Windows 10: Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

Discus and support Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bhieda, Oct 24, 2019.

1. bhieda Win User

Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family functionality. I think there are multiple things broken, but the first thing I'd like to fix is to allow my kids to request more screen time. Prior to installing the pi hole, a dialog window would pop up when the kid's windows account run out of screen time . In that dialog that they could click to request more time. This would trigger an email request to me which allows me to grant more screen time or not. Now, after the pi hole install in my network, clicking the request more time button in the dialog displays an error and suggests that the system may not be connected to the internet. I am certain the internet connection is functional.

I am fairly certain that the pi hole is blocking the communication from the pc to the ms server managing the family features. I'd like to create a whitelist in pi hole that allows the necessary communication to take place. Can anyone let me know what URLs need to be added to the whitelist to have Microsoft family screen time limits to work on windows 10?

:)

bhieda, Oct 24, 2019

2. time limits in family not working

Hi Barbara,

We would like to know more details about your concern about the Family Safety time limit that is not working so we can better assist you. Kindly answer the following:

• Does it happen only with particular child account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we would suggest that you refer to this
    support link
    on how to set up screen time limits for your child.

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Microsoft Family additional Screen Time requests not being sent

Support Engineers:

Please read my issue and the steps I have already taken very carefully -

My Issue:

• I have screen time management setup for my children.
    • When they surpass their allocated time, they are presented with the option to request additional time (as expected).
    • PREVIOUSLY, I would receive an email asking for my approval to grant them additional time. I would approve and they would be able to use their accounts (as expected).
    • CURRENTLY, I no longer receive the email once they click on the request for more time. They are unable to log into their accounts which is impacting their ability to complete homework assignments.

Steps I have already tried that did not work:

• Rebooted
    • Tried to submit the request from multiple PCs
    • Deleted all files under the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls folder
    • Tried running the Family Safety Time Limits tool (doesn't work on Windows 10)
    • Applied all known Windows Updates

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you for your time

John Timotheou, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

Microsoft Family Screen time is BROKEN

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Were you able to perform this task previously?

2. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?

As I understand your concern related to Microsoft Family screen time limits, let us try few troubleshooting methods to fix this issue and check if that helps:

Method 1: Fix screen time limits not working. Refer the following article on
    Fix screen time limits not working
    for steps to troubleshoot issue with screen limits.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to remove and re-add the child account back to the family account. Refer the article on
    Remove members from your family group
    for steps to remove the child account from the family account. You can refer the following article on

Add members to your family group for steps to add the child account back to your family account.

Hope it helps,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

1. Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests - Similar Threads - hole breaks Microsoft

2. Feature request: Microsoft Family Safety - time limit by website

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Feature request: Microsoft Family Safety - time limit by website: Several users have asked how to set time limits by particular websites. I'd like the same, without having to install...
  3. Feature request: Microsoft Family Safety - time limit by website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature request: Microsoft Family Safety - time limit by website: Several users have asked how to set time limits by particular websites. I'd like the same, without having to install...
  4. Feature request: Microsoft Family Safety - time limit by website

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time

Microsoft Family - One-time time extension vs request time: I really like using screen time limits to manage how much time my kids are spending on the computer. Rather than giving them time every day, we use a system where kids earn time to use the computer for completing chores and other tasks, then we grant time as a reward....
  6. Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times: Our family uses Family Safety to limit screen time. We block access at all times so that we have to authorize screen time any time my son wants to use the PC. When we give him permission to watch we have options like 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.. When he runs...
  7. Microsoft Family Time Extension Requests not sending to both parents

Microsoft Family Time Extension Requests not sending to both parents: Both of the children have Microsoft Family settings on their computers. Both of the children keep running out of time and ask for time extensions. Thanks COVID-19 virtual learning! The request is sent by email and screen notification to my husband. I USED to get these...
  8. I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken

I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken: After installing Pi Hole ad blocker, Microsoft Family functionality broke. The main thing I am worrying about is Microsoft Family screen time. Unfortunately, I cannot see an option to allow my daughter to request more screen time now. Now the dialog box displays an error and...
  9. Time limits, Microsoft family

Time limits, Microsoft family: We have Microsoft family and my dad set screen time limits for my games. I think I sometimes get less time than it is expected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-limits-microsoft-family/39fb731d-7171-4366-8212-ecef5cfef999"
  10. screen time limits in microsoft family

screen time limits in microsoft family: i am having a terrible time trying to set up screen time limits for my child in windows and his xbox one. i've signed in and out of my account and the child's account a dozen times, sending the email invite to join the family and otherwise following the instructions....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. raspberry pi breaks Microsoft family settings