Windows 10: Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

Discus and support Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 (x64) and I wanted to change my start menu tiles since I had a start menu as opposed to the start screen. Naturally,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RandomAnimeGame, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

Hi, I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 (x64) and I wanted to change my start menu tiles since I had a start menu as opposed to the start screen. Naturally, I tried right-clicking the tiles that were present and unpinning them from the start menu, but the option doesn't show up! If I try and right-click shortcuts, executable files, or menu items for programs the option to pin the item to the start menu doesn't show up.
    I can pin things to my taskbar easily, but I can't pin it to start at all!

I'm currently running Windows 10 Build 10240 on a 64-bit Intel i7-4500U (Dual-Core) @ 2Ghz with 8GB RAM and Intel Integrated GPU.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu [​IMG]

:)

RandomAnimeGame, Aug 22, 2015

2. Can't unpin FTP location from Quick Access

I've pinned an FTP location to the Quick Access menu in Windows 10 Explorer, but now cannot unpin it.

To replicate:

1. Browse to an FTP location in Windows Explorer

2. Right-click "Quick Access"

3. Select "Pin current folder to Quick access"

4. Right-click the newly pinned folder

You should see that there is no option to unpin the folder. The context menu only offers the (greyed out) option to "Expand".

Notably, this pin only appears in Explorer and not in the jump lists (for example by right-clicking Explorer from the task bar).

How do I remove this pin?

alecgibson, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Scott76_ Win User
    OneDrive is showing up twice in Start Menu after Anniversary Update. How do I remove the duplicate?

It's not pinned to the start, pinning things to the start menu sticks them to the right with the tiles. If I right click they have the option to "pin to the start" so I can't unpin.

Both do work though.

Scott76_, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

What I do to be able to Pin Anything to the new start menu is do this:
    1. Make a shortcut of the program you want in there
    2. Cut and Paste the shortcut in the 'Startmenu" folder
    ( That's like: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs with me )
    3. Click on the Startmenu, click on All apps and find YOUR freshly created shortcut in that list
    4. Rightclick on that shortcut and choose: Pin to Start

And your done!

Foreign Frisian, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Sorry, it doesn't seem to work for me. I noticed that some programs in the start menu for "All Programs" aren't in the folder you specified.
    After pasting a shortcut into the folder directly, I saw it didn't add that shortcut to the start menu under all programs, so I tried with a pre-existing shortcut and got no results.

I appreciate the help, but even if this worked it still wouldn't fix my problem of removing icons from my start menu as well.

RandomAnimeGame, Aug 22, 2015
  6. That is very weird I must say.
    Can't help you with specific instructions other than doing a 'Factory reset'.
    Considering its an 'upgrade' to win10 this seems to be an silly bug.
    What I always recommend to people is a factory reset directly after upgrading to win10.
    And then freshly install all your programs.
    This way you have a lot bigger chance everything goes right.

Anyone else have a more specific solution?

Foreign Frisian, Aug 23, 2015
  7. That is really inconvenient as there are files on this computer that either have limited installs per computer (Paid for applications that consider a factory reset computer as a new computer due to missing cookies) and some of the files on this computer are ones made myself that are too large to backup (YouTube files mostly).
    I would like an alternate solution, I'm not opposed to making registry changes as I've done it before when I was trying to uninstall Respondus Lockdown Browser (For example, I had to restore the power options on the start screen back in 8.1 and other features as RLB is a browser used for online classes that are run by teachers that know nothing about computer security).

One thing I can say is that I found out there were two different folders where my start menu programs were being held, and when I removed folders from it's directory programs were removing upon reboot. The only problem is that adding programs did not work, so I'm probably going to use the Tile Creator app on the Windows Store (Your request appears to be from an automated process) to add apps.

Another thing to note is that I can't get rid of metro apps from my start menu such as Photos and Mail which were not present before the installation of Windows 10 nor can I adjust their sizes.

Thanks for giving your input on this and trying to solve the problem, I hope some alternative solutions are available soon!

RandomAnimeGame, Aug 24, 2015
  8. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

Tile Creator app seems like a good solution for adding more tiles in your case.
    Getting rid of the other apps, are these apps replaceble?
    I mean an app like: Mail. Can you uninstall it so its gone from the start menu?
    And then reïnstall it if you actually want to use that app?
    Just a suggestion that uninstalling it maybe removes the tile.

Foreign Frisian, Aug 24, 2015
  9. For some reason, right clicking the apps on the start menu doesn't show an uninstall option and these apps don't show up in the control panel either.
    I wonder if I can just disable metro app tiles on the start menu altogether since it seems to be too buggy to use properly when transferring from 8.1.

RandomAnimeGame, Aug 24, 2015
  10. One more hint:
    In windows 10 you have both Control panel ánd the Settings app (Sytem => Apps) to uninstall things.
    The latter one is more complete because the apps are only in that list.

