Windows 10: "Pin to start" crashing the settings app

Discus and support "Pin to start" crashing the settings app in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to pin windows update to start menu. So i tried opening the settings app and then right clicking on "update & security" to select the 'pin to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bheema18, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Bheema18 Win User

"Pin to start" crashing the settings app

I wanted to pin windows update to start menu.

So i tried opening the settings app and then right clicking on "update & security" to select the 'pin to start' option from the context menu. But the settings app freezes for few seconds and then crashes everytime i do this. Also it will not be added to the start menu. The pin to start option works fine for all other files/apps outside the settings app though! The problem seems to be only within the settings application!

Someone, plz tell me how to fix this..

:)

Bheema18, Jan 23, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Jan 23, 2020
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 23, 2020
  4. "Pin to start" crashing the settings app

PIN at start up

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to Change PIN password:

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then Click on accounts.
    • Then on the left hand side click on sign in options.
    • Then you can Select Change PIN password and remove the pin.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

"Pin to start" crashing the settings app

1. "Pin to start" crashing the settings app - Similar Threads - Pin start crashing

2. Settings Apps crashes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings Apps crashes: My settings app crashes immediately after I open the app,it gets stuck on the icon for a whileseen in below image and then closes.I can't access any settings or even update Windows as everything is in the settings app.This issue is in my brand new laptop....
  3. Settings app crash

Settings app crash: To whom it may concern, my seetings app on windows 10 is crashing every single time I try to use it. How do I fix the problem? Yours sincerely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-app-crash/f850cbf1-b1cf-48e9-9005-b9fb372197dc
  4. Settings App crashes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings App crashes: Hey, today I was trying to manage my background apps but everytime I try to open the background apps tab in settings, the app crashes. I can't seem to find help anywhere in the internet. submitted by /u/UGAleo [link] [comments]...
  5. Settings app crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings app crash: Settings app crashes after clicking System or Display settings after installing the update. Current Windows version : 1903 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-app-crash/981c8048-feea-4ea0-930c-521378fbe60a
  6. Settings app crash

Settings app crash: Settings app crashes after clicking System or Display settings after installing the May 2019 update. Current Windows version : 1903 OS Build : 18362.207 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-app-crash/8d54e4cb-4f3a-4f44-b8ea-1f471cff6f67
  7. Set all apps first instead of Pinned tiles in Start menu

Set all apps first instead of Pinned tiles in Start menu: Here is the answer to that question which the microsoft moderator said you cannot do. Settings->Personalization->start Set "Show app list in Start menu" to on. this will now default to apps and not show the pinned tiles first. ***Modified title from: Start Menu No...
  8. settings app crashes

settings app crashes: settings app crashes right after opening. tried several fixes found online, to no avail.... Help, PLEASE!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-app-crashes/955cc4e4-86ea-4ab7-8870-cbcafdf5675b
  9. Settings app crash on start

Settings app crash on start: Hi I have a problem on my PC, I can't open the settings app. The splash screen appears, then after a few seconds the app crashes. Here is what I've got in my event log : Nom de l’application défaillante SystemSettings.exe, version : 10.0.17763.1, horodatage :...
  10. Win 10 1709 Settings app starts then crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 1709 Settings app starts then crashes.: I've just upgraded my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop from Win 10 Pro 1607 to 1709. The only problem I've found is that I can't run the Settings app. It starts, shows the blue 'flash' screen, then disappears. Watching Task Manager processes during this the Windows Problem...