Windows 10: Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location

Discus and support Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I just got a new PC, and moved my second drive from my old PC into it. This contains my pictures and downloads. I also added a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Yossu Win User

Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location

Hello,

I just got a new PC, and moved my second drive from my old PC into it. This contains my pictures and downloads. I also added a couple of folders to my user folder (C:\Users\MyName\), and copied the data from my old PC.

I right-clicked on the Pictures folder in my user folder, chose Properties, clicked the Locations tab, then clicked the Move button and picked the pictures folder on my second drive. I did the same for downloads.

However, these two folders have now disappeared from my user folder. If I look in This PC, the two folders are there, but then the extra folders I added to my user folder aren't.

Is there a way of seeing all my folders, ie the ones I didn't move (documents), the ones I did move (pictures and downloads) as well as the ones I added?

Thanks

I'm running Win10 Pro x64 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.752)

:)

Yossu, Apr 2, 2020
  2. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2020
  3. Fred22 Win User
    Picture folders mysteriously disappearing

I'm having a problem with folders in my picture files. I have one called "Art" which disappeared and I couuldn't find it anywhere. I tried file explorer to no avail. I replaced the Arts folder with an identical folder from my desktop and then suddenly a folder call "Home and Garden" disappeared. Any suggestions re how to locate these missing folders?

Fred22, Apr 2, 2020
  4. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location - Similar Threads - Pictures Downloads folders

2. changing the location of the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing the location of the downloads folder?: I accidentally moved the downloads folder to disk d without creating any files, and the entire disk d became downloads.The problem is that the files in the d folder are included in the downloads folder and I cannot move them back to the c disk because there is no space. Even...
  3. changing the location of the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing the location of the downloads folder?: I accidentally moved the downloads folder to disk d without creating any files, and the entire disk d became downloads.The problem is that the files in the d folder are included in the downloads folder and I cannot move them back to the c disk because there is no space. Even...
  4. Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder: I just did a clean install of windows 11 and noticed my user folder name had a typo. Searched how to rename it, found this tutorial and followed it. https://www.elevenforum.com/t/change-name-of-user-profile-folder-in-windows-11.2133/ After having done that, now with a...
  5. Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder

Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder: I just did a clean install of windows 11 and noticed my user folder name had a typo. Searched how to rename it, found this tutorial and followed it. https://www.elevenforum.com/t/change-name-of-user-profile-folder-in-windows-11.2133/ After having done that, now with a...
  6. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  7. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  8. Changing downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing downloads folder location: I accidentally changed my downloads folder location to D:\ partition. I want to change it to a folder called DOWNLOADZ_NEW in D:\ partition, how do I do it? I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. (build 18363.628) This is how the downloads folder looks like in the left side...
  9. 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location: Hello. I changed the location of my Pictures folder to an external drive to make more room in my computer, and after doing so the majority of the .jpg files are missing. I changed the location back but it didn’t help. I checked the drive for errors, the users folder, looked...
  10. 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location: Hello. I changed the location of my Pictures folder to an external drive to make more room in my computer, and after doing so the majority of the .jpg files are missing. I changed the location back but it didn’t help. I checked the drive for errors, the users folder, looked...