Windows 10: Picture folders mysteriously disappearing

Discus and support Picture folders mysteriously disappearing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having a problem with folders in my picture files. I have one called "Art" which disappeared and I couuldn't find it anywhere. I tried file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fred22, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

Picture folders mysteriously disappearing

I'm having a problem with folders in my picture files. I have one called "Art" which disappeared and I couuldn't find it anywhere. I tried file explorer to no avail. I replaced the Arts folder with an identical folder from my desktop and then suddenly a folder call "Home and Garden" disappeared. Any suggestions re how to locate these missing folders?

:)

Fred22, Jul 30, 2017

2. Mysteriously disappearing folders

So I have an external hard drive connected to my computer. On that drive are a bunch of folders in which I keep various images and videos. However, one morning, I was about to save a photo into one of those folders only to find that most of those folders,
    including the one I was looking to open, were missing. I tried searching for the missing folders in question only to not find them, and no software that I have installed to aid me in seeking out those missing folders have been able to help me so far. I know
    for a fact that I haven't deleted the folders at any point. So they have no reason to be gone. Does anyone at Microsoft have a solution to this?

PS. I should also point out that any further additions to said folder from which the aforementioned folders were missing seem to vanish almost immediately after being added.

Clover-Indigo, Jul 30, 2017
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    Mysteriously disappearing folders

Hi Clover,

There are a few reasons that we can consider as to why your folders are missing. It can be because the file is accidentally deleted or the folder got corrupted. We would recommend that you check out the article created by
    Lonnie_L on this
    link
    . This will provide you steps on how to find missing files or folders in Windows 10.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to “mark it as an answer” to help those who are facing the same problem.

Rose Ter, Jul 30, 2017
  4. docpipo Win User

Hmm.... interesting issue.
    This may not work, but if you could try a few things, that would be cool to narrow it down a bit.

1. Try while on your desktop holding ctrl, and scrolling your mousewheel down slowly. The icons will get smaller and perhaps they will reappear. You can set them back to the same size by scrolling up instead.

2. Try sorting your desktop icons by rightclicking an empty space on the desktop, and clicking Sort By > Item Type
    that should make all folders first or last, all in a group.

3. In your File Explorer click "View" at the top just above the bar that shows file path.
    click the checkbox on the right side that says "Hidden Items"

If these don't work, I apologize, hopefully we can get this figured out. Best of luck.

docpipo, Jul 30, 2017
  5. Fred22 Win User
    Thanks for your kind assistance...will give it a try.

Fred22, Jul 31, 2017
  6. Fred22 Win User
    Hi I'm back. None of the things you suggested helped to resolve the issue. This is a very strange thing....folders just disappearing into thin air. I know they must be somewhere. Do you have any further suggestions?

Fred22, Jul 31, 2017
  7. docpipo Win User
    My only other suggestion currently would be if you know the name of a file in said folder, search for it from my computer and hope it pops up, then keep in mind the folder's location. Overall, though, I'm not sure, I can't think of why this would happen, or where they would go.

docpipo, Aug 1, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Download Everything:
    Downloads - voidtools

It's a search app to find all files on your computer.
    After it completes loading the computer index in there, search for: Home and Garden

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Picture folders mysteriously disappearing - Similar Threads - Picture folders mysteriously

2. Badges on folder shortcuts change or disappear mysteriously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Badges on folder shortcuts change or disappear mysteriously: Hi there,I'm using Windows 10 in a work domain, and I have a few folder shortcuts on my desktop. Some of them are shortcuts to folders on my C drive and some are shortcuts to network folders. I've noticed that the normal blue arrow badge that indicates a folder is a shortcut...
  3. Badges on folder shortcuts change or disappear mysteriously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Badges on folder shortcuts change or disappear mysteriously: Hi there,I'm using Windows 10 in a work domain, and I have a few folder shortcuts on my desktop. Some of them are shortcuts to folders on my C drive and some are shortcuts to network folders. I've noticed that the normal blue arrow badge that indicates a folder is a shortcut...
  4. Badges on folder shortcuts change or disappear mysteriously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My pictures just disappeared from the pictures folder

My pictures just disappeared from the pictures folder: I've read all the other posts and nothing has worked. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version12H2 HP Spectre x 3602Years worth. This is fairly recent. In the last 4 months? Please help....
  6. My pictures just disappeared from the pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pictures just disappeared from the pictures folder: I've read all the other posts and nothing has worked. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version12H2 HP Spectre x 3602Years worth. This is fairly recent. In the last 4 months? Please help....
  7. My pictures just disappeared from the pictures folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Mysterious Folder

Mysterious Folder: I have a sub-folder in My Documents named "Search". I did not create this folder, nor do I have any idea where it is coming from. When I try to delete it, I get a "Folder Access Denied" window that pops up and says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete...
  9. Mysterious Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious Folder: I have a sub-folder in My Documents named "Search". I did not create this folder, nor do I have any idea where it is coming from. When I try to delete it, I get a "Folder Access Denied" window that pops up and says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete...
  10. Picture folder customisation disappears

Picture folder customisation disappears: AGAIN all the selected pictures showing the best photo within my wildlife Photo folders have disappeared, leaving default blue icons. This has happened at least 3 times before. Its a real pain because I use the folder icons as a quick guide when trying to identify species I...