Windows 10: PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access

Discus and support PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sweet baby Jesus, Windows, can you please stop removing "Recent Folders" from the Quick Access?! This is hands down one of the most essential and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1111, Apr 13, 2016.

1. James1111 Win User

PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access

Sweet baby Jesus, Windows, can you please stop removing "Recent Folders" from the Quick Access?!

This is hands down one of the most essential and frequently used functions for your users. I had found a way to add it back through a registry change and this morning's update removed it again from the "Save As" Quick Access.

PLEASE for our sanity give this back and provide an update with it restored today, or at least tell us how to add it back in ourselves. Why are you so hellbent on us not using this feature???? *cry "Frequent Folders" and "Recent Items" are useless so please don't direct me to use those instead. Recent folders is something I use everyday hundreds of times throughout the day and it massively cuts down the flow of work.

You guys removing this is seriously drastic enough to make me go back to Windows 8.

:)

James1111, Apr 13, 2016
  2. cimaise Win User

Windows 10: I want the old version of Quick Access please

Thank you very much for your rapid response. However your suggestion does not address my issue.

I am familiar with the Quick Access feature you describe.

My problem is:

- I wish to add to this feature the possibility of quick access to RECENT FOLDERS.

- RECENT FOLDERS is NOT the same concept as "Frequently Used" Folders.

-RECENT FOLDERS also is NOT the same concept as "Pinned" Folders.

I really need to have quick access to the last 10 (or 20) folders I have used.

As feedback on W10, I would comment:

- Quick Access under W10 introduced an unnecessary change in default settings (no more Recent Folders)

- The Options box for Quick Access is very poor and does not let us set any useful options, including Recent Folders. (Moreover, I personally find the Options as offered are hard to interpret or understand.)

Thank you in advance for directing me to a way to display RECENT FOLDERS (not Frequent, not Pinned) in my Quick Access.

cimaise, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Troubleshooting Windows 10 Quick Access

Hello...

I have read a lot of the forums and community comments, but none are exactly my Quick Access issue.

On Windows 10 in the File Explorer...the Quick Access bar transferred all our Favorites from Windows 7 when we did the upgrade to Windows 10...however we can no longer add to the list of folders available to quickly access...I've tried right clicking folders
    and selecting "Pin to Quick Access"...tried using the "home" tab in the File Explorer Ribbon and clicking the "Pin to Quick Access" button...I've dragged files to the side menu and hovering them in the Quick Access area to Pin them...

The results are always...either nothing happens OR the current folder I do have pinned to Quick Access is REPLACED by the new folder I am trying to Pin...NOT added. For some reason it is only allowing ONE folder to be available for quick access at a time...

I have tried:

Copying and pasting the following paths

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    • %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    into the File Explorer address bar and deleting the files in those folders... Doing this DOES bring back my Windows 7 original list, but again when I try to add more folders the entire list I had is replaced with the folder I add leaving only ONE folder
    in the quick access list...

I have tried:

Changing my Privacy settings, but going into the quick access options and un-checking the "show recently used files in Quick Access" AND "show frequently used folders in Quick Access"

I have tried:

Creating a NEW user account by Opening the Settings App...going to accounts and under Other Accounts adding an account with the options - choose “this person doesn’t have an email” and then “Sign in without
    a Microsoft Account”.

The problem still occurred in the new user account.

Please let me know what else I can try to resolve this issue as the quick access list is a huge time saver and I need to be able to add other folders WITHOUT my previous folders disappearing!

PS....I don't have a problem when Pinning local folders on my desktop etc..

The PROBELM is trying to Pin folders that are located on a network server...(This was not an issue in Windows 7 though)

Thanks

Frustrated in the North Woods

LWIT ArchAdvan, Apr 13, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

James111, I'm not sure why you are addressing this complaint to us. We are not Microsoft, no one here works for Microsoft, and we are not affiliated with Microsoft in any way. You would have better results by using the feedback app in Windows 10. In the meantime you may see if this would help you. Recent Folders Shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

essenbe, Apr 13, 2016
  5. James1111 Win User
    1. Sorry! Thought this was "Windows 10" Tech Support Forums.

2. The post you link to doesn't address the issue in a "Save As" situation :

Recent Folders Shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The Admin responding doesn't seem to ever understand the question. Seems they are not clear on why we want Recent Folders available in the "Save As" situation, and seems to think the person wants to actually save things IN the Recent Folders, but that's not how we use it. It's useful when you are "Save As-ing" items all day just to click on and locate a Recent Folder to save your item vs having to start at the top and go through entire folder paths over and over. *Sleepy

3. I found the registry fix again that does fix what I'm needing. Instructions here in the post from "ThePhinx" just in case anyone else needs it:

File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes.. - Windows 10 Forums

4. Still hate Microsoft for removing this feature in "10" updates. *cry

Sorry for the misunderstanding of the forums!

James1111, Apr 13, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    We are a Windows 10 Tech Support forum, but have no affiliation with Microsoft. We have no authority to cause changes, we just deal with them like everyone else and try to resolve problems.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access - Similar Threads - PLEASE Add Recent

2. Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders: So i've spent a loooooong portion of my windows tenure with jumplists & recents turned off. no use for them. decided to give them a try and finding some functionality broken/not working. I can get both quick access and the taskbar jumplist to populate with recents but...
  3. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  4. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

Increase number of recent folders in quick access: This seems to have been done to death over the years but the interest in pressing MS for an update has waned by the looks of it. I would encourage all interested users to post more regularly about this becasue for those who are file and folder users, this is an important...
  5. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access: Normally in Windows 10, frequently-viewed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example [ATTACH] Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this...
  6. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  7. recent files and folders, quick access

recent files and folders, quick access: hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right...
  8. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  9. Restore recent folders to quick access, including list of 4 recent

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore recent folders to quick access, including list of 4 recent: Hello, The recent folders have disappeared from my quick access menu. I came across some threads that explain how to restore the recent folders shortcut to the quick access menu - this worked. However, before it disappeared, there was a list of the 4 most recent folders...
  10. Recent file or folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent file or folders in Quick Access: I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to me, how I may keep only the normal items, but not continually add "recent" items. Sorry if this seems a stupid thread, but...