Windows 10: Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

Discus and support Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexWhitley1, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster.

I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't display thumbnail previews when I access them through File Explorer. Instead, it just shows the blue Windows photo icon. I also find that if I click on one of the files, it won't show a preview of it in the Preview Pane on the right hand side. This means, the only way to know what the image is, is to open each file in turn until I find the one I need!

This surely can't be an outstanding issue with Windows 10?!

I have looked online and tried multiple suggestions and none have worked so far. I have seen people mention the same issue over the last few years so I am really hoping there is a simple fix/update and that Microsoft has resolved this bug?

So far I have tried:

Restarting the laptop and again after each of these steps

Unticking 'Show Icons instead of Thumbnails' on file explorer view options

Clear thumbnails on C: drive disk clean up

taskkill on Command Prompt

Delete thumbnails on 'Run'

I use this for work, and this issue is costing me money as it is slowing down my productivity. So I am hoping someone can help!

Otherwise I may have to look at taking this back and go back to Apple.

:)

AlexWhitley1, Jan 16, 2021
  2. JimKWD Win User

Picture Thumbnails not showing in explorer

Hi,

I have lost all my picture thumbnails When I open explorer and click on pictures can I show my sub folders I was showing a picture preview of the picture now it just shows the icon with the file name no picture preview. If I click on the picture it opens
    windows photo and display the picture

How do I restore the picture thumbnail display I am using windows 10

Thanks

JimKWD, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Pictures do not ALWAYS display as thumbnail preview wIN 10

Hi John,

We recommend following these steps to show pictures as thumbnail:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on File.
    • Select Change folder and options.
    • Click on View from the pop-up.
    • Uncheck the "Always show icons, never thumbnails".
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Jan 16, 2021
  4. Paultx Win User

Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

Yes, that's correct. But of course Windows must support the thumbnail preview for programs that generate thumbnails.

For example, I see in your second screenshot that PDF files icons are displayed as the default PDF file type icon. But Windows supports PDF files thumbnails, and you have to set it so that Windows can display them. An easy way to do it is by the following setting in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:

Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer [​IMG]

Back to my initial point, I want a list of Windows 10 officially supported file types thumbnails, so I can seek solutions for those Windows does not support.

Paultx, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

1. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Pictures displaying thumbnail

2. Display of Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display of Pictures in File Explorer: I have noticed sometimes that when I open the Pictures folder in File Explorer, not all of my pictures will be shown when I am in the large thumbnail view. Instead, many of them have the Microsoft Photos icon instead. This apparently is happening whenever I open a Pictures...
  3. Display of Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display of Pictures in File Explorer: I have noticed sometimes that when I open the Pictures folder in File Explorer, not all of my pictures will be shown when I am in the large thumbnail view. Instead, many of them have the Microsoft Photos icon instead. This apparently is happening whenever I open a Pictures...
  4. Display of Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files: I am unable to preview images in a file. We just updated our Virtual Machines and I am no longer able to look through my photos with a small preview pane. I've looked online for a solution to this, but I don't have the option to "uncheck" Always show icons, never thumbnails:...
  6. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  7. Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture thumbnails not showing in File Explorer: Hi, I installed a Preview program for 3D files and now for some reason JPEGs aren't showing a preview. I installed SageThumbs, didn't work. Changed the thumbnail options in Folders, didn't work! How can I reset the image previews for files? Or at the very least JPEGs?...
  8. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....
  9. How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer: How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere? 15850
  10. Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer: My laptop is displaying the wrong thumbnails after i upgrade to windows 10. When you open the file explorer and preview an file the next file your going to preview will be same thumbnail to the first one even the other files. Here s an video so i can explain well....