Windows 10: PIN entry screen won't display

Discus and support PIN entry screen won't display in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I typically use a PIN to log in after reboot or after locking my machine. Most of the time a click of the mouse or hitting any key on the keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by gobinderconvert, Apr 21, 2021.

1. PIN entry screen won't display

I typically use a PIN to log in after reboot or after locking my machine. Most of the time a click of the mouse or hitting any key on the keyboard will bring up the PIN entry screen. Sometimes there could be a few seconds delay while the camera searches for my face, but I leave the shutter closed 99% of the time, so the PIN screen usually comes right up.

Lately, though, I am unable to bring up the PIN screen unless I:

1 click on some details info on the Windows background image and thus launch Edge, or

2 press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I first thought this change came after a Windows Update, and was some bright idea about how to get people to use the Edge browser... But since it has happened intermittently, sometimes a click will do it, but many times no amount of clicking or keyboard taps will work except as above.

What could be causing this? Anything I can do to get consistent behavior?

Thank you!

p.s. Environment: HP Laptop, Win 10 Pro 20H2, local account only.

:)

gobinderconvert, Apr 21, 2021
  2. Xjoejoex Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

PIN entry screen won't display [​IMG]

I would like to note that step 20 comes up with no files. Perhaps this could be the source of the issues?

Xjoejoex, Apr 21, 2021
  3. UKMedia Win User
    PIN entry screen not displayed on boot

Hi all

My PC has developed an annoying issue over the last week. When I boot the PC I get the normal desktop screen with the date and time correctly shown. If I then hit a key to move to the PIN entry screen, the time and date are removed but the PIN entry box is not displayed and entering the PIN does not make any difference. If I leave the PC alone, after about 30 secs the time and date are re-displayed but the same issue happens when hitting a key. When failing to display the PIN screen, my network connectivity is shown as 'Limited' in the Network button of the three buttons in the bottom right of the screen - not sure if this is an issue

If I go and make a cup of tea, when I return it all works okay.*Banghead

These are the things I have tried:

1/ Windows update;
    2/ Full Virus scan, using Windows Defender;
    3/ Full Malware scan using Malwarebytes;
    4/ Update all drivers using DriverMax;
    5/ Open PowerShell(Admin) and run SFC - no errors reported;
    6/ Open Powershell(Admin) and run DISM - no errors reported;
    7/ Re-enter PIN using the 'I Forgot my PIN" under Sign-In options;
    8/ Run CHKDSK /f /r on my OS SSD.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards

UKMedia, Apr 21, 2021
  4. PIN entry screen won't display

Homebase: PIN entry screen opens too late

When booting up my HTC S740 having Windows Mobile 6.1 installed, the Homebase screen is displayed for up to two seconds before the PIN entry screen is displayed.

A malicious user could use this time to read Homebase contents. Depending on a mobile phone's configuration this could be message content, wallpaper content or calendar entries. This could become quite a high security risk.

I'd like to suggest that - if activated - nothing is displayed before the PIN entry screen is positively confirmed.

Axel Dahmen

BetterToday, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

PIN entry screen won't display

1. PIN entry screen won't display - Similar Threads - PIN entry screen

2. HELP Please - Black Screen After PIN Entry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP Please - Black Screen After PIN Entry: Hi, - Windows 10 Home 64-bit (OS Build 19042.906) So, right after I input my PIN at the login/bootup screen, my screen goes instantly dark. I'm still able to move cursor and seems that I've successfully booted up since I'm able to do Ctrl+Alt+Del and restart via the power...
  3. Stuck at blurry pin entry screen with no typing field

Stuck at blurry pin entry screen with no typing field: We just recently got a pc for my wife to work at home. The pc was running fine for about a week. Tonight she restarted the pc and it gets to the screen where you click and the pin pad comes up, but in this instance, the screen blurs like the pinpad is coming up, but nothing...
  4. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  5. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  6. Help! Stuck on welcome screen before pin entry!

Help! Stuck on welcome screen before pin entry!: Hey everyone! I recently installed a few Windows 10 updates and afterwards restarted my laptop. Once it booted up I got to the welcome screen where you can click or hit any key to proceed to your pin or password to log into your computer. My problem is that when I click or...
  7. PIN entry window at welcome screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN entry window at welcome screen: My PIN entry window has disappeared. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-entry-window-at-welcome-screen/88be7a9d-7ef2-4089-aa62-b648ebc8ea12
  8. tryin to log in. Black screen after pin entry

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    tryin to log in. Black screen after pin entry: Start up screen shows time and date. I Hit enter and screen shows name and pin login space. I type in pin and screen goes black. Screen only shows white cursor....
  9. Display won't fill screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display won't fill screen: Someone played with my Surface Pro and now there is a black border around the scree. The display image doesn't fill the screen as it did before. There is about a 1" black border around the display. I can't find a "full screen" setting. Any help?...
  10. PIN entry screen not displayed on boot

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    PIN entry screen not displayed on boot: Hi all My PC has developed an annoying issue over the last week. When I boot the PC I get the normal desktop screen with the date and time correctly shown. If I then hit a key to move to the PIN entry screen, the time and date are removed but the PIN entry box is not...