Windows 10: pinning an excel file to the start menu

Discus and support pinning an excel file to the start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; is there a way to pin a frequently used excel file to the start menu....I had this working for a while but the latest windows10 update seemed to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by robmikwv, Nov 6, 2019.

1. robmikwv Win User

pinning an excel file to the start menu

is there a way to pin a frequently used excel file to the start menu....I had this working for a while but the latest windows10 update seemed to have killed this option (an older reg edit that I have tried to repeat ...not working) is there another, more current workaround ??

:)

robmikwv, Nov 6, 2019

2. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

Thanks Annu.

In Method 1, at step 2, the file I want doesn't already appear in the Start menu. Do mean to browse to the file I want in the File Explorer? If I right click on the file in the File Explorer, "Pin to Start menu" is not an option.

In Method 2, at step 4, I release the left button, but the file doesn't appear anywhere in the Start Menu afterwards. It's not listed along with my Most Used apps, and it's not pinned in the Jump Menu of Excel 2007.

Maybe I misunderstood something in your directions?

Cheers,

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Nov 6, 2019
  3. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

I have W10 and Excel 2007.

I commonly use a file XYZ.xlsx, and I'd like to be able to do the following.

Click Start --> hover over the arrow to the right of Excel 2007 --> show jump list --> click on XYZ.xlsx, either under the "Pinned" or the "Recent" section.

However, when I do the steps above, nothing shows under "Pinned", even though I've pinned XYZ.xlsx inside Excel 2007, I've opened, saved and closed the file several times, etc. Somehow W10 still doesn't know this is a file I want to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Nov 6, 2019
  4. AndreTen Win User

Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

Hi Coro123, and welcome to Tenforums!

In Windows 10, I found the most practical way to quick access certain documents is via context menu.

Quickest is if you pin Word (not a document) to Taskbar, and by right click on it you have a list of documents. You can pin any document in list - it will appear on the top and stay there.

It is the same for Start menu. Right click on Word tile it will give you context menu with recent files

About Pin to start in contect menu, here are tutorials by Brink. You can ask him there too *Wink

Add or Remove Pin to Start Context Menu in Windows 10

pinning an excel file to the start menu [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

1. pinning an excel file to the start menu - Similar Threads - pinning excel file

2. pin to start an excel file

in Microsoft Office and 365
    pin to start an excel file: I would like to pin an excel file to start. I downloaded and ran the "pin to start" reg file. It does work for things like folders, but it does not appear for my excel file. Is it possible to have "pin to start" work for files? Windows 10, version 1903, build 18362.1016 162807
  3. pin to start an excel file

in Windows 10 Support
    pin to start an excel file: I would like to pin an excel file to start. I downloaded and ran the "pin to start" reg file. It does work for things like folders, but it does not appear for my excel file. Is it possible to have "pin to start" work for files? 162807
  4. How to pin a bat file to start menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to pin a bat file to start menu: Before anyone points to the various workarounds, I've tried all I can find and they all seem to have problems. I want to be able to give other people in my office a folder of files eg, on a usb stick that they can move to a location on their PC that allow them to connect to...
  5. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  6. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  7. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  8. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  9. Start Menu Files pinned to the Apps listed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Files pinned to the Apps listed: In my search window, the only files that show up when I right-click one of the APP icons are OneDrive files. In earlier versions of WIN10 I could also see the local files I had opened with those apps. How do I restore that? Thanks!...
  10. Pin Excel to start and or taskbar

Pin Excel to start and or taskbar: Cannot Pin Excel to start menu or task bar. Office shows on start menu but have to open it first then Excel. Excel does not show on list of programs. It opens fine when I go to office THEN to excel but would be more convenient to go directly to Excel since I use it often 100276