Windows 10: Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar

Discus and support Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Some UWP apps look very out of place on my taskbar and I wanted to change the icons. The only way I found looking instead of editing in MS Visual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/iDareToBeMyself, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar

Some UWP apps look very out of place on my taskbar and I wanted to change the icons. The only way I found looking instead of editing in MS Visual Studio was to make a run command and that opens the app. However, I can't pin it to the taskbar. I tried .bat but that didn't work too. The only way around it was a toolbar but that causes a total disaster because I use centered icons. BTW I use SIB.

submitted by /u/iDareToBeMyself
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/iDareToBeMyself, Apr 11, 2020
  2. mgreen10 Win User

Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar

Step "1. Try the following steps in Option One of this tutorial", worked. I searched the mentioned folders for the name of my pinned Excel file with a .lnk extension and found it. However, even after deleting it, the
    file was still pinned to Excel in the Taskbar. I had to delete all of the files in the three folders as specified in the Reset_and_Clear_Recent_Items.bat file. Unfortunately this means that all other items I had pinned and all lists
    of recent items are also gone. I guess there is no way to just unpin one item using a similar method.

The offending pinned Excel file is gone but it will take a bit of time and work to put back all of my other pinned items and find all the items I recently worked on.

It's interesting that the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent folder referred to in the .bat file does not appear in Windows Explorer, only in a CMD window. Because of this, I was unable to delete the contents of the three folders specified in the .bat file
    in Explorer. I had to do it in a CMD window either using the .bat file or typing the folder names manually. I'm not sure why two different sets of folders and files are visible depending on whether you look with Windows Explorer or a CMD window.

mgreen10, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    pin batch file to taskbar

Put the .bat file somewhere stationary, change it to a .exe, drag and pin it to Taskbar, change the file back to .bat, change the pinned shortcut back to .bat, restart Explorer.

Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 11, 2020
  4. daniel Win User

Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar

How to pin either a Shortcut or a Batch file to the new Windows 7, 8 and 10 Taskbar and start menu?

This thread nearly answers my problem, another thread worth reading that solves these issues in a different way is here:Adding Batch Files to Windows 7 Taskbar like the Vista/XP Quick Launch

I was able to add a batchfile to the taskbar by the following steps:

1. Renaming your .cmd/.bat to to .exe
    2. Right clicking on the *.exe and choose pin to taskbar
    3. Renaming it back to .cmd/.bat
    4. Shift+right clicking the taskbar icon (for the exe) and choose properties
    5. Changing the reference from *.exe to .cmd/.bat and change icon as needed

It starts working right away but the icon refresh needs a reboot.

I have an additional question though: how do you get a pinned taskbar batch file accepting another file as a parameter? It works when pinned onto the startbar, or just in the folder, but I can't get it working like it did on XP.

This is the functionality I'm talking about:

daniel, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar

1. Pin .cmd/bat files to taskbar - Similar Threads - Pin cmd bat

2. Pin bat file Shortcut to Windows 11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin bat file Shortcut to Windows 11 taskbar: I'm trying to pin app shortcuts to the W11 taskbar. I've managed to pin all apps to the bar except a shortcut to a bat file. Shortcuts to other apps can be pinned. It won't work and I wonder why??...
  3. Pin bat file Shortcut to Windows 11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin bat file Shortcut to Windows 11 taskbar: I'm trying to pin app shortcuts to the W11 taskbar. I've managed to pin all apps to the bar except a shortcut to a bat file. Shortcuts to other apps can be pinned. It won't work and I wonder why??...
  4. Bat or Cmd file not running at login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat or Cmd file not running at login: This should be an easy one. Created a net use map drive batch file, also as a cmd. Either one not both, just as a troubleshooting step. File is located on my desktop and if I double click on it, either one it executes as expected and maps the drives. 1st approach was a...
  5. Bat or Cmd file not running at login

Bat or Cmd file not running at login: This should be an easy one. Created a net use map drive batch file, also as a cmd. Either one not both, just as a troubleshooting step. File is located on my desktop and if I double click on it, either one it executes as expected and maps the drives. 1st approach was a...
  6. How do I pin a bat/cmd file to the start menu or taskbar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I pin a bat/cmd file to the start menu or taskbar in Windows 11: I've recently purchased a new computer, upgrading from Windows 7 to Window 11.I'm trying to configure my new Win11 machine to give me the same functionality and ease of use as my Win07 machine.I have several bat/cmd scripts that I use for starting applications in specific...
  7. How do I pin a bat/cmd file to the start menu or taskbar in Windows 11

How do I pin a bat/cmd file to the start menu or taskbar in Windows 11: I've recently purchased a new computer, upgrading from Windows 7 to Window 11.I'm trying to configure my new Win11 machine to give me the same functionality and ease of use as my Win07 machine.I have several bat/cmd scripts that I use for starting applications in specific...
  8. Comma escaping in BAT/CMD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Comma escaping in BAT/CMD?: Hi. I try to write script like this one: set %PLAYER%=<part of command> rtsp://192.168.1.1:554/?avm=1^&freq=450^&bw=8^&msys=dvbc^&mtype=256qam^&sr=6875^&specinv=0^&pids=0,16,17,18,20,3000,3001,3002,3009 <other command> for /f "tokens=2 delims==; " %%a in ' wmic process...
  9. Need some Help with CMD and .bat files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some Help with CMD and .bat files: I have .bat file thats in a folder in my desktop (location). When i open the bat file i need it to run in the folder that's it's located (in the folder thats on my desktop) However, when i run the bat file it runs at the default location. So isn't there anyway I can change...
  10. Executing a .bat file on CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Executing a .bat file on CMD: Hello all, For a programming process we need to execute a .bat file from CMD. I'm on Windows 10 x64. When I paste the path to the file and hit Enter, the message below is expected to show up: Setting up environment for Qt usage... It happened a time and when we wanted to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pin batch file to taskbar

2. How to pin either a Shortcut or a Batch Taskbar

3. pinned to taskbar location batch