Windows 10: Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps

Discus and support Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have some larger MP3 files (approx 20mins) which are vocal recordings of magazine articles. I also have MP3's from the same website which are normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by crd, Sep 10, 2017.

1. CRD
    crd Win User

Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps

I have some larger MP3 files (approx 20mins) which are vocal recordings of magazine articles. I also have MP3's from the same website which are normal length songs (3-4 mins). When I try to play each file length through Groove Music (or any other MP3 player APP) the shorter files will play but the longer files won't. I have checked for all available updates through windows update and at:

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

I also installed the generic Realtek High Def driver from their website. But nothing has worked yet. It's seems to come down to the length of file that can be played in an app. When I open the same long MP3 files in windows media player or VLC, they play fine. Unfortunately, the controls are so small in either of those programs on the Surface Pro, that they are annoying to use. Is there a way to play these longer MP3's on Groove?

:)

2. Entegy Win User

Transferring music from Groove music to portable mp3 player

If you have purchased the music from Groove, then the music are MP3s with no copy protection. You can use your computer to drag the files from your Music folder to the MP3 player.

Groove Music Pass files are copy protected and can only be played on devices with a Groove Music app. A portable MP3 player will not be compatible with Groove Music Pass.

Entegy, Sep 10, 2017
  3. media player on lumia 950

As long as you download them and place them inside the default Music folder (you can fine it through File Explorer) Groove *should* pull them in and they'll be in your library.

Other option is put them all in a folder and click them one at a time to listen to them. Groove will open up to play the MP3 file.

Johnny_Cash, Sep 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The longest mp3 I have is 1 hour 22 minutes long, Groove can play that with no problem. It's more likely that there is something odd about the mp3 format used for the files from this particular site.

If you can open them in an audio editor such as Audacity then save them again as a new file that may make them playable. Audacity is available as a Portable App if you'd like to try it without the need to install anything.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...acity_portable

5. CRD
    crd Win User
    Thanks Bree. You prompted me to try the same files on my Laptop, and they play through Groove fine there. So it's only my Surface Pro 4 that has a problem.

I tried Audacity to convert to other files and remove properties, but no other file type works either. So it seems confined to long audio files playing on my Surface Pro 4. Are there any troubleshooting ideas i can try aside from Windows Updates and re-installing drivers?

6. Bree New Member
    Sorry, I don't have a Surface Pro 4 to test this on. Perhaps others who do can try it and see if they can reproduce this problem.

The only thing I have left to suggest is to try the 'playing audio' troubleshooter. Type 'troubleshoot' in the Cortana/Search box to find it.

7. CRD
    crd Win User
    Sadly that doesn't work either. Thanks for your help Bree, any other Surface Owners with an opinion?

8. Spectrum Win User

I'd suggest capturing a Process Monitor trace of the issue. Start recording, then attempt to play one of the mp3s that is not working properly. Afterwards, stop and save the trace, compress it and upload it to onedrive/google drive/<your favorite filehost>.

Spectrum, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Playing long MP3 files in Groove or other apps - Similar Threads - Playing long MP3

2. playing MP3 player on laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    playing MP3 player on laptop: My question is generic to all Windows laptops; so system specs are not an issue. I would like to know the pros and cons using of both USB and 1/8" stereo jack inputs to connect an MP3 player to a laptop. Why? ... I wish to listen to some of the music stored on an MP3...
  3. File Explorer windows 10 and Groove app Showing the incorrect art cover of my MP3, they are...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer windows 10 and Groove app Showing the incorrect art cover of my MP3, they are...: This is a little complicated to explain, here it goes. All my mp3 has embedded art covers, some mp3 only have one and others have 2 or more on the same file. normally windows 10 file explorer and Groove shows the first one embedded on each mp3 file which by the way, its the...
  4. I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files

I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files: I can play MP3 music files but not WAV files. I have looked on your website at all the fixes and tried them all. The Codex box you said to check, wasn't even available. Another suggestion [not from you] was to download VLC player. That didn't work either. I have tried...
  5. Bulk file permissions edit + MP3 files wouldn't play

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bulk file permissions edit + MP3 files wouldn't play: I ran into an issue and discovered why I was unable to play my MP3 files. I kept looking online for solutions and they all led me to believe the files were corrupt. But they all had a true file size. When the tools kept throwing errors that they couldn't read the file, it...
  6. MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player

MP3 files are automatically played by Windows Media Player: I set a DSS player as a default for playing my video and audio files. But it changed to Windows Media Player and I cannot change it back. I want my files to be played by my default app rather than Windows Media Player....
  7. Groove Music. Play All/Play Once

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music. Play All/Play Once: How do I switch between these options? New to GM and it insists on playing all. Pop says "Play All" but no indication as to how to switch to play once. To the point and simple please; Thanks, Don...
  8. how to play mp3 dvd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to play mp3 dvd?: What are the settings to play mp3 dvd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-play-mp3-dvd/d641aca1-e24e-4afd-958c-76ff7f8e0a4d
  9. Groove Music Wont play all songs (some songs play, others dont)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music Wont play all songs (some songs play, others dont): I was listening to some songs, 1400 to be precise. From a external hd, not sure if the external hd has some virus or not, but the thing is, all of a sudden, groove music wasnt playing any of the songs in the external drive. When i tried to play songs from my local part c: ,...
  10. Can't play mp3 music

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't play mp3 music: I upgraded from 10166 to 10240. I can't play mp3 files on windows media player, vlan media player, or anything else. They played fine on other builds. Is there a way to play them now? 8523