Windows 10: Piping Powershell output fails

Discus and support Piping Powershell output fails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm in the Admin Powershell window. I'm trying to install azure modules on my Windows 10 Enterprise workstation, version 10.0.18362.778 The install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RonNewYork, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Piping Powershell output fails

I'm in the Admin Powershell window. I'm trying to install azure modules on my Windows 10 Enterprise workstation, version 10.0.18362.778

The install fails and I want to capture the output so I go (at the powershell prompt):

Install-Module -name -Az -Verbose -Force | Out-File C:\powershell\errors.txt

But errors.txt is of 0 length.

Just to test the system I did:

Get-Process | Out-File c:\powershell\processes.txt

and that file was 58,820 bytes long, so the syntax seems OK.

What's wrong?

RON

:)

RonNewYork, Apr 19, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Apr 19, 2020
  3. Pipe file content into PowerShell command without loading the entire file to memory

Check my answer to this question: PowerShell's pipe adds linefeed

beatcracker, Apr 19, 2020
  4. IggSter Win User

Piping Powershell output fails

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

Piping Powershell output fails

1. Piping Powershell output fails - Similar Threads - Piping Powershell output

2. Lost Vertical Pipe Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Vertical Pipe Key: Hello, somehow, my vertical pipe key doesn't work anymore, I live in Norway and have a nordic keyboard layout and on my keyboard it's a button of it's own, together with paragraph symbol, no shift + or alt + to use it normally. And I cannot recreate it with any combo buttons....
  3. I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.: 04/06/2022 – I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed. I am using visual studio and package manager console, visual studio 2019, Core 5.0 MVC With Angular. I also have aso have sql 2008r2, 2014,2017, but i use sql server 2012,.This is what I run and...
  4. I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.: 04/06/2022 – I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed. I am using visual studio and package manager console, sql server 2012, visual studio 2019, Core 5.0 MVC With Angular. This is what I run and the error message:Scaffold-DbContext 'Data...
  5. I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.

I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.: 04/06/2022 – I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed. I am using visual studio and package manager console, sql server 2012, visual studio 2019, Core 5.0 MVC With Angular. This is what I run and the error message:Scaffold-DbContext 'Data...
  6. I get a no process is on the other end of the pipe. Login failed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. PowerShell Output to Log File

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell Output to Log File: I know that "Get-Hotfix" in PowerShell will get me a nice output of my installed updates. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to get a log (for lack of a better term) file on my Desktop of this output. Thanks! 178246
  8. PowerShell fails to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PowerShell fails to start: I recently had need to run PowerShell. When invoked from the graphical interface, the PowerShell window only briefly appears. When run from the cmd window, the following error is shown: Windows PowerShell terminated with the following error: Could not load file or...
  9. Hashing in powershell, output to a text file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hashing in powershell, output to a text file.: I want to hash file with sha512 and output it to txt file, as it doesn't show in powershell, because it is too long! So code is like this. Code: get-filehash "D:\files\OS\Linux\Debian\debian-10.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso" -Algorithm SHA512 c:\test.txt It gives error code like...
  10. How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10

How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10: I'm at the command line. I want the output of the "set" command to go directly to my printer. I tried the following: set | notepad.exe I expected the output of the set command to become input to the notepad.exe command which then would print it out. Instead I get a...