Windows 10: playback device unable to use a mic

Discus and support playback device unable to use a mic in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello! so i recently discovered a problem, my playback device cannot be used with a mic, whenever I try to use a mic with the playback device, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yihaozhang3, Dec 27, 2020.

1. playback device unable to use a mic

hello! so i recently discovered a problem, my playback device cannot be used with a mic, whenever I try to use a mic with the playback device, all audio just stops. btw I am using a Bluetooth headphone that has a mic. thanks for the help! btw please don't tell me to reinstall my audio drivers, I have done that already, also I have used the troubleshooter for everything possible, so ya. thanks for the help again!

:)

yihaozhang3, Dec 27, 2020
  2. JOSHSKORN Win User

How can I record playback audio and mic?

I've actually managed to my problem, just by Googling...after finally figuring out what to Google.

Problem: Using Audicity, I wanted to record audio of myself singing karaoke. Sound inputs

• YouTube video playing from Google Chrome
    • G933 Logitech Headset (or any USB mic for that matter)

Two applications required for this. Download these two apps. When installing, make sure you Run As Administrator for each. Install each app, then reboot your PC.

In Windows 10

1. Go to Control Panel>Sounds>Playback and Set CABLE Input as your Default Playback device. Verify that you now have these three additional Playback Devices:

• CABLE Output
    • VoiceMeeter Aux Output
    • VoiceMeeter Output

1. Go to the Recording tab and Set CABLE Output as your Default Recording device. Verify that you now have these three additional Recording Devices:

• CABLE Output
    • VoiceMeeter Aux Output
    • VoiceMeeter Output

In Audacity (Preferences>Settings>Devices):

• Host: MME
    • Playback Device: VoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio Voi
    • Recording Device: VoiceMeeter Output (VB-Audio Vo
    • Channels: 2 (Stereo)

Open Voice Meeter Banana (use the Search box next to the Start button) and change these settings:

• HARDWARE INPUT 1: MME: CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual
    • HARDWARE INPUT 2: MME: Set it to your desired microphone. I used Microphone Logitech G933 Gaming). For this hardware input, select A1 to deselect it. Otherwise, you will hear your voice playing through your Speakers/Headset.
    • HARDWARE OUT: Click A1 and select MME: <your output device>. In my case, MME: Speakers (Logitech G933 Gaming)

To test: Go to Youtube, find a video to play. Go to Audacity. Click Record, then go back to your YouTube video and click play. You should see the sound meter go up and down, in accordance to the track you're playing. Additionally if you speak, you will see your mic's meter rise and fall, as well. Stop the recording when finished. Note that to hear the newly recorded track's audio, you may have to change your Playback sound to your desired device. It i also important to note to reset your Playback device once exiting VoiceMeeter Banana, to your desired audio output device. This can be done by selecting the sound button on your System Tray.

JOSHSKORN, Dec 27, 2020
  3. JOSHSKORN Win User
    How can I record playback audio and mic?

LOL it took me a sec. I take it you tried recording yourself with the BAND, "ABBA" via Voice Recorder, and it worked for you.

As for me, no such luck.
    I appreciate the effort you went through to take those screen shots. Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

I actually have a few recording devices plugged into my computer. Originally:
    • Line-In - plugs into the Headphone jack on audio receiver. Currently turned off, so it is listed as "Not Plugged In"
    • Logitech C922x Webcam, has a microphone as well. I disabled the microphone on it, after noticing its mic was picking up sounds when I attempted recording again after changing my settings according to your instructions. Once I disabled this, I saw no green light indicators indicating sound was being picked up.
    • Logitech G933 Headset - this is my default Recording and Playback device (Default Communication device). I did change the default to Stereo Mix as indicated in your instructions, no luck though.
    • Microphone - Realtek High Definition Audio - Not Plugged in, as I don't use 3.5mm microphones
    • Stereo Mix - As per your instructions, I made sure this was enabled and set as the Default Device.

Any thoughts as to why I'm having issues getting this to work? Does this by chance have anything to do with the fact that I use USB devices for Recording and Playback?

JOSHSKORN, Dec 27, 2020
  4. playback device unable to use a mic

Mic/Headphone ports not working correctly - Acer Aspire 7745

The speakers are 'plugged in' already as it is a laptop. With no external mic, headphones or external speakers plugged in, the Sound Control Panel lists three things under 'Playback' - HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output' - the Speakers under 'Playback' is set as the default.

Under 'Recording' with no external mic plugged in these are listed - 'Microphone', 'Line In' and 'Stereo Mix' (Disabled) - the microphone (in this case, the internal one) is set to 'Default' under 'Recording' as well.

I don't have my headset here to test an external mic right now, but with normal external headphones plugged in, there is no change to the Sound Control Panel under 'Playback' - the same three listings (HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output') with 'Speakers' set as the Default. If I make a noise, say, play a video, I can see the sound meters move to the sound, but no sound comes out of the headphones.

Darkstrike, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

playback device unable to use a mic

1. playback device unable to use a mic - Similar Threads - playback device unable

2. Uninstalled Realtek Jack Mic Recording and Playback device by mistake.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Uninstalled Realtek Jack Mic Recording and Playback device by mistake.: I disabled the Realtek Jack Mic device in the Recording tab under sound devices and then restarted my laptop.When I restarted it, I wasn't able to hear anything from my earphones and then I tried a lot to get back the Realtek Jack Mic device but failed...PLEASE HELP ASAP......
  3. Headphones won't show up in playback devices and laptop using built-in mic instead of the...

Headphones won't show up in playback devices and laptop using built-in mic instead of the...: My laptop's headphone jack isn't showing up my headphones and mic in playback devices and recording devices. I have tried doing the following: 1. Allowing access to microphone in privacy settings. 2. Opening sound settings in control panel and marking Disables/Hidden devices....
  4. Unable to set default playback device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to set default playback device: Hello! I have installed VB Virtual audio cable to be able to change my voice through fl studio and into Discord. After which everything was working fine, until the next boot-up of my PC. I have no sound playing and after looking into it, I realised that Windows detected VB...
  5. Mic Playback Not Working Help

Mic Playback Not Working Help: So I was moving my setup around and decided to update all my drivers using Driver Booster while I was moving stuff around. So I updated all driver and now I cannot hear anything like I used to before. I am using the Razer Kraken Pro V2. I have done the listen to this device...
  6. playback device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    playback device: no playback devices installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playback-device/6105a10c-d3d9-485c-8d05-1910a1572808
  7. Playback devices

Playback devices: On my windows 10 fully updated. I can't separate the headphones from the speakers because they are both identified as one device in the playback devices. When I plug in the headphones, the sound is automatically played on it but when I switch back to the speaker, I must...
  8. unable to listen to device through playback settings

unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...
  9. External mic is not listed in devices so unable to use the external mic

External mic is not listed in devices so unable to use the external mic: I bought a new windows 10 dell laptop and trying to use an external Boya Lavalier mic with it. But when I connect it, my voice still does not get recorded and nothing shows in troubleshooting. The mic is working correctly when connected to a mobile so that is not a problem...
  10. Playback devices

Playback devices: Before I received the Creators update, plugging my headphones into the front jack socket did not automatically switch the default playback device from speakers to headphones. I had to go to the playback device menu and do this manually. Since the update, plugging in the...