Windows 10: ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error

Discus and support ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zectbumo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Zectbumo Win User

ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error

Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4 when trying to resolve a hostname with a local DNS. The parallel requests is causing a race condition where ping sometimes fails. When ping gets back the DNS "AAAA" it responds with "could not find host" failing immediately even though there is a valid "A" response for IPv4 in the following response. If the "A" record comes back before the "AAAA" record then the ping is successful otherwise I see a "could not find host". Thus the race condition. Is this going to be fixed? For now I solved this by turning off IPv6 on my router to prevent it responding to "AAAA" requests but this is not ideal.

:)

Zectbumo, Feb 20, 2019

2. IPV6 Ping Not Working?

I am running Windows 10 and am having some connectivity problems with the Internet and my WiFi router. While investigating this, I saw some strange behavior while trying to ping external websites. The command prompt defaults to IPv6, and the pings appear
    to be blocked. If I provide a -4 flag on the ping, it goes through.

C:\Users\User>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:4009:816::200e] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4009:816::200e:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\User>ping google.com -4

Pinging google.com [172.217.6.110] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.217.6.110: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=56

Reply from 172.217.6.110: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 172.217.6.110:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 32ms

Any ideas how I can either default to the IPv4 ping or hopefully successfully ping a IPv6 address? When I test my IPv6 compatibility through the Google test site (Ready for the future of the Internet?), I get this response:

Ready for the future of the Internet?

No problems detected.

You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support.

Stephen Albright, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Safe DNS Project

AFAIK, which really aint much here, if you can block duplicate, before the "ANY", requests per [*insert* time frame] that may help reduce a few numbers without being too limiting. If you can trace the source of requests, I dont why you cant add specific IPs to your blacklisting, even if temporary.

DeathtoGnomes, Feb 20, 2019
  4. ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error

1. ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error - Similar Threads - ping sends IPv6

2. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ping request timed out with firewall off: Hello everyone,I have a problem when pinging my computer either from another computer in my network or from my computer using the local address of the network interfaces or the loopback address. Each Echo request performed by the ping command times out.In the following I...
  3. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ping request timed out with firewall off: Hello everyone,I have a problem when pinging my computer either from another computer in my network or from my computer using the local address of the network interfaces or the loopback address. Each Echo request performed by the ping command times out.In the following I...
  4. Ping request timed out with firewall off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. DNS request timed out in command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS request timed out in command prompt: Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware 3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and...
  6. Switch to and send requests with IPv6: check compatibility?

Switch to and send requests with IPv6: check compatibility?: Assume I am sitting in a hotel and want to connect from my local Win10 notebook to a remote web server. The connection should not be "normal" IPv4 but IPv6. The remote web server speaks IPv6. Some questions: 1.) Is Win10 out-of-the box able to use IPv6 or do I have to...
  7. Frequent request timed out when pinging

Frequent request timed out when pinging: Please help, i can't even browse properly. imagine gaming. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frequent-request-timed-out-when-pinging/7a2b74f1-e2a9-4fe8-970a-021e05d3b34a
  8. Ping error: Request time out

Ping error: Request time out: Hi, I have a big problem: I am using Windows 10 Home with Kaspersky Total Security. I VMware and running some virtual machines on it (Windows 7 and Windows 10 ENT). I made a loopback network adapter on my Windows 10 Home. Here are the network configurations: Windows...
  9. A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host.

A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host.: Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4 when trying to resolve a hostname with a local DNS. The parallel requests is causing a race condition where ping sometimes...
  10. Finding out IPv6 or IPv4

Finding out IPv6 or IPv4: A dns server not always recognizes for a site the IPv6 number and provides then the IPv4 number. How to find out with IE or Firefox and a certain Website, whether there is an IPv6 or IPv4 connection? 93791

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows IPV6 Ping request could not find host.