Windows 10: Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

Discus and support Pin shortcuts to Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by linw, Jul 24, 2015.

1. linw Win User

Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it?

Just wondering.

:)

2. WimBekker Win User

Cannot pin items to start menu on windows 10

Hello Mayank-Longiany,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I've restarted explorer. I've restarted the computer many times. I've done checks to see if windows files are ok.

I've also tried to pin items several ways:

- 'pin to start' in explorer context menu

- dragging from 'most used' list,

- make shortcut in %appdata%\...\Start Menu\Programs

- remove shortcuts and 'pin to start'

The action 'pin to start' puts a shortcut in %appdata%\...\Start Menu\Programs, but doesn't put the program in the

start menu itself. If you type the name of the shortcut in the Start Menu it also is not found.

Regards,

Wim Bekker

WimBekker, Jul 24, 2015
  3. Drag-and-Drop to Start button: "Pin to Start menu" prompt appears, but nothing gets pinned to the menu

When I drag various shortcuts from my desktop to Start button, a floating prompt appears over the Start button. It says: "Pin to Start menu". However, dropping shortcuts over Start button does not pin anything to Start menu. Nothing at all happens, actually.

So, what is the meaning of that "Pin to Start menu" prompt? Any why doesn't it really pin anything?

Andrey_T04, Jul 24, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

I can pin any desktop shortcut to my start menu. I have found no exceptions to this.

Rocky, Jul 24, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Thanks for confirmation.

I have four running the latest updates and all have this problem (although one of them did pin once then no more).

Weird, especially being this close to the 29th.

linw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu - Similar Threads - Pin shortcuts Start

2. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  3. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  4. Pin shortcuts to Start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pin shortcuts to Start: I would like to add shortcuts to my Start Menu. I know you can add programs plus items like Control Panel and administrative tools. But I would like to add my saved Remote Desktop Connection sessions. I hate having to minimize all my windows at get to my Desktop. And I don't...
  5. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  6. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  7. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  8. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  9. Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu: I did an upgrade from win 7 to 10. Some glitches, but nothing I can handle. But i didn't like when u pin down a short cut on the start menu, it went to right. I want some program to pin down on the leftside, like win7. Is't possible to do that on win10? 14515
  10. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...