Windows 10: Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address

Discus and support Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi. I am studying Active directory. I created a virtual lab to experiment for the couse I am studying.I am using Oracle VM 6.1 and I created 2 virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Fex329, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Fex329 Win User

Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address

Hi. I am studying Active directory. I created a virtual lab to experiment for the couse I am studying.I am using Oracle VM 6.1 and I created 2 virtual machine. One where I installed Windows server 2019 and one wher eI installed Windows7 my laptop cannot run anything bigger than that.In each VM I created 2 network adapters, the first is attached to "internal network" on and the second to a "bridged adapter"I then set the ip of the win2019 VM to 192.168.100.10 and the one for the Win7 machine to 192.168.100.50, both from the network configuration of the OSs.I then activated the DNS service on

:)

Fex329, Jan 27, 2022

2. I am unable to ping most ip addresses

Hi. I am trying to ping an ipv4 address, but I am only able to ping websites, and generic ipv4s like 8.8.8.8, 127.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.1. I cannot ping ipv6s directly, either.

I am using Windows 8.1

JeffreyShroades, Jan 27, 2022
  3. gabgab Win User
    Prefer ipv4 over ipv6

hi,

I want to set ipv4 to be preferred over ipv6, the other day i've used the tips from this Ping returns IPv6 Address, ping IPv4 in Command Prompt - TheITBros on my 2 windows10 computers and everything worked out great!

Now, i just did a win10 update and i noticed that that no longer works even by doing the very same "command" and it kinda gets ignored. Did they just remove the functionality?

This is what i get from netsh interface ipv6 show prefixpolicies (i don't get the longer list anymore but just these):

Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address [​IMG]

So it seems to be preferring ipv4, yet when i ping my site (available on both ipv4 and ipv6), i get output with ipv6, same as google.com - the other day it was working nicely to ipv4 and i only used these 2 commands they suggested:

netsh interface ipv6 set prefix ::/96 60 3

netsh interface ipv6 set prefix ::ffff:0:0/96 55 4

what's going on? I don't want to disable it completely (i know i can disable it from the router or from the network card properties, i just want to de-prioritise it)

[Version 10.0.19044.1387]

thank you,
    Gabrio

- - - Updated - - -

might have answered myself, i've added

netsh interface ipv6 add prefixpolicy ::/0 40 1

and it did the trick... i wonder if it will stick now Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address :)

gabgab, Jan 27, 2022
  4. Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address

Windows 10 Pro unable to ping localhost or its own IPv4.

I have multiple Windows 10 pro computers on my domain network that now have this same issue:

These computers are unable to ping it's own localhost or IPv4 address, they can ping ::1 and IPv6 address!

These computers can ping other computers on the network.

Other computers on the network can ping these computers on the IPv4 address and they echo!

I have checked the firewall, AV settings, checked the registry and policies.

I have ensured our routers are not the issue.

I am meticulous about network settings, updates, policy settings ect...

Nothing anywhere that would prevent ICMP echo.

I have disabled IPv6 and components with no effect and re-enabled them again with no effect.

What is really strange is that it is only on a handful of computers.

Other computers on the same subnet/domain do not have this issue!

Several of those computers are brand new builds, hardware and OS, like within the last month!

This seems rather random and this one has me completely stumped!

HELP! Anyone suggestions?

Johan Pingree, Jan 27, 2022
Thema:

Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address

1. Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address - Similar Threads - Ping wrong IPv4

2. my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address: it does assign one at startup. but it just disappears after 5 seconds after booting upwhen i hover my mouse over my ethernet connection on the taskbar it says there's 2 network connection'sit says there is internet but there's not i cant access itnetworknetwork 2when this...
  3. ping localhost gives ipv6 responce , how to change to ipv4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ping localhost gives ipv6 responce , how to change to ipv4: c:\>ping localhost Pinging XXXXXXXXX[::1] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Ping statistics for ::1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 0% loss, Approximate round trip times in...
  4. ping localhost gives ipv6 responce , how to change to ipv4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ping localhost gives ipv6 responce , how to change to ipv4: c:\>ping localhost Pinging XXXXXXXXX[::1] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Ping statistics for ::1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 0% loss, Approximate round trip times in...
  5. ping localhost gives ipv6 responce , how to change to ipv4

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ping gives the wrong IPv4 address: Hi. I am studying Active directory. I created a virtual lab to experiment for the couse I am studying.I am using Oracle VM 6.1 and I created 2 virtual machine. One where I installed Windows server 2019 and one wher eI installed Windows7 my laptop cannot run anything bigger...
  7. Windows not showing ethernet Ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not showing ethernet Ipv4 address: I want to play minecraft on lan and i can't connect to server without ethernet Ipv4 address. I researched in cmd, it not showing. I tried and in setting of ethernet, but there also not showing address. What me do?...
  8. Disable Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address?

Disable Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address?: All the IP addresses on my home network are static, so why does IPCONFIG /ALL show the following additional IP address on the same Ethernet adapter: Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address (169.254.221.46(Preferred)?...
  9. Autoconfiguration ipv4 address

Autoconfiguration ipv4 address: I static an windows 10 pro pc IP address at my job and when I check command prompt, I still get Autoconfiguration ipv4 address 169.254.254.154 (preferred) showing instead of the IP address I assigned manually. is there a way to stop the Autoconfiguration ipv4 address?...
  10. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...