Windows 10: Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open

Discus and support Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am aware of the 1803 issues that caused file sizes to be incorrect. I am now on version 1909 and still having the same problem. Both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ukyo895, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ukyo895 Win User

Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open

Hello,

I am aware of the 1803 issues that caused file sizes to be incorrect. I am now on version 1909 and still having the same problem. Both Windows and TreeSize state that the allocated hard drive space is 2.8 GB, but the size is 9.5 TB. The reason for the high file size starts at a certain point in the folder see screenshot:

Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open c77cb937-b37d-4291-82d2-2730d90b7603?upload=true.png

TreeSize provided information stating that the large files have way too little allocated on the hard drive see screenshot:

Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open 81e43252-031f-4995-a8ae-9a77f2cfc06e?upload=true.png

The file names are similar, so it is not a long file path issue. I have tried running the troubleshooter under administrator with no luck. I ran DISM.exe ... restorehealth in elevated CMD, still no luck. Since 1909 should have fixed this issue, I'm not sure what to do. I read that the metadata is the problem, but I don't know how to fix this. I cannot move the files to a memory stick or something because Windows thinks I need 9.5 TB to do so.

A second issue is, in the same folder with the file size error, some jpg files and MP4 files will open and show the picture/video while others won't. The large file sized ones will not open at all, but even some of the smaller ones see below:

Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open 16786ea2-7fd8-40ca-87c1-4439a646414d?upload=true.png

I know that MS has worked on this, but it hasn't worked for me. I copied these files from my phone AFTER updating to version 1909, so I don't know why this is happening still.

:)

ukyo895, Jan 8, 2020

2. Picture size

The automatic resizer still loads the whole picture (large res and large KB size and all) but makes it more comfortable to view on-screen.

I think what the OP is finding inconvenient is the long loading times such pics take.

I agree with Mussel's suggestion that they be shrunk especially in file-size.

Black Panther, Jan 8, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open

Opening Graphic and Video Files

Hi Ralph,

Please follow the steps and see if it helps:

• Right click on the video file.
    • Click on open with
    • Choose the appropriate program to open with.
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open

1. Pictures and video are wrong file size and unable to open - Similar Threads - Pictures video are

2. Unable to open pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open pictures: Hello, good day to you! I am currently using window 7 I think it is 7 but I am not sure how to check on a DELL laptop. I am not sure if I clicked on something wrong or it is because this laptop is old, but I am unable to open all of my pictures.Whenever I try to open a...
  3. Unable to open pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open pictures: Hello, good day to you! I am currently using window 7 I think it is 7 but I am not sure how to check on a DELL laptop. I am not sure if I clicked on something wrong or it is because this laptop is old, but I am unable to open all of my pictures.Whenever I try to open a...
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  5. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  6. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Wrong file size displayed

Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  8. Opening a picture video

Opening a picture video: Hi all, I have made a picture-video in Windows 10; adding music and text, etc. I saved the back-up (.vpb file) but I now cannot open the project to render it out, now that I have time to work on it. :-( Silly question I'm sure...but it's really frustrating me that I cannot...
  9. Unable to upload picture as it is not the right size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to upload picture as it is not the right size: Split from this thread. Been trying to add my custom picture for months now. it keeps popping up something about picture needing to be 1080x1080 pixels. I know it is not sure why it is not recognizing it....
  10. Unable to open pictures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to open pictures: My wife has a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10, when clicking on a jpg she is getting File system error -2147219196 .. How do we resolve it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/unable-to-open-pictures/8ba694ce-f8fe-44ee-bda3-c19b823a3c40