Windows 10: Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

Discus and support Pinning items to left side of Start Menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheMany, Nov 12, 2015.

1. TheMany Win User

Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings.

Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this besides a third party program?

Every tutorial I could find on the internet indicates I should get a "Pin to Start Menu" when I drag a shortcut directly onto the Start button. But all I get is a "Link" icon. And when I drop the shortcut, it goes into oblivion.

:)

TheMany, Nov 12, 2015

2. pinning favortes to left side

no, I see nothing like this. I am trying to fine tune my windows 10. I don't know how to get a screen shot on this message. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu? :(

What I see directly under the minimizer, maximize and x is three lines that I use to open favorites hub. when that opens I have at the top.....the favorite star, reading list, history and download arrow. then over on the right side is the pin.

donna in michigan, Nov 12, 2015
  3. pinning favortes to left side

Hmmm, that explains a LOT. Can I use IE?

donna in michigan, Nov 12, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

As far as I know that area is for newly installed apps. They also show up in all apps, etc. It just makes it easier to find when you install something new.

JohnC, Nov 12, 2015
  5. TheMany Win User
    Thanks, John. It just seems redundant. I can find newly installed programs by going to the all apps and looking for the word "New" next to them. And I usually know the name of the program I just installed.

The ability to pin was apparently in one of the releases prior to Windows 10 actual release. But if it's like the mail program (where they took out the accounts at the bottom left, and then put it back in an update) they'll do the same with this.

That blank area is just ridiculous. It populates with one newly installed program and then even that disappears after a while.

Maybe I could rent out that space.*sarc

TheMany, Nov 12, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    Even turning off "Show recently added apps" here doesn't fix it:
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu? [​IMG]

7. JohnC Win User
    I just stumbled on this: go to Settings >Personalization > Start >chose which Folders appear on start. You can turn on as many as you need to fill that space.

JohnC, Nov 14, 2015
  8. TheMany Win User

John,

I appreciate your post, but I already knew about that. I've turned all of them on (all ten of them) and there's still several inches of blank space on my 1920x1200 monitor.

We just need to be able to pin programs of our choice in that area.

As I mentioned, they had that feature in a pre-release Insiders beta but took it out at the last minute for some unknown reason.

Thanks for looking though.

TheMany, Nov 14, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    I know it's not much but, if it helps, you can change the execution path of 6 of those entries:

Pinning items to left side of Start Menu? [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 14, 2015
  10. TheMany Win User
    Thanks, Edwin. I just tried it with My Music and only got a "Pin to Start" context menu.

I'll work on it some more, because I see you have one that says "Registry" which I assume means Regedit.exe.

But that'll help some.

TheMany, Nov 15, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    I think this is a big monitor issue and not a win10 issue,, no space extra on my Acer 10.1 screen

caperjack, Nov 15, 2015
  12. TheMany Win User
    caperjack,

Well... yes and no. Because I can collapse the Start menu until the space disappears, but what's the use in having a tiny menu on a large screen?

If it was designed properly, it would be customizable for any screen. And as I have stated several times in the thread, MS did have this function. So obviously someone there thought it a good idea.

Anyhow, I'm done with it. Thanks everyone for your help.

TheMany, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu? - Similar Threads - Pinning items left

2. Adding custom folders to left side of start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding custom folders to left side of start menu: Hi, I was wondering if there was a way of adding custom folders instead of download , music etc folders on left of start menu. I have tried kinda everything from personalize settings and start settings. but nothing seems to work out. Thank you for your help....
  3. Pinned items disappear in start menu

Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  4. Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved

Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved: 1) Browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places 2) Rename one of the existing folders there to what folder you want it to be 3) Right-click > Properties to said folder and set new destination folder address 4) Go to Settings App > Personalization > Start >...
  5. Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu

Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu: I did an upgrade from win 7 to 10. Some glitches, but nothing I can handle. But i didn't like when u pin down a short cut on the start menu, it went to right. I want some program to pin down on the leftside, like win7. Is't possible to do that on win10? 14515
  6. Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?

Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?: hello. I wanted to add some programs to the top of the left side of the start menu (free space on the screenshoot). I have read about the "Pin to Start List" if you rightclick while holding shift. But this seems not to be working anymore!?!?! Is there another possibility...
  7. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  8. Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Left-hand side start menu true customisation?: Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of selection. For example,...
  9. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  10. Expand the start menu (left side)

in Windows 10 Support
    Expand the start menu (left side): Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles. Thanks. 24456

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add items left side of start menu