Windows 10: Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

Discus and support Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple of updates ago, my Picture/Desktop icons, became generic.. This started after a Windows update.. I've searched the net, tried different ways... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jUstcAllmEdOc, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

A couple of updates ago, my Picture/Desktop icons, became generic.. This started after a Windows update.. I've searched the net, tried different ways to fix the problem..

Any help is appreciated..

ty,
    dOc

:)

jUstcAllmEdOc, Aug 30, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Aug 30, 2019
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thema:

Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix

1. Picture/Desktop icons have become generic.. How too fix - Similar Threads - Picture Desktop icons

2. Icons on the Desktop have become very wide.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on the Desktop have become very wide.: Hi, good day.I tried to increase the font size in the computer to 150% and then feeling uncomfortable brought it back to 100%.the icons on the desktop screen have become very wide and unusual and most of them not visible.if i refresh the screen everytime-icons are displayed...
  3. Icons on the Desktop have become very wide.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on the Desktop have become very wide.: Hi, good day.I tried to increase the font size in the computer to 150% and then feeling uncomfortable brought it back to 100%.the icons on the desktop screen have become very wide and unusual and most of them not visible.if i refresh the screen everytime-icons are displayed...
  4. Icons on the Desktop have become very wide.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?: I'm using Win10 Home and MS 365 I like to keep a lot of commonly used website as customize icons for desktop shortcuts using my default browser, Google Chrome. When I hold down the mouse button and then drag it to the desktop most website icons change immediately to a...
  6. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

Generic icons showing instead of pictures: I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?...
  7. Desktop icons suddenly have become very wide

Desktop icons suddenly have become very wide: In the image below you can see that the recycling bin icon has become very wide. All my other desktop icons are also like this (hidden for privacy). It is as if the grid has been magnified 5x or something. My display settings are on 100% and the font size is set to the...
  8. Desktop icons are generic icons.

Desktop icons are generic icons.: Desktop icons are generic icons. This has recently occurred on PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I've scoured the internet and tried everything I could find with no solution. Thanks...
  9. Desktop icons are generic icons

Desktop icons are generic icons: Desktop icons are generic icons. This has recently occurred on PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I've scoured the internet and tried everything I could find with no solution. Thanks...
  10. Desktop Icons on Taskbar have become rectangle

Desktop Icons on Taskbar have become rectangle: I was using my laptop at school, when my trackpad starts to glitch out, wherever I moved it it kept clicking and in the process did something to my taskbar; I had my desktop Icons showing on the taskbar (the desktop checkbox ticked in the 'toolbars' tab of the taskbar...