Windows 10: Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps

Discus and support Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have some larger MP3 files (approx 20mins) which are vocal recordings of magazine articles. I also have MP3's from the same website which are normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by crd, Sep 10, 2017.

1. CRD
    crd Win User

Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps

I have some larger MP3 files (approx 20mins) which are vocal recordings of magazine articles. I also have MP3's from the same website which are normal length songs (3-4 mins). When I try to play each file length through Groove Music (or any other MP3 player APP) the shorter files will play but the longer files won't. I have checked for all available updates through windows update and at:

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

I also installed the generic Realtek High Def driver from their website. But nothing has worked yet. It's seems to come down to the length of file that can be played in an app. When I open the same long MP3 files in windows media player or VLC, they play fine. Unfortunately, the controls are so small in either of those programs on the Surface Pro, that they are annoying to use. Is there a way to play these longer MP3's on Groove?

:)

2. Entegy Win User

Transferring music from Groove music to portable mp3 player

If you have purchased the music from Groove, then the music are MP3s with no copy protection. You can use your computer to drag the files from your Music folder to the MP3 player.

Groove Music Pass files are copy protected and can only be played on devices with a Groove Music app. A portable MP3 player will not be compatible with Groove Music Pass.

Entegy, Sep 10, 2017
  3. media player on lumia 950

As long as you download them and place them inside the default Music folder (you can fine it through File Explorer) Groove *should* pull them in and they'll be in your library.

Other option is put them all in a folder and click them one at a time to listen to them. Groove will open up to play the MP3 file.

Johnny_Cash, Sep 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The longest mp3 I have is 1 hour 22 minutes long, Groove can play that with no problem. It's more likely that there is something odd about the mp3 format used for the files from this particular site.

If you can open them in an audio editor such as Audacity then save them again as a new file that may make them playable. Audacity is available as a Portable App if you'd like to try it without the need to install anything.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...acity_portable

5. CRD
    crd Win User
    Thanks Bree. You prompted me to try the same files on my Laptop, and they play through Groove fine there. So it's only my Surface Pro 4 that has a problem.

I tried Audacity to convert to other files and remove properties, but no other file type works either. So it seems confined to long audio files playing on my Surface Pro 4. Are there any troubleshooting ideas i can try aside from Windows Updates and re-installing drivers?

6. Bree New Member
    Sorry, I don't have a Surface Pro 4 to test this on. Perhaps others who do can try it and see if they can reproduce this problem.

The only thing I have left to suggest is to try the 'playing audio' troubleshooter. Type 'troubleshoot' in the Cortana/Search box to find it.

7. CRD
    crd Win User
    Sadly that doesn't work either. Thanks for your help Bree, any other Surface Owners with an opinion?

8. Spectrum Win User

I'd suggest capturing a Process Monitor trace of the issue. Start recording, then attempt to play one of the mp3s that is not working properly. Afterwards, stop and save the trace, compress it and upload it to onedrive/google drive/<your favorite filehost>.

Spectrum, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps - Similar Threads - Playing long MP3

2. MP3 playing on WMP but encounters an error in other places?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP3 playing on WMP but encounters an error in other places?: I have audio files, mostly under 30 seconds in length and under 1500 kb in their compressed form. They play fine on WMP player, but when attempting to upload to google drive or a transcription service, I get an error saying the file is empty or corrupted. Any ideas on why...
  3. MP3 playing on WMP but encounters an error in other places?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MP3 playing on WMP but encounters an error in other places?: I have audio files, mostly under 30 seconds in length and under 1500 kb in their compressed form. They play fine on WMP player, but when attempting to upload to google drive or a transcription service, I get an error saying the file is empty or corrupted. Any ideas on why...
  4. Security "Hangup" on Playing MP3 Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security "Hangup" on Playing MP3 Files: I cannot play an album of KNOWN GOOD MP3 files; Microsoft Security butts in and says that it blocked one or more of these known good files. What's going on AND how to fix the problem? The album is located on my NAS box addressable from any of my computers....
  5. Security "Hangup" on Playing MP3 Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security "Hangup" on Playing MP3 Files: I cannot play an album of KNOWN GOOD MP3 files; Microsoft Security butts in and says that it blocked one or more of these known good files. What's going on AND how to fix the problem? The album is located on my NAS box addressable from any of my computers....
  6. Security "Hangup" on Playing MP3 Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Unable to play a specific .mp3 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to play a specific .mp3 file: Hello!I'm currently editing an animatic on the photos app and trying to use custom audio, however, this one specific song I'm trying to use will not play. I've tried using other .mp3 files and they work fine, I've tried repairing the photos app, and resetting my computer but...
  8. Unable to play a specific .mp3 file

Unable to play a specific .mp3 file: Hello!I'm currently editing an animatic on the photos app and trying to use custom audio, however, this one specific song I'm trying to use will not play. I've tried using other .mp3 files and they work fine, I've tried repairing the photos app, and resetting my computer but...
  9. mp3 files keep stalling when being played WMP, Groove Music, VCL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mp3 files keep stalling when being played WMP, Groove Music, VCL: Some background information:I run windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a Dell laptop that is well maintained.The mp3 files stalls at random places for a few seconds and than continues playing. This often happens but all the time a couple of times in music files so about 3 to 5 minutes...
  10. OGG files not playing in groove music

OGG files not playing in groove music: hello :so i was trying to listen to a game's songs from the files and they are all .ogg filesand when i open them in groove music it shows me an error code 0xc00d36c4 with a message saying the file type is unsupported even though it used to work beforeand yes i have checked...