Windows 10: Pictures Lost On Upgrade

Discus and support Pictures Lost On Upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi y'all, My upgrade (laptop) went smoothly. However, a friend upgraded her computer and said her pictures are lost. I tried talking her through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lektrikpuke, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Pictures Lost On Upgrade

Hi y'all,

My upgrade (laptop) went smoothly. However, a friend upgraded her computer and said her pictures are lost. I tried talking her through searching for them, and she said the ones that appear are 0 bytes in size. Of course, she should have backed up her files beforehand, but she's past that point.

If she rolls back to 7, might she get her pix back?
    If she rolls back to 7, can she reupgrade to 10?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks *Cool

:)

lektrikpuke, Aug 16, 2015
  2. donhamTH Win User

Where do I find my pictures that were on my computer befor I upgraded to windows 10.

Where do I find my pictures that were on my computer befor I upgraded to windows 10. The new picture icon is empty. I need help

Original post: lost pictures

donhamTH, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Win 10 update

When I upgrade to win 10 will all my personal data be lost, pictures, downloads and passwords?

I am lost about most things, this is why I ask?

Lost in NC, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Pictures Lost On Upgrade

There should be a windows old folder in the C: drive have her check in there, double-click the Windows.old folder, double-click the Users folder, double-click your username, Open the folders that contain the files you want to retrieve.

5. ltj22 Win User
    I do not think photos will be in windows old, maybe if she undid win10 install she might get them back...

Len

ltj22, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    Where, in which folder did she store the images? Was that somewhere inside her user folder? Note that what is called "Pictures" inside the user folder only is a link, which must not necessarily point to a location inside that user folder. Or have they maybe even been on another drive?

I still believe that these files must still be there...somewhere...

Joergi, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Bazz Win User
  8. satchmo Win User

Pictures Lost On Upgrade

Has she done a command line filename search of all of her storage drives?

It's hard for me to imagine that the installation of an OS would zero out her picture files.

satchmo, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Yes, walked her through search (command line). No, pics are not in Windows.old (on my pc), so I'm assuming they're not there either in hers. She is very tech unsavy, so she probably put them in Pictures. Mine transferred over no problem when I did the upgrade today, so I have no idea what her problem is.

If she downgrades (to find the pics), can she upgrade again (for free)?

lektrikpuke, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Bazz Win User
    Yes in fact she can do better than upgrade she can do a clean install.

11. bro67 Win User
    If the pictures are not where they are supposed to be in the user Picture's folder. Uninstalling will not bring them back from the digital trash dump.

As it states before you do the upgrade. Always make sure that you have everything you want to keep for documents, pictures, music, videos backed up.

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  12. Again, I realize (and even told her) that you should always back stuff up (which is why the cloud, SaaS, and computers becoming nothing more than dumb terminals is happening), but that's in the past.

Anyway, she asked if bringing it to Geek Squad would help. I said to go for it. I'll ask her to keep me in the loop, and if anything comes of it, I'll give you guys a heads up.

Thanks.

lektrikpuke, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Bazz Win User

Pictures Lost On Upgrade

Thanks mate let us know how she gets on and try not to take offence from the sharp comments from some.

I hope she gets them back however I think they have probably got to that great photo album in the sky along with many others.

Thema:

Pictures Lost On Upgrade

1. Pictures Lost On Upgrade - Similar Threads - Pictures Lost Upgrade

2. lost my pictures

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost my pictures: Just got a new computer and tried to restore all my files, including my photos, from my old PC backup. I got EVERYTHIGN EXCEPT my photoes. Are they there and I just don't see them or are they GONE! Am I missing something?...
  3. Lost OneDrive Files/Pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost OneDrive Files/Pictures: Good Day Forum, I recently purchased a new desktop and transferred all the files from my old computer to new computer, and had my new computer linked to outlook account so onedrive was there etc, first time doing that. I copied all my files onto my desktop. A while later...
  4. Lost Files; pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Files; pictures: I moved all my pictures into one folder the way someone on here suggested & now I can't find any of them. I also have green dotted line across the top of my screen HELP...
  5. Lost Windows 7 pictures at Windows 10 upgrade

Lost Windows 7 pictures at Windows 10 upgrade: How do I find my Windows 7 pictures after my Windows 10 upgrade? Is there a "standard" way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-7-pictures-at-windows-10-upgrade/45990b58-24fe-4dd9-833c-e38b85d01254"
  6. lost pictures

lost pictures: I was uploading pictures on craigslist and they just fanished. where can I look for them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-pictures/96a83818-b754-45bb-afd8-fce9701d7699"
  7. Lost photos pictures

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost photos pictures: I have lost my photo from desktop and one drive How do i get them back from the cloud Hope someone can help me i changed phones and deleted them not realising that they disappeared from my laptop as well 139227
  8. Pictures and documents lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pictures and documents lost: hello, on 23rd of June when I switched on my computer windows had updated and there was a screen which was not my desktop so I restarted and it was my desktop but had no documents or pictures. I went to users and found one Anise Fatima Nasser and it had all my documents and...
  9. lost data and pictures

lost data and pictures: Why do I need to buy recovery software after windows lost my personal dat, pictures, documents, passwords, downloads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-data-and-pictures/f421f8c8-2755-42fd-a61c-290b93961662"
  10. Lost all pictures

Lost all pictures: I downloaded my pictures from my phone to my computer and down the folder shows the display picture and tells me the different sizes in each folder. BUT when I open the folder it says it's empty. Any ideas? Thank you. I run windows 10,...