Windows 10: pin to start an excel file

Discus and support pin to start an excel file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I would like to pin an excel file to start. I downloaded and ran the "pin to start" reg file. It does work for things like folders, but it does not... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by donnyb, Aug 24, 2020.

1. donnyb Win User

pin to start an excel file

I would like to pin an excel file to start. I downloaded and ran the "pin to start" reg file. It does work for things like folders, but it does not appear for my excel file. Is it possible to have "pin to start" work for files?
    Windows 10, version 1903, build 18362.1016

:)

donnyb, Aug 24, 2020

2. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

I have W10 and Excel 2007.

I commonly use a file XYZ.xlsx, and I'd like to be able to do the following.

Click Start --> hover over the arrow to the right of Excel 2007 --> show jump list --> click on XYZ.xlsx, either under the "Pinned" or the "Recent" section.

However, when I do the steps above, nothing shows under "Pinned", even though I've pinned XYZ.xlsx inside Excel 2007, I've opened, saved and closed the file several times, etc. Somehow W10 still doesn't know this is a file I want to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Aug 24, 2020
  3. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

Thanks Annu.

In Method 1, at step 2, the file I want doesn't already appear in the Start menu. Do mean to browse to the file I want in the File Explorer? If I right click on the file in the File Explorer, "Pin to Start menu" is not an option.

In Method 2, at step 4, I release the left button, but the file doesn't appear anywhere in the Start Menu afterwards. It's not listed along with my Most Used apps, and it's not pinned in the Jump Menu of Excel 2007.

Maybe I misunderstood something in your directions?

Cheers,

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Aug 24, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I believe the Pin to Start (MS start menu) is restricted to folders. You could place this one Excel doc in it's own folder, and pin that. I just tried pinning a document, and no go. Folders are fine. It's a workaround.

f14tomcat, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

1. pin to start an excel file - Similar Threads - pin start excel

2. Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar: I’ve always had trouble pinning the last file to the toolbar. Because right now, it’s able to accommodate 12 pinned files. But when I come to pin the 11th file from the most recent list, the file that would keep on appearing is this:PERSONAL.XLSBBecause my Excel files use...
  3. Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar: I’ve always had trouble pinning the last file to the toolbar. Because right now, it’s able to accommodate 12 pinned files. But when I come to pin the 11th file from the most recent list, the file that would keep on appearing is this:PERSONAL.XLSBBecause my Excel files use...
  4. Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Excel suddenly started limiting pinned items to 5 files

Excel suddenly started limiting pinned items to 5 files: Hi,A month or two back, the majority of my 15-20 pinned files in excel disappear leaving only 5 remaining. Everytime I try to re-pin new files, only 5 will remain the next time I try to open excel. How do I solve this problem? Could it be related to having an office 365...
  6. pin to start an excel file

in Windows 10 Support
    pin to start an excel file: I would like to pin an excel file to start. I downloaded and ran the "pin to start" reg file. It does work for things like folders, but it does not appear for my excel file. Is it possible to have "pin to start" work for files? 162807
  7. pinning an excel file to the start menu

pinning an excel file to the start menu: is there a way to pin a frequently used excel file to the start menu....I had this working for a while but the latest windows10 update seemed to have killed this option (an older reg edit that I have tried to repeat ...not working) is there another, more current workaround...
  8. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  9. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  10. Pin Excel to start and or taskbar

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pin Excel to start and or taskbar: Cannot Pin Excel to start menu or task bar. Office shows on start menu but have to open it first then Excel. Excel does not show on list of programs. It opens fine when I go to office THEN to excel but would be more convenient to go directly to Excel since I use it often 100276