Windows 10: Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

Discus and support Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple of updates ago, my Picture/Desktop icons, became generic.. This started after a Windows update.. I've searched the net, tried different ways... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jUstcAllmEdOc, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

A couple of updates ago, my Picture/Desktop icons, became generic.. This started after a Windows update.. I've searched the net, tried different ways to fix the problem..

Any help is appreciated..

ty,
    dOc

:)

jUstcAllmEdOc, Aug 30, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Aug 30, 2019
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thema:

Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

1. Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix - Similar Threads - Picture Desktop icons

2. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...
  3. How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?: I have tried to change the desktop icons according to Microsoft help but some of the categories they say will be present are not there. So can someone tell me how to change shortcut icons in windows 10 please?...
  4. Generic image icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic image icon: Dunno what I did... but in the past two days I'm getting generic icon for both image extension jpg and png... was this corrupted? What can I do to get this back on my desktop or in my folders? BTW, I looked up the tutorials and find that I don't have IconCache in my...
  5. Desktop "zoomed" icons become small

Desktop "zoomed" icons become small: Hello, I have a problem with icons size in desktop, i like to use "zoomed" icons on desktop. But sometimes the icons go crazy and this happens: [img] [img] Sometimes i restart the computer and they go back to normal... (sometimes) Any help? 88893
  6. Desktop Icons on Taskbar have become rectangle

Desktop Icons on Taskbar have become rectangle: I was using my laptop at school, when my trackpad starts to glitch out, wherever I moved it it kept clicking and in the process did something to my taskbar; I had my desktop Icons showing on the taskbar (the desktop checkbox ticked in the 'toolbars' tab of the taskbar...
  7. Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked: The music and pictures system folders, that appear in 'this PC', have become linked somehow. The two folders that these link to are on a separate hard drive and so after installing windows, I right clicked>Properties>Location>move>location on other drive. This worked...
  8. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Have Disappeared: Well, I did something, but cannot find out what it was I dis or how to rectify it. This AM when starting Windows 10 Home, I had no icons on the desktop. Using the file explorer>desktop, they are there, so i did not delete them. Somehow I have hidden them from view. The normal...
  9. screen becomes black, but desktop icons visible

in Windows 10 Support
    screen becomes black, but desktop icons visible: Hi there, I have windows 10 home, version 1709, latest built. My problem is that for some days now, out of a sudden the screen become black. The icons on the desktop are still there, but the icons on the taskbar are gone. I can restore everything by open the task manager...
  10. Desktop icons with tiny pictures - How do I get larger pictures?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with tiny pictures - How do I get larger pictures?: When I create desktop icons for Apps, some have TINY pictures. Example: [img] Same procedure to create the desktop icons, but different results. Another example: [img] Procedure: click-drag-drop program icon from All Apps to desktop. Note: screen resolution is...