Windows 10: Picture too big for TV monitor

Discus and support Picture too big for TV monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm trying to hook up a 32" Emerson TV as monitor to a Windows 10 computer using HDMI. There is not a video card as such—it is the graphics included... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Jambe, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jambe Win User

Picture too big for TV monitor

I'm trying to hook up a 32" Emerson TV as monitor to a Windows 10 computer using HDMI.

There is not a video card as such—it is the graphics included on the Intel chip.

The picture is too big for the screen. The first column of icons on the desktop is barely visible and the task bar is almost totally hidden.

The highest resolution available in Display Settings is 1920 x 1080. When I open a window the text is very clear/sharp.
    I have not been able to find any way of reducing the size of the picture using the TV/monitor settings.

Q1: How can I reduce the size of the picture so it just fills the screen?

Q2: Can I get a higher resolution than 1920 x 1080?

:)

Jambe, Oct 17, 2016
  2. WayneRupp Win User

Display Size

This is courtesy of Jimbo45 at TenForums.com

"Try on the TV menu -- there's usually an option somewhere like "automatic re-size", or fit to screen or similar. You'll
    probably need the TV handset to get into the setup menu. Should be a load of Picture / Video configuration options in the TV setup menu."

Wayne

WayneRupp, Oct 17, 2016
  3. Displays

It turns out I did have a tv laying around that was small enough to fit on my desk, I attempted to replace the secondary monitor only to have our exact same problem as before. But, when I replaced my primary monitor with it, to my delight and sadness
    the extension finally worked even though I still could not rearrange them. The resolution for the tiny TV was completely fixed on a resolution too big for it, I believe this might be the problem with the primary monitor, its resolution could be off.

Max Hilton, Oct 17, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Your graphics probably don't have higher resolution available.
    Also check TV set's functions, it may have a setting for that. Some have "Game mode", "Auto resize" or something like that.

CountMike, Oct 17, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Try on the TV menu -- there's usually an option somewhere like "automatic re-size", or fit to screen or similar. You'll probably need the TV handset to get into the setup menu. Should be a load of Picture / Video configuration options in the TV setup menu.

This will be a HARDWARE setup function on the TV - won't be from Windows.

I know you've looked - but TRY THEM ALL!!!. On your Computer also choose correct frequency in Video adapter settings.

Note also that older TV's used to confuse the customer by saying HD ready which meant the TV would be 1080i rather than full HD 1080p so reduce the settings on the computer back from 1080 X 1920 to the next one down (possibly 1280 X 768 or similar).

Those manufacturers are doing the same with 4K TV's by the way --DO NOT BUY A TV THAT SAYS 4K READY or UHD READY -- look for FULL 4K. I've seen people buy the wrong TV's already and they are disappointed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your computer might be different, but on mine, right click on desktop, select graphics properties.... On mine that opens the Intel HD Grpahics Control Panel. Then click on Display. You want to set the scaling option. Since I am on my laptop and my laptop built in display doesn't use scaling, I can't adjust it. Last time I was on travel I connected my laptop to the HDMI TV in the hotel room and had to adjust scaling to 65%.

Picture too big for TV monitor [​IMG]

In the dropdown box under Select Display, make sure you have the TV selected.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2016
  7. Jambe Win User
    Thanks for the replies. I tried everything in the TV Menu. Nothing there helped.

NavyLCDR, I almost gave up on Scaling because of the choices, but gave Customize Aspect Ratio a shot--the only choice that lets me make a change. Adjusting the sliders to 56, both horizontal and vertical, changed the picture size to the exact size of the TV screen. Thanks.

P. S. I just learned not to Mark as Solved before posting my reply! *Sad Then I learned at the bottom left there is a note that lets you restore the lost post. *Smile

Jambe, Oct 17, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Glad you found it and got it solved!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Picture too big for TV monitor - Similar Threads - Picture too big

2. Too Big, How?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too Big, How?: Hi,I have downloaded a file zipped from google drive to add to a usb.The file is 7.01GB in size zipped.I have 2 usb's @ 32gb, both never used until today, the first totally empty, and the one same capacity with 13gb Free.Yet I am getting the attached when trying to copy or...
  3. Too Big, How?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too Big, How?: Hi,I have downloaded a file zipped from google drive to add to a usb.The file is 7.01GB in size zipped.I have 2 usb's @ 32gb, both never used until today, the first totally empty, and the one same capacity with 13gb Free.Yet I am getting the attached when trying to copy or...
  4. Notepad is too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad is too big: Hi, I just created a script with AutoHot Key and don't like the Notepad window display on the screen. It used to me a manageable window but now takes up the entire desktop and I can't reduce the size of it. Is there anything I can do to make the window smaller? Thanks...
  5. Old second monitor has icons too big

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old second monitor has icons too big: basically what the title says. I have a really old monitor that I want to use as a second monitor. But when I plug it in, the icons and the whole screen is just really big. Its not zoomed in and I've been trying to play around with the resolutions on the windows settings and...
  6. Recommended screen resolution too big for monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommended screen resolution too big for monitor: The recommended screen resolution 1920 x 1080 has recently become too big for my monitor. When I delete the driver and let windows replace it [Intel UHD Graphics 630], the screen resolution is correct, but after a moment or two it reverts to being too big. This is a...
  7. PrtScn and Snipping Tool pictures too big

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PrtScn and Snipping Tool pictures too big: Submitted through the feedback hub but I really need an answer to fix this. PrtScn was working fine until yesterday, now for some reason anytime I take a screenshot the image is twice as large as it needs to be. The part I want is on the left half, the right half always...
  8. Display is TOO big

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display is TOO big: Am I the only person with this problem?? I've hunted everywhere! I recently got a new computer with Windows 10. I also got a new monitor. The monitor I got is a 32" very wide screen. I don't know if my issue is due to the screen or W10. I've adjusted my size to as low...
  9. The big picture.

in Windows 10 Support
    The big picture.: I've been thinking about all that's been mentioned about the "One version of Windows" and why they are doing it. This is something that just occurred to me. Right now, you have several versions of Windows to chose to install like Windows 7, and Windows 8.1, if you don't want...
  10. fonts are too big

in Windows 10 Support
    fonts are too big: My wife hit something and now my fonts are too big. I'd like to get the letters back to the smaller version as they are waaaay too big. Can anyone help? 105368