Windows 10: Pin an app to the desktop (or folder)

Discus and support Pin an app to the desktop (or folder) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a folder that I keep certain program shortcuts to keep from cluttering up the Start menu. I am having a problem pinning certain apps in W10. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by caveman88, Sep 14, 2015.

1. caveman88 Win User

Pin an app to the desktop (or folder)

I have a folder that I keep certain program shortcuts to keep from cluttering up the Start menu. I am having a problem pinning certain apps in W10. I would like to pin a couple of the games that I downloaded from the Store. When I right click. I have three choices - Pin to Start, Pin to Taskbar, Uninstall. There is No Open File Location. Is there a reason for this? On most of the other apps, I can Open File Location and copy the app to the desktop or my folder.

CAN I do this or is Windows 10 protecting certain programs for some reason?

Z

:)

caveman88, Sep 14, 2015
  2. Gil deG Win User

how to pin windows store app shortcuts to desktop

Hi Ryan,

You may refer to the link below for more information and instructions on how create a shortcut of the app that you downloaded from the store.

Pin apps and folders to the desktop or taskbar

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gil deG, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Chriso747 Win User
    Firefox browser blocked in Win10

Again, not sure whether you want to have Firefox as an App button or a shortcut on desktop.

Is it in your Start menu? If so, right click on it (or its sub-folder) and select Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar. If it's not in your Start menu, then go to where it resides (probably in Program Files (x86)). Find the .exe file, right click on it and
    create a shortcut or click Pin to Start (for an App button). Drag the shortcut to your desktop and edit the name if you prefer.

Chriso747, Sep 14, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I just did a drag and drop and it works fine.. give that a shot.

Jeff

Yup.. and what Shawn said. *Wink

BunnyJ, Sep 14, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Z, *Smile

Since these are Windows apps (aka: modern apps) from the Store, they are not the same as desktop apps.

As a workaround, you can drag and drop the Windows app from Start to you desktop to create a shortcut of it. Afterwards, you can mode the shortcut where you like.

Brink, Sep 14, 2015
  6. caveman88 Win User
    I could have sworn that I did try the drag and drop and nothing happened. I tried it again and it worked.

Thanks,
    Z

caveman88, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Pin an app to the desktop (or folder) - Similar Threads - Pin app desktop

2. Is there a way of pinning Apps to my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way of pinning Apps to my desktop?: Is there a way of pinning frequently used apps to my desktop display? I know I can pin them to Startuseless and my taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-of-pinning-apps-to-my-desktop/b24aeea7-09be-40ff-bf7e-f23dbc1cf8f8
  3. Is there a way of pinning Apps to my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way of pinning Apps to my desktop?: Is there a way of pinning frequently used apps to my desktop display? I know I can pin them to Startuseless and my taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-of-pinning-apps-to-my-desktop/b24aeea7-09be-40ff-bf7e-f23dbc1cf8f8
  4. How to Pin Apps Desktop not Task Bar

How to Pin Apps Desktop not Task Bar: Hello. I recently purchased a new laptop. I have been trying to pin apps to the desktop/home screen not the taskbar. For some apps like whatsapp or calculator I am only able to pin it to either the start menu or the task bar. I have tried to make a shortcut/pin it from file...
  5. Unable to add folders and apps to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add folders and apps to desktop: I've been unable to add folders and apps to my desktop after I decided to delete all the widgets I had previously installed. I've tried resetting my desktop setting and adding shortcuts multiple ways, and I can't get anything to work. Is there a way that I could have set a...
  6. Unable to add folders and apps to desktop

Unable to add folders and apps to desktop: I've been unable to add folders and apps to my desktop after I decided to delete all the widgets I had previously installed. I've tried resetting my desktop setting and adding shortcuts multiple ways, and I can't get anything to work. Is there a way that I could have set a...
  7. Pinned Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned Desktop Folder Problem: So I've had an issue for a while with the Pinned desktop folder that appears when you right-click on Windows Explorer in the taskbar, where it wouldn't open the desktop folder, but nor would it allow me to delete it. Kinda like this: I press delete and nothing happens at all....
  8. Pinned Desktop Folder Problem

Pinned Desktop Folder Problem: So I've had an issue for a while with the Pinned desktop folder that appears when you right-click on Windows Explorer in the taskbar, where it wouldn't open the desktop folder, but nor would it allow me to delete it. Kinda like this: I press delete and nothing happens at all....
  9. Disable PIN sign in on remote desktop app

Disable PIN sign in on remote desktop app: Hello,I was just wondering if there is a way to disable using PIN to access remote desktop app. Currently, I am not able to switch it off when connecting to remote desktop even though I would rather use the password to sign in than the PIN.Thanks...
  10. pin apps to specific virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    pin apps to specific virtual desktop?: I haven't used Windows in years but have just gotten one of those tiny Intel NUC things and installed Windows 10 pro on it. I'm glad to see Windows finally has an OK virtual desktop system, but is there a way to pin specific software to a specific desktop? Let's say I wanted...