- By doing this type of thing you are essentially running your Windows system on "Bare Metal" avoiding any HOST OS overhead.

I'm not sure whether VBOX or VMWare allows direct boot of physical USB devices - but KVM does. Not sure about HYPER-V either - perhaps someone experienced with HYPER-V could answer if a VM on HYPER-V can boot from a physical USB device.

(Reasons for doing this - to avoid "Dual booting", saves creating Windows VM images, and also you can run concurrent physical VM's too if your hardware is powerful enough to do it - so this isn't IMO as bonkers as it seems).

As a VM it also avoids having to be re-activated if moved to different machines - I've had this running on both INTEL and AMD processor systems.

Here's W2K19 server cludged a bit to function as a workstation running as a physical W2GO USB machine on KVM/QEMU. Working perfectly and fast !! (actually faster than my Native W10 system !!!) - W2K19 server though is really "Mean and Lean" compared with the consumer versions of Windows..

Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 11, 2021
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection - Similar Threads - Physical USB via

2. USB Redirection disconnects RDP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Redirection disconnects RDP: HiI connect to a Windows 2019 server via Remote Desktop and use the USB redirection to transfer files.When I transfer files to the server with the USB redirection, it will lock up and disconnect. Has anyone seen this issue before.Smaller files seems to be fine but files of...
  3. USB Redirection disconnects RDP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Redirection disconnects RDP: HiI connect to a Windows 2019 server via Remote Desktop and use the USB redirection to transfer files.When I transfer files to the server with the USB redirection, it will lock up and disconnect. Has anyone seen this issue before.Smaller files seems to be fine but files of...
  4. USB Redirection disconnects RDP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Install via USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Install via USB: I want to reinstall Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion 15-cs3153cl with a USB Drive because I want to get rid of some bloatware and other things, but I'm not sure if my drivers will be reinstalled or if they wont. As a sidenote, I would also like to know how risky an install like...
  6. Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB: Hi folks Not sure if this works on HYPER-V but using KVM/QEMU you can boot a Windows VM from a real physical HDD or a Windows to Go stored on an external USB. This means that you can say backup an image of your REAL Windows system and then attach the disk to the VM and then...
  7. Updating via USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating via USB: Maybe this question is stupid but anyways, I want to be sure that nothing could go wrong. If I update via USB, it would install the version of the iso or it would download the latest version, like this: I open the windows installer on Windows and I select the update option,...
  8. windows to go usb

windows to go usb: i installed windows with a usb system runs good but have 301 hd error where is windows running from after download from windows to go USB The laptop works good except for error on startup is it ok to use even with error Thank you TIMMY...
  9. usb windows to go

usb windows to go: can i install windows to go on my HD if so how? THANK YOU TIMMY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-windows-to-go/02b1fca3-7657-4021-888c-690b028cd7f8
  10. physical serial ports (Not USB connected)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    physical serial ports (Not USB connected): My tower has two physical (old school) serial ports which I need to use for a Kenwood CAT radio interface (TS-850) and a RigBlaster PRO soundcard digital interface at the same time. I have tried everything that google has found for me without any luck. I have tried 2 USB to...