Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

Discus and support Pin shortcuts to Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by linw, Jul 24, 2015.

1. linw Win User

What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it?

Just wondering.

:)

2. WimBekker Win User

Cannot pin items to start menu on windows 10

Hello Mayank-Longiany,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I've restarted explorer. I've restarted the computer many times. I've done checks to see if windows files are ok.

I've also tried to pin items several ways:

- 'pin to start' in explorer context menu

- dragging from 'most used' list,

- make shortcut in %appdata%\...\Start Menu\Programs

- remove shortcuts and 'pin to start'

The action 'pin to start' puts a shortcut in %appdata%\...\Start Menu\Programs, but doesn't put the program in the

start menu itself. If you type the name of the shortcut in the Start Menu it also is not found.

Regards,

Wim Bekker

WimBekker, Jul 24, 2015
  3. Andrey_T04 Win User
    Drag-and-Drop to Start button: "Pin to Start menu" prompt appears, but nothing gets pinned to the menu

When I drag various shortcuts from my desktop to Start button, a floating prompt appears over the Start button. It says: "Pin to Start menu". However, dropping shortcuts over Start button does not pin anything to Start menu. Nothing at all happens, actually.

So, what is the meaning of that "Pin to Start menu" prompt? Any why doesn't it really pin anything?

Andrey_T04, Jul 24, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

I can pin any desktop shortcut to my start menu. I have found no exceptions to this.

Rocky, Jul 24, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Thanks for confirmation.

I have four running the latest updates and all have this problem (although one of them did pin once then no more).

Weird, especially being this close to the 29th.

linw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu - Similar Threads - Pin shortcuts Start

2. Error Code 0x80070032 when logging on to Windows using PIN - can only login to windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Code 0x80070032 when logging on to Windows using PIN - can only login to windows...: Hello All, Thanks in advance for your replies. Yesterday I tried to login to my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 laptop but got error code 0x80070032 with message that went something along the lines of restarting and trying again. However, I was able to logon using my Microsoft...
  3. FPS stuck at 60 after doing Fresh Start.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS stuck at 60 after doing Fresh Start.: First of all you shouldn't have such a thing. Secondly all my apps and softwares got uninstalled and now my game which used to give 150-200 fps is stuck on 60 fps. Please help I have my tournament coming....
  4. How do I *PERMANENTLY* turn off the request for me to use a PIN code during login?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I *PERMANENTLY* turn off the request for me to use a PIN code during login?: I just got a new Win10 laptop and I am completely sick of the constant requests to set up a PIN code for login. Before anyone tries to convince me how awesome it is.... I DO NOT WANT A PIN CODE !!! I have done various combinations of setting up a PIN code, deleting it in...
  5. Windows 10 wont start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 wont start: Hi friends i have an issue that i dont know how to resolve. suddenly my computer stopped working. when i turn on my computer i get to the windows sign with black background and the circle start circling like its loading. After that my screen turns black and my screen shuts...
  6. Chrome Starts Up (517009)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chrome Starts Up (517009): I've had a very continuous issue where when I boot up my computer chrome will automatically open up the following page @ https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=517009 How can I get it to stop doing that?...
  7. Windows 10 Fresh Start

Windows 10 Fresh Start: I have an Acer W4-820; I did a fresh start from Windows Defender Security Centre. I crashed half way through. no idea what it was doing. Luckily it rolled everything back and the tablet is now back to normal. I have two core dumps and an event log item who do I send them...
  8. HYPER-V Blue Screen while starting windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HYPER-V Blue Screen while starting windows10: I saw there is no Hyper-V features on Windows 10 Home edition. But i tried to disable by using cmd with this code https://github.com/scotch-io/scotch-box/issues/195 { dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V } and then blue screen has appeared while starting...
  9. Surface Pro 4 doesn't start

Surface Pro 4 doesn't start: I installed the latest insider version 177738. One day later it suddenly stopped to work, doesn't respond. Keeping power button long enough down Windows menu disappears (system closes, i guess). After that i am not able to boot it anymore, even though i've tried every trick...
  10. i do not have a start button, how do i get one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    i do not have a start button, how do i get one?: I do not have a start menu. how do I get it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/i-do-not-have-a-start-button-how-do-i-get-one/68c1bff7-f3a1-4e4a-a36a-1e9b7de074cb