Windows 10: Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC...

Discus and support Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I've just finished building a new PC for gaming and was wondering if I would have any problems physically moving my old SSD (Which is my boot drive)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ItsSnazzy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. ItsSnazzy Win User

Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC...

So I've just finished building a new PC for gaming and was wondering if I would have any problems physically moving my old SSD (Which is my boot drive) and HDD (Storage) from my old Pre-Build desktop to a new custom built desktop. If I were to move both drives to my new desktop and boot, would it start up just like my old Pre-Built desktop PC and boot right into windows and still have all my game and files like nothing was changed? I've searched around but I haven't seen a post that could help me out. I'm also planning to add another SSD for just games and storage later on down the line so would that affect anything later on after the install of my first SSD/HDD?

Thank you ahead of time and sorry if this question sounded stupid!

:)

ItsSnazzy, Sep 11, 2018
  2. Randatic Win User

Moving Windows from HDD to SSD

Ok, background. Got a PC from a relative, 2013 dell prebuilt, not bad, but time to upgrade. I have been using it for maybe a year and a half. It has a 1TB HDD that I have many files on. Building a new PC, have everything but case and SSD. I want to use
    a 64GB SSD for boot drive, and HDD for mass storage. I got my current PC ready by removing the 1TB HDD and installing a 231GB laptop from a laptop that was barley functioning. How do I configure my HDD and move my OS? Should I install a new one on the SSD
    and then transfer the activation? I know I can just use my HDD, but I want a clean Windows install, without any old drivers conflicting with my new system. How would I go about doing this? Also what would be the best way to configure an SSD boot drive and
    separate HDD mass storage for files and programs?

Randatic, Sep 11, 2018
  3. How to move program file on ssd to hdd

Please note, only Microsoft Store apps can be moved, desktop apps downloaded from the Internet or a disc cannot be moved.

Click Start > Settings > System > Storage

Under More storage settings, click 'Change where new content is saved'

In New apps will save to list box, choose the 'Apps' SSD

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features

Select any large app you have downloaded from the Windows Store

Click Move, choose the SSD drive

Andre for Directly, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC...

Moving Win10 from an HDD to an SSD

I have a pre-built PC that came with Windows 8.1. Since then I've upgraded to Windows 10 (free upgrade). Now I think it's time to start upgrading my PC's hardware piece by piece. One of the pieces to be changed is the hard drive, I'm thinking of getting
    a 500 or so GB SSD.

My question is can I move my installation of Windows 10 to the SSD, and will it retain its licence if I do?

I don't need to move a full image of the current HDD, I can reinstall everything but the Windows. One problem is the PC didn't come with a recovery disc or a written license number for Windows, the recovery thingies are in a separate partition on the one
    HDD.

Bora Basaran, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC...

1. Physically moving an SSD (With Windows) & a HDD (Storage) to my newly build PC... - Similar Threads - Physically moving SSD

2. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  3. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  4. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Physically moving old SSD to new PC to use as a storage device: Do I uninstall Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Physically moving old SSD to new PC to use as a storage device: Do I uninstall Windows 10...: I recently built a new PC and installed a new version of Windows 10 on it that I purchased yesterday. I want to use my old SSD as a storage device on my new PC, but it currently is the boot drive with a different copy of Windows 10 installed on it for my old PC. Do I...
  6. Windows Storage Spaces -- Moving a Physical Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Storage Spaces -- Moving a Physical Disk: Hope the following review/summary of my recent experimenting with Microsoft Storage Spaces will be of use to others. Sorry if this is too 'verbose'... The steps I performed/show could be used in one of several scenarios... 1] If you physically remove a disk from a...
  7. Can I move my existing windows 10 to a newly build pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I move my existing windows 10 to a newly build pc?: Hi, i purchsed a retail copy of windows 8.1 dvd and installed it on my current computer 6 years ago and upgraded to windows 10 while it was free couple years back. my question now is, if im building a new gaming pc, can i move my current windows 10 licensing to the new...
  8. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  9. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  10. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...