Windows 10: PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device

Discus and support PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have few NVMe storage devices connected to my system. After booting to windows, "wmic diskdrive" command under power shell lists device with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BalajiMurugesan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device

I have few NVMe storage devices connected to my system.

After booting to windows,

"wmic diskdrive" command under power shell lists device with "PHYSICALDRIVE #".

But after a reboot same device comes up with a different number, which was assigned to different drive earlier. This is little confusing.

is this expected behavior?

is there a way to keep the same numbering for the device across reboots?

Thanks

:)

BalajiMurugesan, Sep 13, 2019
  2. cnenzel Win User

AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue

Mostly posting this in case others run into this issue.

I have an AMD Ryzen system with an Asus X370 motherboard and two SATA drives in a RAID 1 array booting from a Western Digital NVMe stick

Last night at some point the system - Newly upgraded to Windows 1903 with all available post upgrade patches - that the
    Standard NVM Express Controller driver wasn't sufficient for the NVMe stick not running RAID mode (disabled in BIOS) and installed the
    AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID Controller [Storport] drivers for it.

It did this silently. I rebooted to cure a different issue and Windows 10 ended up in a boot loop.

I only realized what actually happened after I restored a Macrium Reflect (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) image of the C: drive (NVMe) from the night before the reboot, opened device manager and saw what it had done.

I don't know of an easy way to figure out which AMD-RAID Bottom Device
    and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport] are assigned to which device so I temporarily put the NMVe stick into RAID mode so it would boot and disabled RAID for the remainder of the SATA devices. This let me boot, change the driver back to the
    Standard NVM Express Controller Driver (because now there is only one AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport]
    listed in device manager) , disable NVMe RAID, enable SATA RAID and resolve the issue.

Whew. Now, if it boot loops again, my first troubleshooting step will be to turn on RAID mode for the NVMe stick and see if that fixes the boot issue... Instead of spending an hour trying to get the system to see the F8 key being spammed so I could select
    the Reflect recovery USB stick and reimage the NMVe stick...

cnenzel, Sep 13, 2019
  3. Display resolution keeps changing

Hi Rick,

It might be caused by a faulty driver that's why your display resolution keeps changing. We
    suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the display driver, see steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.
    • For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Sep 13, 2019
  4. PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device

reboot and select property boot device

You need to set your main Harddrive which has your Operating System on as the first harddrive to boot, if have more than one harddrive.

open Bios
    boot priority
    Select the OS harddrive as first boot drive , If not sure switch between them
    Set correct time and date if wrong
    Save and reboot

If not sure on steps , give the Make and model number of motherboard and can assist you.

Hopefully no damage to the HDD

SnakeDoctor, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device

1. PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps changing between reboots for my NVMe device - Similar Threads - PHYSICALDRIVE numbering keeps

2. My monitor keeps changing the refresh rate on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My monitor keeps changing the refresh rate on reboot: Hey, so I recently got a new monitor acer ei322qur and when I first used it, I set the refresh rate to 165hz in the Windows settings under System -> Display ->Advanced Graphic Options -> Refresh rate but when I rebooted my PC it was back at 60hz. Does anybody know why?***...
  3. Why does Windows 10 keep on changing my desktop settings between devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 10 keep on changing my desktop settings between devices?: I own 3 PC:s that all run Windows 10 and I have different settings on all of them because I have them for different purposes. I also have a digital license for Windows 10 per device. But sometimes Windows decides to move my settings from one PC to another and for no reason...
  4. Why does Windows 10 keep on changing my desktop settings between devices?

Why does Windows 10 keep on changing my desktop settings between devices?: I own 3 PC:s that all run Windows 10 and I have different settings on all of them because I have them for different purposes. I also have a digital license for Windows 10 per device. But sometimes Windows decides to move my settings from one PC to another and for no reason...
  5. Why does Windows 10 keep on changing my desktop settings between devices?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. My PC keep changing teh network number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keep changing teh network number: every time i reset my router the network number keep changing and i dont know whymy real question this thing is affect my enternet speed or not and how i reset it back to normal...
  7. My PC keep changing teh network number

My PC keep changing teh network number: every time i reset my router the network number keep changing and i dont know whymy real question this thing is affect my enternet speed or not and how i reset it back to normal...
  8. My PC keep changing teh network number

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Controller ID Numbers Keep Changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Controller ID Numbers Keep Changing: Does anyone know how to prevent Windows 10 from changing controller id numbers almost every time I reboot? Some way other than having to unplug and plug the controllers back into the usb ports each time to get them back in the proper order. 32603
  10. Drive letters/numbers keep changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters/numbers keep changing: I'm running Win 10 Pro. I have two hard drives in my PC, both are exactly the same - I use Acronis TrueImage to regularly clone one drive to another as a backup. I've done this for a long time on my old PC running Win 7 64-Bit but have recently bought another PC (spec'd by...