Windows 10: Please confirm that new Windows Mail cannot import from WLM

Discus and support Please confirm that new Windows Mail cannot import from WLM in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Ive recently migrated to Windows 10 and am happily using WLM. However having looked at Windows Mail it would seem logical to move to it. Ive tried it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by johnhenry, Aug 28, 2015.

1. johnhenry Win User

Please confirm that new Windows Mail cannot import from WLM

Ive recently migrated to Windows 10 and am happily using WLM. However having looked at Windows Mail it would seem logical to move to it. Ive tried it successfully with my POP3 account but can not see anyway of importing my existing emails from my PC (WLM). Ive done searches but can not find a definitive statement.

:)

johnhenry, Aug 28, 2015
  2. grahambm Win User

Import mail to windows 10

You can install WLM on Windows 10. Export all messages and contacts first then Import them into new WLM on Win 10.

But facing same problem and with no support now for WLM, I switched to Mozzilla Thunderbird for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It is a free download and is able to import the mail and contacts you exported from WLM.

Thunderbird is quite similar to WLM, so once installed and configured, you will like it!

The Windows 10 Mail program is a joke unless you have very few emails and just one account.

ADDED: You don't mention how you email is now configured in WLM. If it is POP3, then you might consider switching it to IMAP before you transfer to Windows 10. With IMAP, all messages are stored on your ISP servers. When you create the new account in Thunderbird
    (or even Win10 Mail), the messages will automatically download. Downloaded POP messages stored on your computer won't sync like that, but they will if you move them into the new IMAP account on existing Win 7 WLM.

If you are already using IMAP, just set up your new mail program in Win10 and the mail will all magically be there!

In both cases, you need to export your contacts from WLM and then Thunderbird can import them. Various other ways if you use w10 mail.

grahambm, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Import mail to windows 10

The Windows 10 Mail App is totally unacceptable as a replacement for Windows Live Mail (WLM). You cannot import messages, folders, and contacts from WLM or any other email client software. It will import only the content on the email provider's servers
    at the time it is synched. For those of us who keep important email history stored on our hard drives and access it with email client software (such as WLM 2012), those limitations make it unacceptable. Now that
    Microsoft has announced that it is ending support for Windows Live Mail on January 10, 2017, we will be forced to a new email client if we wish to keep security current. So, we will have to go to the full Microsoft Outlook with its corporate-motivated
    bloat and complexity or move to a non-Microsoft product unless the functionality of the Windows 10 Mail App is reworked to provide the essential functions outlined above.
    Microsoft, please give us an updated Windows Live Mail 2017 and extend the support for WLM 2012 until you do.

DerraldJohnson, Aug 28, 2015
  4. gpstoloff Win User

Windows Live Mail (WLM) is a full on/off-line mail client, with local storage folders stored on your machine.

Windows Mail is an on-line mail client that can only look at folders stored within each mail account (Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, Sent Items, etc.). When you create additional folders in Windows Mail, they are actually additional folders stored on that mail account's host, not on your local machine.

AFAIK, there is no way of connecting WLM storage folders to Windows Mail, including Export Messages. Windows Mail just doesn't have any way to attach to them.

Have a good read to How do I restore Windows Live Mail?.

gpstoloff, Aug 28, 2015
  5. johnhenry Win User
    A perfect reply - I realise my misunderstanding. I spend some time not online and therefore like to have access to my mail and contacts, so I will stick with WLM.
    Many thanks again.

johnhenry, Aug 29, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could use both. You can then get notifications from the mail app (and make quick replies) and use WLM to download all your messages for offline (or for when you want to do more complex formatting than the mail app currently allows, or you want to search for something or whatever).

WLM is more fully featured but I like the notifications in mail app.

7. johnhenry Win User
    Good idea. However having WLM on the task bar still gives notification of mail received.

johnhenry, Aug 29, 2015
  8. RWOne Win User

"Windows Mail is an on-line mail client that can only look at folders stored within each mail account (Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, Sent Items, etc.). When you create additional folders in Windows Mail, they are actually additional folders stored on that mail account's host, not on your local machine."

Not true, whether or not the account is an IMAP or POP depends on the setup of the specific account, if a ms or live account that is setup as IMAP automatically in the software.

The current mail app in 10 is just not finished, has no import capability, I hope they add that plus a lot more before I'll use it as the main program on my personal laptop, until then I have it for my outlook and live accounts, and use WLM for all the rest - setup as imap for my main domain emails...

RWOne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Please confirm that new Windows Mail cannot import from WLM - Similar Threads - Please confirm Mail

2. Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM: Hi, I'm using Windows Live Mail WLM, which I really like, in Windows 7 as my main e-mail handling program and have Yahoo mail as my background mail account. For some reason my Yahoo mail is no longer automatically transferred to my WLM whereas a few weeks ago it was fine. 1...
  3. Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto transfer of Yahoo mail to Windows Live Mail WLM: Hi, I'm using Windows Live Mail WLM, which I really like, in Windows 7 as my main e-mail handling program and have Yahoo mail as my background mail account. For some reason my Yahoo mail is no longer automatically transferred to my WLM whereas a few weeks ago it was fine. 1...
  4. Confirmation Please

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confirmation Please: I have spent the past few days doing my best to disable Windows update, Skype, cortana among other things and these "apps" keep coming back. There is literally no reason for me to EVER update windows, and if they will not stop being pushed onto MY PERSONAL COMPUTER then there...
  5. switched from Mail to WLM

in Browsers and Email
    switched from Mail to WLM: Hi All Just for your info Since today I haven't been able to open some email in the Mail app in Windows 10. It got to the point that I had to switch back to using WLM. All is working like a dream now. Cheers 21052
  6. WLM restore folders and mails

in Browsers and Email
    WLM restore folders and mails: Hi, I accidentally deleted some folders and mails within these in wlm, is there any chance of restoring these folders? Kind regards, Stephen 44879
  7. WLM cannot pick up E-Mails from Yahoo

in Browsers and Email
    WLM cannot pick up E-Mails from Yahoo: This is my bosses laptop just upgraded to WIN10. When he opens WLM it gives him a popup asking for e-mail address at yahoo and password to download the mail. Next I see the popup with the green bar running from left to right. It never reaches the end and the whole popup...
  8. New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM)

in Browsers and Email
    New Outlook.com and Windows Essentials Live Mail (WLM): 16 June was the date MS started migrating Outlook.com accounts to the sync protocol supported by all MS messaging products. POP3 and IMAP are still supported. Two of my three Outlook.com accounts have been migrated. The symptom on my machine was that I could not connect...
  9. Importing mail and contacts from Windows mail in Vista

in Browsers and Email
    Importing mail and contacts from Windows mail in Vista: I am trying to move the email for a friend after she got a Windows 10 laptop. Her old pc is on Vista. After searching I have that there is no way to import email into the new Windows mail in Windows 10. Can anybody recommend a good free email app that can import the mail and...
  10. Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior: I have been using Windows 10 for almost a year with Windows Live Mail as my email client without issue until about 3 weeks ago. Now, there is an intermittent problem: I have 3 accounts linked to my WLM and when doing a send/receive randomly the program will do crazy...