Windows 10: playing cds/dvds on an external drive

Discus and support playing cds/dvds on an external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whether my win10 laptop will play cds on an external drive is somewhat hit-and-miss. I have 2 drives, one old and one new. I have the same problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ssilvamayflower, Sep 15, 2019.

1. playing cds/dvds on an external drive

Whether my win10 laptop will play cds on an external drive is somewhat hit-and-miss. I have 2 drives, one old and one new. I have the same problem with both, though the old one is recognised as a drive, whereas it seems the newer one isn't. This is a huge problem, as I use my computer for language classes.

:)

ssilvamayflower, Sep 15, 2019

2. External CD/DVD Drive

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum, and I have a quick question.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite X200 laptop, it has been dropped and the cd/dvd drive will not read anything, it just sounds like it is loading, and blinks yellow.
    I'm going to get an external cd/dvd drive for now until the laptop is taken in (if warranty isn't over).
    Is there any specific external cd/dvd drives you guys know are compatible with the Satellite X200? Or will I not have a problem with compatibility.

Appreciate it,
    Jeremy.

Desperado1, Sep 15, 2019
  3. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 15, 2019
  4. playing cds/dvds on an external drive

External cd/dvd Drive

2.0 usb external hard drive not working with my 3.0 port laptop. My laptop is a new HP i7, 8gb, 1 tb. The laptop has a 3.0 port and the external drive is a 2.0 Verbatim slimline cd/dvd writer. Using the installation cd, components of the external drive
    were installed on my laptop but when i attempt to play a dvd in the drive, the dvd spins and the name of the movie I’m attempting to watch even shows on screen but an error message appears stating: “the feature you are trying to access is not available in
    your product. Click the “info” button to find our offer.” I like watching movies on my laptop so Can someone tell me how to fix this? HELP!!!

angelajones6, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

playing cds/dvds on an external drive

1. playing cds/dvds on an external drive - Similar Threads - playing cds dvds

2. Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player: I have a Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 that has worked with my external CD/DVD player/burner for two years. Suddenly it is not reading the media on the disc and saying that they are blank when they are pre-recorded. I have tried this on several discs and one other external...
  3. internal dvd player stopped working-won't play dvds or cds

internal dvd player stopped working-won't play dvds or cds: or anything else. It shows up in My Computer, but will not work. Checking it in Device Manager, the message is there is no problem with the player, or the driver. Super strange, have never encountered this. I have an Acer All-In-One, and if I can't fix it, I will just...
  4. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  5. I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10: play cds or dvds on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-cds-or-dvds-on-windows-10/098136a1-212d-49c6-bef3-360e29e777b3
  6. No games/DVDS/CDs will play on any optical drive on my PC. I've tried External and Internal...

No games/DVDS/CDs will play on any optical drive on my PC. I've tried External and Internal...: Last evening I wanted to play a game I have that is quite old so its a physical copy rather than a digital one. It works fine on Windows 10 and I've never had any issues with it until last night where when I put the disc in it was spinning and seemed to load but it never...
  7. DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine): Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, DVDs specifically won't even come up as being in the drive/I can't play them even with third party programs. CDs will come up just fine and so will install disks, it's just DVDs for some reason. Is there any way to possibly fix this?...
  8. Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play CDs and DVDs

Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play CDs and DVDs: I have a problem with playing my CDs and DVDs on the Asus computer running Windows 10. The Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play on this laptop but it worked fine on my old HP laptop with Windows XP. Each time I try to start CD or DVD the pop-up shows up with a message...
  9. DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs

DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs: In my DVD Drive any of my Video DVDs are not playing. Audio CDs are well supported and playing well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-drive-is-not-playing-video-dvds/f73f1712-0de8-430d-96a5-5c72206c6f4e
  10. external cd drive/burner plays but wont burn cds

external cd drive/burner plays but wont burn cds: Hi I have recently installed an external cd/dvd drive/burner on windows 10. I can get it to play cds but it will not burn. It keeps coming up with this error msg when i try to burn- 'The disc wasn't burned successfully. Make sure that you have the latest firmware for you cd...