Windows 10: Play games eats all my CPU!

Discus and support Play games eats all my CPU! in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Whenever I play a game in Windows 10 all of my available CPU is used by them (and the game stutters awfully making it unplayable). I have tested this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by adamantinespork, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Play games eats all my CPU!

Whenever I play a game in Windows 10 all of my available CPU is used by them (and the game stutters awfully making it unplayable).
    I have tested this with a variety of games, and all of them are ones which in no way should take this much cpu usage.
    I did not have this problem in windows 8.1, the problem arose when I updated to windows 10.

I have the feeling this is something related to a graphics driver, but movies work fine.

:)

adamantinespork, Jul 26, 2016

2. system hangs when playing games because of svchost.exe

Original Title: svchost.exe

hello i just want to know why this is so dang necessary to have that it eats up my cpu usage and i use an i5 4690K so it shouldn't have any problems running my games bu this beautiful piece of garbage keeps busting in no matter how many times i try to deactivate
    it its only a temporary solution because when i start up another game mw3 for example it lags than freezes the audio then freezes my game then i have to restart my pc fully just to use it again and when i stop its process play my games for 8 mins and boom
    same thing as you can probably tell im a little more than frustrated so i would like to know if i can't stop it if i could at least not have it eat my cpu usage like a cup of noodles

stevenedgell, Jul 26, 2016
  3. I don't want windows 10

disconnect it from the internet should stop it from downloading at least in the first place they shouldn't have tried to have it download for you i know im fed up with it windows 10 is complete **** i can't even play a game without one of their "services"
    eating up my entire cpu usage and crashing every application its not worth it

stevenedgell, Jul 26, 2016
  4. Play games eats all my CPU!

listing your specs would be a good start, not really much to go off on without that.. have you checked your temps to clear out overheating?

BrandonR188, Jul 26, 2016
  5. CPU specs according to the System information app is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)"

Everything worked fine before upgrading.

Computer is not any hotter than it was before upgrading.
    I upgraded around a day or so ago. I last succesfuly used those games on that date, but before upgrading.

As an aside note: How do you check temperature though?

adamantinespork, Jul 26, 2016
  6. Install CPUID HWMonitor from here >>> HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

Once you install that, run it, and then minimize the applications and then play game. After that, exit the game, take a snapshot of CPUID HWMonitor temperatures, and post it here.

RubberDucky, Jul 26, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Also install Speccy to get the real hardware specifications.

But from the specs you have provided, it rather looks like your machine is under-powered.

swarfega, Jul 27, 2016
  8. Play games eats all my CPU!

Your system is overloaded with that processor. Upgrade PC with newer hardware and especially the CPU to a 4 core real, minimum at least in the 3.0 to 3.5 Ghz range or higher if you can afford it. The latest CPUs should also be 64 bit capable for your needs. Onboard graphics vs Graphics discrete cards will work on the CPU loading and cause it operate to the maximum for high processing intensive gaming. Just saying. Use a temp monitor program for your system. If their is a temp sensor on your mobo it will show the respective temps in the monitor software. Try this freebee: Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

lopedoggie, Jul 27, 2016
  9. What games are you playing?

RubberDucky, Jul 27, 2016
  10. I use a laptop.
    It can't be because my computer isn't powerful enough to run the games.

This is because literally the day before I updated to windows 10 all these games worked perfectly (while I was using windows 8.1), and immediately on upgrading (to windows 10) they started using all the CPU and the games started stuttering.

This problem occurred on a variety of games including ones that my system specs are well above what was needed to run them.

The problem is not hardware related.
    It has something to with the change between windows 8.1 and windows 10.

I have tried it on a variety of games.
    Problem occurs on all of them, and is identical.

I have tried:
    Dota 2.
    Killing Floor.
    Race the Sun.
    You Have to win the game.

Note that the last 2 games are indie games, with very mild hardware requirements.
    By all means my computer should be able to run them.

I also tried another game (one that would probably work on laptops from 10 years ago):
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (Tiles)

While it didn't stutter it the graphics were all messed up and it ate more cpu than normal (not all of it).
    I didn't have this problem with the text only version of the game (one that runs in a terminal) , so this seems to indicate that the problem is because of something graphics related.

adamantinespork, Jul 27, 2016
  11. aramil Win User
    you have not posted up a speccy so still not sure about what is in your laptop.

EG:

Play games eats all my CPU! [​IMG]

Have you installed the correct graphics drivers for your laptop? (intel/nvdia/amd)?
    Have you reinstalled these games after the upgrade? (sometimes software does not like running smoothly after an os swap without a reinstall, to check for depenencies (vis c+.....)etc)

Without knowing the actual specs it's a little hard to point you in the right direction for drivers etc.

How where your temps in HWmonitor?

assuming you are gaming on the intergrated hd4000 from intel, driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=81499

aramil, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Play games eats all my CPU!

1. Play games eats all my CPU! - Similar Threads - Play games eats

2. sihost.exe eating much CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sihost.exe eating much CPU: Hello! I'm facing the following problem: sihost.exe eats some CPU.Note: This process mentioned above is a real Windows process.I have Windows 10 21H2 Build 19044.1766Are you also facing this issue? Please help me.I want a solution without formatting the entire OS....
  3. Nahmic eating my cpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nahmic eating my cpu: Nahmic is eating 60% of my cpu, know how to fix it? submitted by /u/User21233121 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8od04/nahmic_eating_my_cpu/
  4. WMI Provider Host is eating all of my CPU.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WMI Provider Host is eating all of my CPU.: The WMI Provider Host is taking up virtually all of my CPU, and according to the Task manager my CPU is constantly maxed at 99% and 95% of the time it is the WMI Provider Host. I have attempted to follow several tips online of how to fix it, even Microsoft's solution. But...
  5. DsmSvc Windows Service eating 10% CPU all the time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DsmSvc Windows Service eating 10% CPU all the time: It's always hovering around 9-10%. "Enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly." Says its the Device Setup Manager. It doesn't sound...
  6. DsmSvc Windows Service eating 10% CPU all the time

in Windows 10 Support
    DsmSvc Windows Service eating 10% CPU all the time: It's always hovering around 9-10%. "Enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly." Says its the Device Setup Manager. It doesn't sound...
  7. Defender Eating my CPU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Eating my CPU: Not sure if this is normal or not hadn't noticed this in the past but every time it does an auto scan or full scan it goes full load. I seen the temps go up on the CPU not in dangerous zones but mind you high enough to think its a tad crazy. Temps were at about 70c's plus...
  8. Windows Explorer eating my CPU

Windows Explorer eating my CPU: Just recently installed updates after having taken my computer apart to clean the liquid cooling. It was apart for weeks so when I started it, I first assumed that the cooling was bad and throttling. This is not the case. Instead, windows explorer keeps jumping to the CPU...
  9. Why is my computer eating up all my RAM, CPU, and Disk?

Why is my computer eating up all my RAM, CPU, and Disk?: So I recently bought a new laptop, installed Avast Antivirus as well as MS Edge Dev. Now, I've noticed my computer is running significantly slower. I fire up the task manager and see this: [ATTACH] I took this picture with only two apps running, but before it went to 40%...
  10. explore.exe eating my CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    explore.exe eating my CPU: Ok so my CPU is being eaten by explore.exe from like 35% to 70% Is there any fix? 11530