Windows 10: Pinning to Taskbar doesn't do Anything

Discus and support Pinning to Taskbar doesn't do Anything in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently having a problem where pinning any kind of shortcut to the taskbar via its context menu doesn't do anything. That is, a pin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Felewin, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Felewin Win User

Pinning to Taskbar doesn't do Anything

Hi,

I'm currently having a problem where pinning any kind of shortcut to the taskbar via its context menu doesn't do anything. That is, a pin doesn't appear on the taskbar, and in the location '%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar' no shortcut file is created.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Professional. That may be the cause.
    Another potential factor is that previously, I have followed this guide (using both methods described) in order to further customize my system. The reason I mention that is because in researching I read the answer posted here. Unfortunately, I have not been able to fix the problem by undoing the first method of that guide; also there is no way to undo the second method of that guide, and I have been unsuccessful in fixing the problem by following the solution that answer describes (I couldn't find the 'Inkfile' folder). By the way, is it wrong that the 'link' key I deleted in following the process to undo the first method hasn't reappeared after restarting?

I'm not sure what to try next.
    I would really appreciate some help... sorry to be foolish enough to try and customize my system a bit, if that is what caused this issue.
    For now, I guess I'll have to use shortcut toolbars on my taskbar. Or is there a registry location where I can at least go in and, say, add a key with a shortcut address and icon address to add a pin with those properties?

Thanks in advance,

:)

Felewin, Aug 26, 2015

2. Mail App in Windows 10 - Version 1703 - Build 15063.138 (Creators Update)

As I wrote previously: "Right-clicking on the icon only offers "Pin to Taskbar", however
    IT IS ALREADY PINNED TO THE TASKBAR. I would like to UN{IN the Windows 10 Mail app icon from my taskbar but there is NO OPTION TO DO SO!

I think it would be quite obvious to try pinning it to the taskbar first if it wasn't already pinned there. However, if you meant just click on the words "pin to taskbar" to see if "UNpin to taskbar" appears, then I've already tried that too.

It is obviously a glitch with the new Creators Update, and restarting in safe mode, or anything like that, doesn't fix it either.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway...

johntdrums, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Size of icons in Windows 10 task bar

Google "7+ Taskbar Tweaker"

Can set pinned or running app Icons larger but doesn't do anything for the system tray icons. Or other toolbars.

BeefRWijker, Aug 26, 2015
Thema:

Pinning to Taskbar doesn't do Anything

1. Pinning to Taskbar doesn't do Anything - Similar Threads - Pinning Taskbar doesn't

2. My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything: My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything, and i need to fix it right nowdo not reinstall windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-taskbar-is-broken-it-doesnt-show-anything/ea5ddd9d-c91b-4044-965e-621fad872399
  3. My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything: My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything, and i need to fix it right nowdo not reinstall windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-taskbar-is-broken-it-doesnt-show-anything/ea5ddd9d-c91b-4044-965e-621fad872399
  4. My taskbar is broken, it doesn't show anything

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win 11 - "Pin isn't available" and "Set up my PIN" doesn't do anything

Win 11 - "Pin isn't available" and "Set up my PIN" doesn't do anything: Hi everyoneRecently got a new PC with Windows 11 on it. I set up the PIN and have been using it for about 2 weeks without any issues. However I turned on my PC this afternoon and got a message that says:"Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your...
  6. Pc device doesn't do anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc device doesn't do anything.: Hello,I am a 14 years old kid trying to boot my pc but i can't.1 Month ago I tried to installa game and when i did try i opened winrar and it showed me a setup.I knew about it was a scam or something bc i was also trying downloading other games from the same site but this one...
  7. Pc device doesn't do anything.

Pc device doesn't do anything.: Hello,I am a 14 years old kid trying to boot my pc but i can't.1 Month ago I tried to installa game and when i did try i opened winrar and it showed me a setup.I knew about it was a scam or something bc i was also trying downloading other games from the same site but this one...
  8. Taskbar Doesn't Retain Pin

Taskbar Doesn't Retain Pin: I have an App Twitter pinned to my taskbar. The taskbar is locked. Yet if I quit the app, it disappears from the taskbar, and I have to launch it for Start agin and try to pin it to the taskbar....
  9. If the taskbar has multiple windows of anything files, photos, apps, anything it doesn't...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    If the taskbar has multiple windows of anything files, photos, apps, anything it doesn't...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUuQMrdTHTc looks like I am double-clicking it but I am not. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-the-taskbar-has-multiple-windows-of-anything/0f070e74-ee09-4dd7-b077-2a69c26c8bed
  10. Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar

Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar: I saw threads from 2017 about this and they were closed. I have to say that today everything updated as of the creation of this thread that for instance, Messenger beta pinned to the Taskbar from the Start menu, will be pinned ok but after closing the app, the icon goes away...