Yes very annoying for you I imagine, but this specific problem is not usual with every upgrade from win8.
    Anyway I've did some searching and found an other forum about this issue:
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12070-unable-unpin-tiles-start-menu.html
    It might have something to do with ur virusscanner or explore.exe

Maybe check this out?

Let me know!

Foreign Frisian, Aug 25, 2015
  11. Okay, well restarting explorer doesn't seem to affect anything on the Start Menu. In terms of Virus Scanner, I just use Windows Defender and periodically scan my computer with Malwarebytes (Free) as a supplement to it.
    Is there any possibility the reason the option doesn't show up due to a registry key? Is there a registry key I can modify to remove tiles altogether from my start menu?

Thanks!

RandomAnimeGame, Aug 25, 2015
  12. moondoggy Win User
    Did you ever get a resolution to this issue that didn't involve a factory reset? I noticed yesterday that when I right click on any installed application under Start/Apps and press the right mouse key the only option available to me is "Pin to Start". I also have noted that if you search for an app like CMD or PowerShell in the search dialog box if you right click on the found application the only option you have there is "Pin to Start". As Foreign Frisian suggested there are other means to perform a needed operation other than from the right mouse menu but for me, it comes down to a question of how stable is my Windows 10 system and are there other issues lurking under the hood. Right now my system seems to be working just fine other than this issue and I would really like avoid a reset. Let me know if you resolved this issue.

moondoggy, Sep 3, 2015
  13. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

As a matter of fact, this issue was resolved by changing a registry key; not by anything provided in this topic. Your issue is clearly different than the one in this topic, and I will kindly ask you to read titles/OPs more carefully before replying. I would also advise you create a new topic on your issue and someone will try and help you out within a few hours after you post the issue.

RandomAnimeGame, Sep 3, 2015
  14. moondoggy Win User
    What caught my eye was the statement you made about the uninstall option not being available on the start menu and this is the problem I'm trying to resolve. Based on the above, I assumed that we had a common problem. Also note that a simple statement would have been sufficient to let me and everyone else know that these were not the same issues. Many times people that do have an issue that gets resolved never post what they did or how it was fixed. Even though our issues apparently are not the same it would have been nice if you would have told other forum members what registry changes fixed your issue in case someone does have the same issue as you had. Have a nice day.*chuckle

moondoggy, Sep 3, 2015
  15. Bump ! I have this same issue right now .

Please tell me how did you solve it by changing the registry key ?

PirateCreed, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

1. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu - Similar Threads - Pin Unpin Options

2. Right-click menu missing a part

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click menu missing a part: It's missing a part which is transparent. My version is 22000.438. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-menu-missing-a-part/8fcb9457-a353-4df7-99f5-dad9d9242ba6
  3. Right-click menu missing a part

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click menu missing a part: It's missing a part which is transparent. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-menu-missing-a-part/8fcb9457-a353-4df7-99f5-dad9d9242ba6
  4. right click start menu missing?????

in Windows 10 Customization
    right click start menu missing?????: i have a issues where the right click start menu windows icon does nothing anymore for some reasons i was seeing all administrator tools like command prompt event viewer or disk management but now the right click with the mouse doesnt show the 2nd menu anymore someone have...
  5. Troubleshooting missing new folder option in right-click menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubleshooting missing new folder option in right-click menu: I don't have the option to add a new folder in the right click context or otherwise. I've done some troubleshooting and am beginning to think it is some sort of permission error. This is a recent clean install after hardware upgrades. To start ctrl+shift+n also does not...
  6. Pin to taskbar missing from right click menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin to taskbar missing from right click menu: I have a shortcut to an .exe that for some reason pin to taskbar is missing, pin to start is there, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Windows 10 build 18362.836 [img] 157164
  7. "Paste" is not an option on right click menu

in Windows 10 Support
    "Paste" is not an option on right click menu: I just noticed this: When I go to COPY files and PASTE them into folders on another PC on the home network, the PASTE option does not show in the menu when you right click the destination folder. Is this 'normal' behavior? I can Paste the files using the paste button in the...
  8. Right Click Command Menu Missing "Print" option for PDF's

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click Command Menu Missing "Print" option for PDF's: I've seen several threads on this, but none of them solved my problem, which only started with my upgrade to Windows-10. I run a small eBay business, and used to print all my shipping labels for the day in 1 fell swoop by selecting them then right-clicking and selecting...
  9. Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.: In 7 I could right-click open programs in the taskbar to pin or unpin them. Since I use a "Quick Launch" toolbar instead of pinned items, I wanted to get rid of the pinned Edge, Explorer, and Store icons, but right-clicking them did nothing. I can shift-click them, but that...
  10. Pin/Unpin is missing from right click context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin/Unpin is missing from right click context menu: Hi guys I reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop and after that the pin/unpin options is missing from the context menu (right click) to pin/unpin tiles from the startmenu. Any ideas? 39795

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unpin tiles option not avaiable