Windows 10: Pin to start no longer works

Discus and support Pin to start no longer works in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After the last windows 10 software update, there are several problems. The most annoying is that the pin to start no longer works. Can that be fixed?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lee Dungan, May 26, 2020.

1. Pin to start no longer works

After the last windows 10 software update, there are several problems. The most annoying is that the pin to start no longer works. Can that be fixed?

:)

Lee Dungan, May 26, 2020

2. Pin to Start no longer works

After the last update (1607 OS Build 14393.222) I noticed that several programs were removed from my Start Menu. These programs were working fine in Windows 10 prior to this update, and if I run them manually they still run fine.

As well, I no longer have the ability to pin programs to the Start Menu.

I have several games in this case which seem to be impossible to Pin to Start. The shortcuts exist in %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, but they do not appear in Start. The "Pin to Start" context menu item shows up when I right-click
    over the shortcuts, but after trying to pin them the still do not appear in Start, and the "Pin to Start" context option still shows up on a subsequent right-click.

I can create shortcuts on the desktop, but "Pin to Start" also fails from there.

I've run SFC /SCANNOW, this did not make any difference.

I've run DSIM, also no effect.

I've disabled “Prevent users from customizing their Start Screen” from the Group Policy editor, also no effect.

All of this seems to be the result of the latest big update ("big" as in it did the "We upgraded your computer" splash screen just like it did when it "upgraded" from Win7 to Win10. Always a frightening moment.) The new Win10 Start menu was working fine
    before the latest upgrade, now it's broken.

Can anyone make a suggestion on how to fix this latest "fix"?

R. Jeff Smith, May 26, 2020
  3. PIN at start up

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to Change PIN password:

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then Click on accounts.
    • Then on the left hand side click on sign in options.
    • Then you can Select Change PIN password and remove the pin.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 26, 2020
  4. Pin to start no longer works

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Pin to start no longer works

1. Pin to start no longer works - Similar Threads - Pin start longer

2. Xbox no longer on start menu>pinned apps ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox no longer on start menu>pinned apps ?: I install windows 11 and i can't see xbox on start menu. It was always pinned before. Did they changed that? or is it bug https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-no-longer-on-start-menupinned-apps/35dea4d8-4cb7-439a-8f21-b62fba3785a5
  3. Xbox no longer on start menu>pinned apps ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox no longer on start menu>pinned apps ?: I install windows 11 and i can't see xbox on start menu. It was always pinned before. Did they changed that? or is it bug https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-no-longer-on-start-menupinned-apps/35dea4d8-4cb7-439a-8f21-b62fba3785a5
  4. Pin no longer works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin no longer works: how can i change the user in windows, my wife passed away and i am using her computer since mine was pretty old, i have her pin but don't have her password and it's not a current email, the pin used to work now it doesn't now...
  5. Pin no longer works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin no longer works: how can i change the user in windows, my wife passed away and i am using her computer since mine was pretty old, i have her pin but don't have her password and it's not a current email, the pin used to work now it doesn't now...
  6. Pin to Start does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin to Start does not work: Hello Experts:I upgrade my Win10 to Win11 today but I have two major problems1.The "pin to start" function does not work for my Win11, what could be the problem and how to fix it?2.Each time I use the embeded snipping tool to take a snapshot, the window system freezes deadI...
  7. PIN no longer working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIN no longer working: I tried to use my new laptop and this message pops up when I try to do anything . I don't know how to get the settings to change my PIN[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-no-longer-working/1b1f05aa-93b2-4e9b-8b59-cdcaad0e98a5
  8. Password not known and pin no longer works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password not known and pin no longer works: I have always used my pin in windows 10. I tried to guess at password and failed. I needed password to be able to access from another computer, so I went through change of password with admin command prompt. Something went wron. When I try to enter the pin, it states the...
  9. Start menu no longer works

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu no longer works: My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins. It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key or if I click the Start button. Any clues? 17088
  10. Start no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start no longer working: I have had Win 10 installed and working well until this past week, when the Start button on my keyboard and the on screen icon no longer work. The screen icon will turn dark yellow with either touch or pen, but it does not open. I can right click it and get to that menu, but...