Windows 10: Ping spikes / Potential packet loss

Discus and support Ping spikes / Potential packet loss in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good evening, Recently I have switched over to Verizon Fios as my ISP. I have a dual band USB adapter in my PC which allows me to connect to WiFi.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ander9991, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ander9991 Win User

Ping spikes / Potential packet loss

Good evening,

Recently I have switched over to Verizon Fios as my ISP. I have a dual band USB adapter in my PC which allows me to connect to WiFi. After having Fios for 2 weeks, I have noticed that I am getting consistent Ping spikes when playing games or even browsing the web and a webpage takes a while to load. This shouldn't happen as my speed is 370Mbps / 350Mbps.

I first realized about this issue when I was playing games like Battlefield 5, Rainbow Six, CSGO, Star Wars Battlefront 2. These spikes would make these games completely unplayable.

I even tried pinging google on command prompt and I notice the ping spikes.

Ping spikes / Potential packet loss 186226bf-1d14-4543-919c-b2f89caa581e?upload=true.png

Some things to note:

1 On the latest version of Windows 10

2 This issue only occurs on my desktop

I have tried a numerous of things that I have read upon on the forums:

1 Updated network drivers

2 Turning on and off Airplane mode and Wifi

3 Reinstalling network drivers after uninstalling them

4 Disabling IpV6 on my network connection

5 Running netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wi-Fi 2" in cmd prompt

6 Factory resetting my PC and installing Windows. *** This actually fixed the issue but the issue returned 2 days later ***

7 Restarting my router

I have honestly no idea no what else to do. I would appreciate any replies and thank you for your time.

:)

ander9991, Jan 7, 2020

2. Experiencing Severe packet loss and high pings

Bump, the command spearman suggested boosted the d/l speed to 70kb/s, however it didn't fix the packet loss issue, the ping issue's still there but has much less of an effect.

crazy pyro, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Getting weird spikes of packet loss

At random intervals (often every minute or less) I will get packet loss. This is most noticeable and irritating when I am gaming. It doesn't matter what game they all do the same thing, ping stays the same but I will lose connection or just stand there. (There's almost a rubber band effect where on my screen I keep moving but then my connection catches up and I ping back to where I lost connection)

If I ping google in the CMD it usually goes like so:

ping -t www.gogle.com
    reply from google with 10ms etc (multiple times)
    Request timed out (When this happens I lose connection in my games)
    then it goes back to replies from google

packet loss will range between 1 and 5% on a constant basis.

I've contacted my ISP and they said my line is fine. So does this mean it's on my end?
    Secondly I was online in a game when this problem occurred, over night my connection dropped and then it reconnected and having this packet issue.

I've tried so many things but nothing works.
    • E.g changing MTU values
    • connecting directly to the modem (still gets the packet loss)
    • tracert to see which hops are bad (I didn't really understand what I saw tbh but nothing looked amiss)
    • power cycling the router and modem
    • connecting to the test socket
    • changing / sorting out the cables
    (I'm on TalkTalk Fibre broadboad by the way, my upload and download are fine)

Please help!! *Frown Ping spikes / Potential packet loss :(

ShavenTortoise, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Ozpa Win User

Any small apps to check connection ping and packet loss?

Hello. I'm looking if you guys can suggest any small applications out there that can test your ping (something like Pingtest.net but shouldn't be in a browser) and packet loss too. I used to use something a while back but I forgot the name *Bang Head :banghead:

Ozpa, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Ping spikes / Potential packet loss - Similar Threads - Ping spikes Potential

2. super high ping, lag, and packet loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    super high ping, lag, and packet loss: When playing my favourite games like valorant, apex, or even running a discord, my ping usually spikes up to 3000ms. This happens lately and I have nothing change beforehand. What should I do?...
  3. super high ping, lag, and packet loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    super high ping, lag, and packet loss: When playing my favourite games like valorant, apex, or even running a discord, my ping usually spikes up to 3000ms. This happens lately and I have nothing change beforehand. What should I do?...
  4. Super High Ping and Packet loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Super High Ping and Packet loss: While playing games such as valorant, apex legends or minecraft, or using discord, my ping has very frequently spikes from its usual 30 ping to about 3000. I have had some rare ping spikes that were really bad before, but never have they been so frequent as it has been for...
  5. Super High Ping and Packet loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Super High Ping and Packet loss: While playing games such as valorant, apex legends or minecraft, or using discord, my ping has very frequently spikes from its usual 30 ping to about 3000. I have had some rare ping spikes that were really bad before, but never have they been so frequent as it has been for...
  6. Super High Ping and Packet loss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Network Packet Loss and Ping Spikes Until I Play a Game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Packet Loss and Ping Spikes Until I Play a Game: Hi. My internet is having issues with packet loss and ping spike. I'm using ethernet and have tried other connections but still have the same issue. Other devices on my network have the same issue but they don't usually lose packets or ping spike in sync with other devices....
  8. Network Packet Loss and Ping Spikes Until I Play a Game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Packet Loss and Ping Spikes Until I Play a Game: Hi. My internet is having issues with packet loss and ping spike. I'm using ethernet and have tried other connections but still have the same issue. Other devices on my network have the same issue but they don't usually lose packets or ping spike in sync with other devices....
  9. Network Packet Loss and Ping Spikes Until I Play a Game

10. Ping spikes and packet losses on Windows laptop

Ping spikes and packet losses on Windows laptop: Hello community!I am getting ping spikes and packet losses on my Windows laptop. Let me put here all the details.Laptop: i5 8th gen, Windows 10 pro 20H2 build no.19042.964I am using a router, dlink dir 615IN which is good, i mean it was working well past an year or so and I...