Windows 10: Pinned Items in Quick Access randomly disappear after Windows update

Discus and support Pinned Items in Quick Access randomly disappear after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've searched through many websites and forums trying to find a fix for this issue but no fixes have worked. I'm quite aggravated by this point.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LC777#, Aug 25, 2020.

1. LC777# Win User

Pinned Items in Quick Access randomly disappear after Windows update

Hi,

I've searched through many websites and forums trying to find a fix for this issue but no fixes have worked. I'm quite aggravated by this point. I rely heavily on the Quick Access feature as a time saver but since the latest Windows update, I have to find and manually repin my items every couple of days because they just disappear. I've also noticed the items I've pinned to the Toolbar icons also disappear.

A few months ago, I fought to find a fix after a Microsoft update caused my laptop to no longer "see" my camera and microphone. My frustration level at this point is indescribable. I understand the importance of security updates. What I do not understand is why updates are being pushed out if they are breaking things. And why is Microsoft not coming forward with fixes for the breaks???

I'm running Win 10 Pro v1909. The last fix I tried for this current problem worked for a little over a day. Sometimes, when the pinned items disappear, they're replaced with the default items Desktop, Documents, etc, sometimes they're replaced with a couple of recent files and sometimes it's just empty.

Does anyone have a fix that isn't just temporary?

Thank you

:)

LC777#, Aug 25, 2020
  2. Def8er Win User

Quick Access dropdown items disappeared

Hello everyone,
    I finally gave up trying various solutions suggested by strangers on the internet and instead ask about my specific problem.
    I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary this morning when I noticed that some, but not all, pinned items in my quick access sidebar have disappeared but were still visible in the folder. Reboot didn't fix that and then I lost a restore point by creating a custom one (apparently I can have only one restore point...).

Then I checked my registry for IsShortcut which was present, so I deleted it and made it again, still nothing.
    Then I followed some advice to clear my jump lists the Win7 way (option 3) and ended up with the Quick Access entirely broken.

I can still see all the pinned items in the quick access folder, but it doesn't expand in the sidebar. The arrow right next to the icon is present till I click on it. Then it just disappears.

I am open to any ideas at this point. I use quick access a lot but I'd prefer not to do a factory reset for that. Oh why isn't there a registry/permissions fix tool for Win...
    Thank you everyone

Solved: the problem fixed itself after a bunch of random logouts, shutdowns and reboots, sorry to disappoint those with similar issues. Oh and I also removed all the contents of the Quick Access folder and after a few reboots pinned a single library (documents iirc) back

Def8er, Aug 25, 2020
  3. Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Aug 25, 2020
  4. ArmaRayo Win User

File Explorer Quick Access trouble.. Cannot pin items

File Explorer is behaving weird - I cannot pin items to Quick Access. When I pin items they won't appear to QA. Also when dragging items to QA nothing happens and there's a small icon indicating that is not possible.

I did some "tweaks" with Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.5 but I haven't found a setting there that could of made QA to not function.

I did some steps as remedy that I found with Google but those didn't help.

Any suggestions?

ArmaRayo, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Pinned Items in Quick Access randomly disappear after Windows update - Similar Threads - Pinned Items Quick

2. Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer: My Documents Folders keep disappearing and being replaced by another single Document Folder. How do I stop this from happening, it's almost daily now!I found this link, but it doesn't help either:...
  3. Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer: My Documents Folders keep disappearing and being replaced by another single Document Folder. How do I stop this from happening, it's almost daily now!I found this link, but it doesn't help either:...
  4. Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice

Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice: Items pinned in quick access recently stopped appearing on the sidebar under Home. Instead, they appear in this block on the left. For a brief time they actually appeared in the old location as well, but now they only appear in this block.I like Quick access, and just want...
  5. Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer: In Windows 11 Pro, several times since mid-November, all of my Quick Access items in File Explorer have completely disappeared after reboot, with only the default items remaining ie. Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures.This is maddening. All updates applied. Anyone else...
  6. Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer

Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer: In Windows 11 Pro, several times since mid-November, all of my Quick Access items in File Explorer have completely disappeared after reboot, with only the default items remaining ie. Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures.This is maddening. All updates applied. Anyone else...
  7. Quick Access Toolbar Not saving Pinned Items

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Access Toolbar Not saving Pinned Items: Win10PRO ver.20H2 OS build; 19042.804 Short Story; when you open explorer to see C: drive or any other drives, on the Left pane is QUICK ACCESS, Either by dragging something in there or rightclicking and adding it Quick Access, it stays but after a restart of the...
  8. Quick Access Pins Disappear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Quick Access Pins Disappear: The folders that I pin to quick access disappear after a few days/weeks. The default pins stay, but the ones I add do not. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-pins-disappear/5596e1d2-9295-4c4c-a0be-d9080ac59077
  9. Pinning an Item to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinning an Item to Quick Access: Is there a way to pin a removable drive to Quick Access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinning-an-item-to-quick-access/40ce39e6-f581-4bb1-bdc3-08c17a93cb0f
  10. Quick Access dropdown items disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access dropdown items disappeared: Hello everyone, I finally gave up trying various solutions suggested by strangers on the internet and instead ask about my specific problem. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary this morning when I noticed that some, but not all, pinned items in my quick access...