Windows 10: Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box

Discus and support Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win 7 so do not know if the places bar (on side of box) was present in Win 8. Having the places bar was very handy for me in Win 7. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by omegatx, Oct 13, 2015.

1. omegatx Win User

Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box

I upgraded from Win 7 so do not know if the places bar (on side of box) was present in Win 8. Having the places bar was very handy for me in Win 7. I had customized the menu to list my most used folders. The Win 10 dialogue box presents you with a tree on the left side making you drill down to your folders each time. I would appreciate any work arounds, customization tips or links to articles that address this issue, including 3rd party apps.

Thanks...

:)

omegatx, Oct 13, 2015
  2. Wishful1 Win User

Image Preview and Recent Places in Windows 10

Hi,

Is there a way to restore the Recent Places functionality when using the Save As dialog box and Open dialogue box? This was a very handy feature that seems to be missing in Windows 10.

Thanks.

Wishful1, Oct 13, 2015
  3. Saving .jpg files other than with Windows Media Player

My operating system is Windows 10 and I am trying to save the file into a folder using File Explorer. When I click on the link to the file, the 'what do you want to do with (name of file)?' dialog box appears and I choose 'save as'. The file explorer dialog
    box then appears but the only option I am given in the 'save as type:' drop down menu is Windows Media Player. Once I have saved the file, I then can 'open with' another application, such as Photos, but it's annoying that I can only save the file with Windows
    Media Player in the first place.

WillAllanXK, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box

1. Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box - Similar Threads - Places bar missing

2. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  3. Items missing in save as dialog box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Items missing in save as dialog box: Hello, Some elements of the save as dialog box have disappeared. For example, the navigation bar and the arrows are no longer there. I am under windows 11. I don't know when the problem appeared because my computer was used by someone else. I tried a sfc scannow but it didn't...
  4. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  5. Windows 10 attachement open/save dialog box

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 attachement open/save dialog box: I accidentally unticked the box to stop using the open/save dialog when reading attached pdf files. How do I restore the dialog box please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-attachement-opensave-dialog-box/024a054c-6e81-46ac-8803-dedb525f33a8
  6. Search Bar in Open Dialog Box gone missing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Bar in Open Dialog Box gone missing.: Since this week, the Search Box/Bar on the far right top of the Open Dialog box in my Endnote application has gone missing. I have checked with the Endnote application team and they to are not able to see it working with Windows 10. It is essential as it is need to search...
  7. Dialog Box Save/Open

Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  8. Windows 10 Open/Save Dialog Box

Windows 10 Open/Save Dialog Box: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  9. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  10. Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor),...