Windows 10: Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

Discus and support Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists] in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I ran into a problem again recently when I was helping set up a coworker's workspace. Right-clicking on office programs in the Task Bar for me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DerrekJames, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

I ran into a problem again recently when I was helping set up a coworker's workspace.

Right-clicking on office programs in the Task Bar for me always shows my recently opened files and files I have pinned there. His weren't showing recent files at all. He could pin files, but they dropped off the list once they were closed.

I searched the web and found MANY unanswered question posts about this. I'm hoping this might help someone. If anything, it will help me the next time I forget.

The feature that allows you to see those recent and pinned files is called Jump Lists. I don't know if it was the admins at our company or if it is off by default, but Jump Lists were turned off. If you are having this issue on your work computer, your first step is to make sure Jump Lists are turned on.

You can turn on Jump Lists in these settings:

Windows Settings > Personalization > Start > Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar Toggle it On.

You could also just search for Jump within the start menu to get to these settings.

:)

DerrekJames, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Tony K Win User

Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

Hi, Shawn. Been learning a few things. A solution to my "Pin file to" in File Explorer context menu problem. Not sure to call these jump lists or context menus. You may want to add this to your tutorial here, for it deals with the Office apps Start tiles' jump lists/context menus. Right click on an Office app tile and pin a recently opened file to the jump list/context menu.

Here's the Word tile list/menu. This works in Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access.

Attachment 136132

Anther handy quick list in Office Outlook.

Attachment 136134

Even the Paint tile has a Recent list to pin a file to a jump list. I'd imagine any "creative" app will have the same.

If you don't want to add here, I can make a tute on the subject, that's if there is not one already.

Tony K, Aug 7, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

Pinned stuff on jump lists

I quite like the jump lists. I use them on IE11, Mozilla and file explorer quite a bit. Each of these are pinned to my task bar. If I right click say IE11 I can see the jump list for frequent tasks such as private browsing, frequent sites and then I have pinned some sites. Same for file explorer where I’ve pinned some folders. Trouble is after a restart if I initially right click on one of these all my pinned things show generic icons. But it only does this on the first right click, if I do it again all is normal. And it only affects things that I have pinned and not the default actions on said jump list. Example, I right click
    IE11 and all the pinned sites show as a generic white sheet of paper icon as opposed to their website fav icon. Next right click the fav icons all show. Same with file explorer, first right click pinned folders like photos, videos show as generic yellow folder icon. Next right click the normal icons show up. All then ok until I next login/boot. Strange annoyance that most people haven’t prob noticed but it irks me. I unticked jump list recent items in settings and enabled again but it made no difference. It’s hard to explain and impossible to capture a screenshot to show

thanks
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

1. Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists] - Similar Threads - Pinned Office Files

2. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  3. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  4. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?: I would like to keep certain files pinned to a jump list on icons on the task bar--but I don't want to see the Recent files that also populate the jump list. Is there a way to remove those Recent files? FWIW I just updated to Windows 11 beta 22621.1....
  5. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?: I would like to keep certain files pinned to a jump list on icons on the task bar--but I don't want to see the Recent files that also populate the jump list. Is there a way to remove those Recent files? FWIW I just updated to Windows 11 beta 22621.1....
  6. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  7. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  8. list of files jumps to the top

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    list of files jumps to the top: It is the issue with File Explorer. When I open a long list of files trying to go through it, it suddenly jumps up, to the beginning https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-of-files-jumps-to-the-top/36787289-5415-4a6c-b104-b14b6199b826
  9. Pinned document in jump list cannot be removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned document in jump list cannot be removed: Good day. Experiencing troubles when I try to remvove a pinned document on the jump list of Word that is pinned to my task bar. When I right click the Word app I can see the entry. It is possible to pin the same document again - in this case the same document gets pinned...
  10. Pinned stuff on jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned stuff on jump lists: I quite like the jump lists. I use them on IE11, Mozilla and file explorer quite a bit. Each of these are pinned to my task bar. If I right click say IE11 I can see the jump list for frequent tasks such as private browsing, frequent sites and then I have pinned some sites....