Windows 10: Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

Discus and support Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Coro123, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Coro123 Win User

Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or Word will open blank but the document does not open.

When I open the pinned shortcuts folder "C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs", the shortcuts work correctly from there though.

I have tried using the "Pin to Start" from the context menu with the actual document itself, and also with a shortcut file (create a shortcut first, then pin this shortcut to start).

Restart makes no difference either (as was suggested on WindowsClub page above).

So frustrating! Just upgraded from Windows 7 and was hoping this would be an easier process on Windows 10 *Rolleyes

:)

Coro123, Feb 15, 2019
  2. MDD0799 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Feb 15, 2019
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Feb 15, 2019
  4. GPM949 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Your answer related to pinning apps to the start menu.

The question was can you pin desktop shortcuts to the start menu, or to the apps list?

GPM949, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working - Similar Threads - Pinned excel word

2. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  3. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  4. pinning an excel file to the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    pinning an excel file to the start menu: is there a way to pin a frequently used excel file to the start menu....I had this working for a while but the latest windows10 update seemed to have killed this option (an older reg edit that I have tried to repeat ...not working) is there another, more current workaround...
  5. Unable to start Excel and Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to start Excel and Word: I have windows 10 and I have on my machine Office 2016. I have the icons for word, excel and one note on the task bar. One note will open with the usual double click on its icon however neither word nor excel will open without highlighting the icon and selecting open as...
  6. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  7. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  8. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  9. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914