Windows 10: Playing DVD films

Discus and support Playing DVD films in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have bought a TV series and one of the discs doesn't play in my Panasonic DVD player/recorder. As this was the last disc in the series I was pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Playing DVD films

I have bought a TV series and one of the discs doesn't play in my Panasonic DVD player/recorder. As this was the last disc in the series I was pretty annoyed so I thought I would try to see if my laptop would read and play the offending disc.

Just to be sure it just wasn't me doing something wrong I tried a disc that I know plays in the Panasonic but even this will not play on the laptop.

I Googled for a program to do this with and installed VLC and yep no playback so doesn't 10 support any video playback - I don't want it as a regular feature but as this is the second DVD disc just recently to not play it would be nice to just be able to check discs on the laptop - an Asus G750JM ROG so plenty of graphics power..
    Any ideas please as it seems one is being able to do less and less in 10 than previous versions of Windows like beign able to test a disc like I have been trying to do unless I am doing something wrong or not possible

:)

ICIT2LOL, Oct 17, 2017
  2. KiddeB Win User

DVD FILM

I cant play a dvd film what is the problem?

KiddeB, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    NO way to play a DVD movie in Windows 10 without buying an app?

Firstly its called Film & TV.

and as far as I can see it does not play DVDs! there is no option to choose that when you insert a DVD, it is not available in Default Apps, there is no option in the Film & TV settings to play DVD.

Perhaps you could explain precisely how you have done it or how it is supposed to work.

Martmcd, Oct 17, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Playing DVD films

W10 no longer comes with a free DVD player. There are plenty of free alternatives that you can download from the Store or search on Google for a program. I use the Leawo BlueRay/DVD player.

philc43, Oct 17, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    I would recommend VLC for DVDs and the Blueray player mentioned above.

swarfega, Oct 17, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    If you can not play any DVDs using VLC, then it sounds like you have hardware problems.

Rocky, Oct 17, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    If disc does not play in a standalone player, I am guessing the disk is borked. Where did you buy it?

cereberus, Oct 17, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Playing DVD films

Do data CDs/DVDs work or is it just video DVDs that won't play? If it is just video DVDs that won't play, but data DVDs do work, then it is the media player software and the DVD drive that are not compatible. I like the KODI software from kodi.tv.

If neither data DVDs nor video DVDs will work or if you don't have a data DVD to check it with then:
    With a known good DVD in the drive, open device manager. Right click on the DVD drive, select properties. Click on the volumes tab. Then click the populate button. A volume with a capacity should show up. If it shows up as 0MB or none at all, then the drive itself is bad - or possibly needs a different driver. If the volume does show up with a capacity listed, then you are back to it being the DVD player software again. I've had laptops before where the DVD drive just would not work with Windows 10, luckily replacement drives are cheap and easy to swap on most laptops. One screw is usually holding them in - remove the screw, pull the drive out, swap the faceplate which just snaps on/off. I recommend having the drive open when you remove it to facilitate removing the face plate from the front of the disk tray.

Playing DVD films [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok to answer a few the DVD set was bought at a local DVD/CD store I have tried VLC and if I insert the disk nothing shows up in D: drive. I can rip and burn music disks so I am not sure if it is a hardware problem though it is no big deal to swap in new one if need be.

I'll try that Leawo player and the Kodi if neither play the disks then I will just leave it.

However it could be the disks as I recently bought another TV series from the same store (a large national franchise) and it had a defective disk in the set but maybe this could just be a coincidence.

Ah well if all else fails I can try my 7 machines I never had problems with those just seems to me that everything is so convoluted now for plebs like me as I am finding 10 other than just general stuff like emails hard to use.

ICIT2LOL, Oct 18, 2017
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Hmm well I tried it on my small Asus laptop with a dual boot 7 / 10 and in 7 the disk played straight away no problems at all.

I was interested to see if it would because this smaller Asus laptop with just 7 on it before I made it dual boot kept me sane during my 14 week stay in hospital just after Xmas last year by allowing me to watch films etc. So in my mind a backward step using 10 for this and I find a few other aspects of 10 and yes I know I will burn in hell for saying so.

The other odd thing is now the disk is playing in my Panasonic player/recorder now??*Confused

ICIT2LOL, Oct 18, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    The disk may have been dirty. Clean with a dampened microfiber cloth by wiping in a straight line from the centre to the edge and repeating all the way round.

philc43, Oct 18, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Or put it in an Asus *Biggrin

13. swarfega Win User

Playing DVD films

VLC doesnt play all DVDs out of the box, some times it needs special config files.

swarfega, Oct 18, 2017
  14. Rocky Win User
    Yes, that is correct but the OP is talking about a set of DVDs that he bought at a neighborhood store. If every disc in the set works except one then the most probable cause of the problem is not CODECs but a bad disc.

Of course there is no way for us to know for sure but just going by pure mathematical probability, then I would wager it is a bad disc.

Rocky, Oct 18, 2017
  15. swarfega Win User
    yea there are discs that VLC cant play. The other suggestion might be better for physical DVDs.

swarfega, Oct 18, 2017
Thema:

Playing DVD films

1. Playing DVD films - Similar Threads - Playing DVD films

2. dvd not playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvd not playing: hello my hp pc isnt letting me sse the dvd it says for ,e to upgredw to a new dvd sytem but its charging me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-playing/ef26426c-ae77-4b4f-975f-a21337f84361
  3. Films & TV app plays purchased films in higher pitch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Films & TV app plays purchased films in higher pitch.: I recently purchased my first film on the windows Films & TV app in which a song is played at the beginning. For some reason, the song plays in a higher pitch in comparison to the rest of the film, similar to YouTube videos that try and avoid a copyright strike. I don't...
  4. Films & TV app plays purchased films in higher pitch.

Films & TV app plays purchased films in higher pitch.: I recently purchased my first film on the windows Films & TV app in which a song is played at the beginning. For some reason, the song plays in a higher pitch in comparison to the rest of the film, similar to YouTube videos that try and avoid a copyright strike. I don't...
  5. playing purchased dvd films

playing purchased dvd films: how can i play these on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-purchased-dvd-films/6fe2cf1d-e9e7-4261-8cab-66b389fafc80
  6. playing dvd's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    playing dvd's: The disc tray has suddenly stopped playing any disc. It just makes "odd" noises! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-dvds/18e776d9-08a1-4546-93c7-1fde1fddb855
  7. play a DVD

play a DVD: How do I play a DVD on mylaptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/play-a-dvd/52b29f98-ef80-400c-ba6d-7058f13d254e
  8. Playing DVD

Playing DVD: Bought windows media player and have put dvd in drive but cant find it when I open media player and its not opening automatically. Can anyone help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/playing-dvd/886fa2d2-fa99-4f3c-94c1-91fcf5a7f1ec
  9. DVD will not play

DVD will not play: I have an ASUS 501ux laptop with Windows 10. It doesn't have an internal DVD player. I purchased an external USB3 DVD drive but the laptop needs something to play the DVD. It won't open the DVD. What do I need? 51767
  10. Playing DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Playing DVD: Hello, Recently downloaded a whole movie, it is MP4 format. Since this cannot be played on home dvd player, had to convert it into AVI , in user manual it says AVI can be played - but it did not. So then I converted it into VOB format, but again dvd refused to play it....