Windows 10: Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO

Discus and support Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I used to copy CD's I had purchased onto my old Windows XP pc and play them back via Windows Media Player. However, having now upgraded to a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SmileyD64, Jan 29, 2020.

1. SmileyD64 Win User

Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO

I used to copy CD's I had purchased onto my old Windows XP pc and play them back via Windows Media Player. However, having now upgraded to a Windows 10 o/s pc, I find that the player will not play some of these tracks. If this were the case with all the files then that would be, sort of, understandable; plus I also think that some of the files that used to be unplayable do now work.

I have tried troubleshootig the Media Player but it just tells me I have files that have been corrupted.

I also downloaded the Digital Rights Update Tool but that was no help at all either.

Obviously I have no wish to spend money again on tracks I have already purchased legitimately once, nor can I afford to.

Any ideas how I can render these files useable again?

:)

SmileyD64, Jan 29, 2020

2. wma files not playing anymore with WMP version 12

I've done the trouble shooting before and did it again just now and again no problem there.

I've also done using headphones before and did it again just now and again wma files NOT playing .

I guess I didn't myself clear. WMA files are NOT playing. MP3 files are OK. MP3 files are playing properly.

TessSantos, Jan 29, 2020
  3. wma files not playing anymore with WMP version 12

Thank you for the screenshot.

Let's do more steps to address this your concern.

• Can you also right click the sound icon on the lower left of your desktop and click
      Troubleshoot sound problem?

If that didn't work, kindly do the steps below:

• Connect your headphones to your computer and on the Playback tab click
      Headphones and click Set Default, try playing the wma files again. Is it playing properly?
    • Go to the Playback tab again , then click on Speakers
      and click Set Default.
    • Can you also try to play a different file type like MP3?

Keep us posted.

Wilfred Mac, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO

wma files not playing anymore with WMP version 12

Hi Wilfredo,

Responding to your questions:

1. I didn't make any changes on my computer before this issue. Before the automatic update for Windows 10 on the 19th Sep 2016, my wma files were working perfectly. After the long updates, it won't play anymore.

2. Here's a capture of the error message. Please note that several suggestions were made by the Microsoft community-like making my default music to WMP, uninstalling and re-installing WMP, changing my browser to Internet Explorer-which didn't work. One
    of the respondents gave up with a final statement saying that the WMP is missing some codes.

Since I'm not that tech-savvy, can't pursue those "codes".

Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO 8b53d7b0-a1f1-4d40-b4a7-59fe2f83f78c.png

TessSantos, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO

1. Playing wma files on wmp in Windows 10PRO - Similar Threads - Playing wma files

2. How do I play wma audio file with drm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I play wma audio file with drm?: I have tons of files I ripped years ago from my CDs before they were stolen from me. I also have some backup files for the DRMs How can I either get around the DRM blocking the use of these files and or restore the backed up DRM licenses in Windows 10?...
  3. Win 11 23h2 cannot play or convert wma files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 23h2 cannot play or convert wma files: I have somewhat old WMA files that I got from Napster. I do not see any way to convert to mp3I tired nero recode but it was unable to convert although it recognized.I went to add features and the legacy media player is enabled and its "packs" installed but it was unable to...
  4. Win 11 23h2 cannot play or convert wma files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 23h2 cannot play or convert wma files: I have somewhat old WMA files that I got from Napster. I do not see any way to convert to mp3I tired nero recode but it was unable to convert although it recognized.I went to add features and the legacy media player is enabled and its "packs" installed but it was unable to...
  5. WMA files no longer playing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMA files no longer playing: Hi there - not sure why but I had some music files on my PC which have recently stopped playing! These used to play in Windows Media Player and Groove Music. Any suggestions please? Simple instruction's would be fab :-...
  6. WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files: Hello all, Tried searching but couldn't find similar posts. WMP in Windows 10 will play audio but no video for all WMV files. It just started 1-2 weeks ago. I actually did a clean install and downloaded some codec packages to no avail. Anyone have similar issue or know a...
  7. Unfound .WMA files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unfound .WMA files?: I can't find the .wma files on my phone when trying to look for them in File Explorer. I'm using a USB connection, if that's relevant. Why in the world would these files not read?...
  8. How to play WMA files on Windows 10 and what to do if WMA does not play in WMP

in Windows 10 News
    How to play WMA files on Windows 10 and what to do if WMA does not play in WMP: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WMA or Windows Media Audio is a series of audio codecs. Microsoft develops it along with its corresponding audio coding formats. You can play WMA files on Windows 10 using Windows Media Player which comes preinstalled in Windows 10. So if [...] This post How...
  9. WMA Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WMA Files: I have been with Microsoft O/S's since Basic was a paper tape. All through the DOS Years and into the Windows generations. When the first Windows Media Player became available I took the opportunity to convert all my albums, 8-Tracks, Cassette tapes and eventually CDs to the...
  10. wma files wont play on windows media player

wma files wont play on windows media player: bought a new pc with windows 10 and windows media player and now I cant play my windows media audio files on windows media player. support accessed my computer and couldn't fix the problem.. Now I have years worth of music and other files I cant use. its a joke when windows...