Windows 10: Pinning to Start Menu very buggy

Discus and support Pinning to Start Menu very buggy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I'm surprised that such an obvious bug is still present till now in Win10, at least in my case. For some reason, pinning a Desktop shortcut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Pinning to Start Menu very buggy

Hey all,

I'm surprised that such an obvious bug is still present till now in Win10, at least in my case. For some reason, pinning a Desktop shortcut to the Start Menu (right-clicking on it -> Pin to Start Menu) for the first time after (re)booting Windows works normally, but if you unpin it and want to pin it again to the Start Menu, it won't appear there again. You'd have to reboot Windows and pin it again to make it appear.

This seems to only happen with pinning Desktop icons of Third party apps (in my case RealTemp for example).

Is this happening to others as well?

:)

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  2. Tanyamac Win User

Start Menu/ pinning icons. windows is buggy and slow beyond belief

i recently updated to windows 10 from 7 and my start menu does not work at all. you can click on it and it responds by turning purple but nothing happens. As well as when trying to pin icons to the menu bar, the right button does not work to pin it. im
    not very techy i attempted to go through windows boards and even tried running some administrator SFC thing that was sposed to work for someone with a similar problem, it says you may have to run it 3 times before it works correctly but i dont know how to
    tell if what im doing is working or not. i honestly just wish i could switch back to windows 7 its so much better than this ****. my computer was slow enough already now its twice as slow

Tanyamac, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Start Menu/ pinning icons. windows is buggy and slow beyond belief

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. We regret the inconvenience you are facing. This issue usually arises due to outdated drivers. You may try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.
    To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If you are unable to find the drivers for Windows 10, you may try to
    install the drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1.

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it.

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

If the issue persists,

Crete a new User account

To create a new user account, refer to the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft link:

Set up accounts

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Sahil Bali, Sep 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Ideally it should not be necessary even to do that, as, having installed the desktop program and assuming you allowed it to create start menu shortcuts, they would already appear in the Start Menu.

I've just tried it, and can unpin and repin freely - it appears as a tile in Win 10's start menu.
    The context menu entry 'Pin to Start' changes to 'Unpin... if the shortcut is already pinned.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    The thing is, there are portable apps that don't install (such as RealTemp). Nevertheless, an option should work no matter how many times you choose it. It's very weird that one should reboot Windows to apply such a simple task.

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok.. I've just tried it, and can unpin and repin freely - it appears as a tile in Win 10's start menu.
    The context menu entry 'Pin to Start' changes to 'Unpin...' if the shortcut is already pinned.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  7. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for trying it out. Was that done with a RealTemp icon on the Desktop?

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

No, I don't have that- I just copied a shortcut from my Classic Shell start menu onto the desktop and used that.

However, I just used a different exe and copied that to the desktop, created a shortcut, and as you say, can't see it after attempting to repin it on the start menu.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    I think it doesn't work for apps that aren't listed in the Start Menu list. Also, it seems that the number of times you unpin and repin is random until it doesn't work anymore. Just tried it with another app and the first 2 repins worked normally, after that not anymore.

What gives?

JohnnyGui, Sep 2, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you report this via Feedback and/or MS's technet web site, stating your Windows build, whether you're running as admin or not, the location of the file etc.

It's not dependent on whether the exe and shortcut is in a USER folder - I just tried with those on a completely different disk.
    Once again, am glad I use Classic Shell.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  11. JohnnyGui Win User
    Just did through the Feedback Hub. Is there anyway I can go into the English Feedback Hub? I have the Dutch version of WIndows 10.

JohnnyGui, Sep 8, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    You can't pin portable apps to start.

You can't find portable apps with search.

All you can do is make a shortcut and stick it in C:\Users\<whatever>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (or put it in %programdata% for everyone)

This is a rubbish change in Windows 10 I've already reported. Windows 7 and 8 did not work the same.

13. JohnnyGui Win User

In WIndows 7 and 8 you could pin the shortcut of portable apps to the Start Menu. In Windows 10 as well but the bug here is that if you unpin the shortcut and pin it again, it won't get pinned again. You'd have to reboot the PC and pin it again for the change to apply.

JohnnyGui, Sep 8, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    Press *Start type the name of your portable program and see if you can find it.

I think you will find you can not.

15. JohnnyGui Win User
    Ah, that's what you meant. I tried it and I can't find it indeed, it's bizarre. However, the problem I was describing is different from this, it's about pinning the shortcuts to the Start Menu. Nevertheless, this all does mean that the Start Menu really needs to be reviewed.

JohnnyGui, Sep 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Pinning to Start Menu very buggy - Similar Threads - Pinning Start Menu

2. Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy?: Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy? it begin when I select an image for my app's tile, and then the start menu lags and closes on its own. I know it's just a small issue, but it bothers me.I already try these fixes but it didn't work.Check for UpdatesRestart...
  3. Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy?: Is the photo app tile in Windows 10 start menu buggy? it begin when I select an image for my app's tile, and then the start menu lags and closes on its own. I know it's just a small issue, but it bothers me.I already try these fixes but it didn't work.Check for UpdatesRestart...
  4. Very Laggy / buggy Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very Laggy / buggy Laptop: Hello, My Name's Mariam And my laptop is Very badly Laggy!So i just Re-installed Windows AndInstalled Some of the driversBut when i Installed Windows I Selected a 199 GB Drive Instead of my Normal C: Drive that had 110 GBSo i have more C: Storage.But since i installed...
  5. Very Laggy / buggy Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very Laggy / buggy Laptop: Hello, My Name's Mariam And my laptop is Very badly Laggy!So i just Re-installed Windows AndInstalled Some of the driversBut when i Installed Windows I Selected a 199 GB Drive Instead of my Normal C: Drive that had 110 GBSo i have more C: Storage.But since i installed...
  6. Very Laggy / buggy Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cortana very buggy

in Cortana
    Cortana very buggy: Lately, Cortana has been very unreliable to me. When I'm about to speak, it'll either close itself or say sorry I didn't hear anything. When I finally get it to not close and listen to me, it will repeat something very different than what I said. Is there any fix to this?...
  8. Windows 10 very buggy behavior

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 very buggy behavior: Hi. Recently my windows is doing weird things. Like random blue screens at least twice a day,explorer freaking out for no apparent reason, programs randomly turning off,weird beeping when i turn on steam games. I know reinstalling OS might help but it'sfresh install and I'm...
  9. Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Only "pin to start" (as a tile) and not "pin to start menu"?: Hello! I haven't tried the previews but follow the development through blogs and YouTube. I am running 8.1 on all my PC's and love it. I've become used to the start screen and tiles but was under the impression that the new start menu in 10 would make it possible to pin...
  10. Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours: → PLEASE VIEW THE IMAGES BELOW TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ← [img] [img] [img] [img] To quickly summarize because I made a similar thread like this... I did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 Pro and upgraded to the Anniversary Update Version 1607 (OS Build...