Windows 10: Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale!

Discus and support Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The problem was mentioned several years ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by type-moon, Jun 2, 2019.

1. type-moon Win User

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale!

The problem was mentioned several years ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-827e-42bf-86cf-1df8e530a9fb?tm=1507366207768 , and it's hard to believe that he hasn't been repaired yet !!

I have exact sasme proble. I have two monitor :

1. 1920x1020 scale 100%

2. 2560x1440 scale 125%

Because text are too small in monitor 2 , I had to set scale to 125% . The big problem is this setting also change the text rendering on monitor 1 , even if its scale is still 100%

Monitor 1:

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! 356adfa2-53b0-4654-8e57-c984f0ad07b7?upload=true.png

Monitor 2 :

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! bbdb7076-a8a2-4ba7-b463-c33b4b45957e?upload=true.png

You should know mixing usage with different monitor would be more and more common as high resolution monitors are more and more !

Please fix this .

:)

type-moon, Jun 2, 2019

2. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

An issue with DPI scaling arises when using two different scaling factors. The screen with the lower DPI display is fuzzy/blurred (most easily seen in text).

Hardware and settings

These are the hardware and settings involved:

• 1x primary 3840x2160 27" monitor with DPI scaling set to 150% (because regular text is unreadable at 27").
    • 1x secondary 1920x1080 24" monitor with DPI scaling set to 100%, displaying blurry text and images at these settings.
    Workarounds

When I use the same DPI scaling on both monitors the display shows correctly. This gives two undesirable workarounds:

• Setting 100% DPI scale on the UHD screen fixes display, but makes text unreadably small on this monitor.
    • Setting 150% DPI scale on the HD screen fixes display, but makes text so large I barely have any screen space left on this monitor.
    Is there per chance a better solution to this problem? Is this a Windows bug or am I using DPI scaling in the wrong way?

EDIT: Here's the system info from dxdiag just in case.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/14/2015, 13:09:59

Machine name: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.151104-1714)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/14 21:30:44 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 5936MB used, 3454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Herman Groenenboom, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

Hello Jayant and thank you for your reply.

As described in the threads you provided I updated my graphics drivers (though they were already on the latest version) and tried changing my screen resolution back and forth. Neither helped the situation sadly.

The solution that suggested editing the registry seems to be aimed at disabling DPI scaling for specific applications. However, this is not my aim as disabling DPI scaling would indeed remove blurring but text would stay unreadably small.

The Windows Dev Center article did confirm two things for me.

• There are DPI-unaware applications which will be scaled up by Windows making them appear blurry. This behaviour is correct as described in the Windows Dev Center article and as seen in the first image of the following article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race/3
      These applications are not the problem I am describing, we cannot expect Windows to magically show DPI-unaware applications in high detail. An example of a DPI-unaware application is
      Sublime Text 2 and the older version of VLC as shown in the AnAndTech article.
    • There are DPI-aware applications which experience blurring when there are two differing DPI scaling settings present. The application blurring occurs on the screen with the lower DPI scale. I do not know the behaviour when there are more than two screens
      with more than two differing DPI scales present. Examples of DPI-aware applications are Google Chrome and Visual Studio 2015.
    A little experiment

Lets look at an example of bullet point 2 using screenshots of Google Chrome rendering a webpage. The screenshots were made using the Windows screenshot functionality and cropped in paint.net.

Image 1 - Correct DPI/scaling on HD screen

The first image is an example of proper DPI on the 1920x1080 (HD) screen. The 3840x2060 (UHD) is also connected, but DPI scaling is disabled (set to 100%) for both screens. In this scenario everything displays as expected, but let me remind you that this
    is not a solution because at 100% DPI scale text on the 27" UHD screen is too small, as mentioned)

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! a7694436-a33e-49d9-a4e1-2cc0b43ba77a.png

Image 2 - Incorrect DPI/scaling on HD screen

This second image taken from the same HD screen is clearly more blurry than the first image. In this scenario the DPI scaling for the UHD monitor has been set to 150% (and the user account has been logged out and in as recommended by Windows when changing
    the setting). It appears that the scaling for the UHD monitor somehow affects the render on the HD screen, despite it having in fact the same settings as in the previous image. The blurring effect occurs in other applications like VS2015 and Windows Explorer
    as well.

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! 5fa116eb-3de2-48d0-87a0-f374c82279e3.png

Image 3 - Correct DPI/scaling on UHD screen

The third and last screenshot is taken with the same settings as image 2, but from the UHD screen. As expected this image is larger because Windows requested from Google Chrome to render 150% pixels for the same area of the application to keep my eyes happy.
    This and the first image assert that Chrome is a DPI-aware application which can indeed render sharp images at different DPI scales.

Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! de4ae3f6-3a75-4a66-87ea-b1ab70cc9f9a.png

An interesting side note is that DPI-unaware applications do render at the prober 100% DPI scale without blurring when displayed on the HD screen with the settings used in image 2 and 3.

I hope this clears up what my concerns are because I can't get much more detailed than this. Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have  different scale! :)

Herman Groenenboom, Jun 2, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

DaveM121, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Please fix the blur bug when dual monitors have different scale! - Similar Threads - Please fix blur

2. [Dual Monitor] How to fix on-screen object scaling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Dual Monitor] How to fix on-screen object scaling?: I have 2x 27" LG monitors:4K UHD LCD2K QHD OLEDI use the OLED for gaming, but I use both for productivity and general use.They are side by side, equal in size, and only different in pixel density / resolution.However, Windows doesn't seem to have any awareness of these...
  3. [Dual Monitor] How to fix on-screen object scaling?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Dual Monitor] How to fix on-screen object scaling?: I have 2x 27" LG monitors:4K UHD LCD2K QHD OLEDI use the OLED for gaming, but I use both for productivity and general use.They are side by side, equal in size, and only different in pixel density / resolution.However, Windows doesn't seem to have any awareness of these...
  4. [Dual Monitor] How to fix on-screen object scaling?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Different Scaling on two monitors.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different Scaling on two monitors.: Hello, On my new Win11 laptop I am unable to set different scaling on my laptops auxiliary monitor. My laptop is 2560x1600 on a 16" monitor and my aux is 35" on 1980x1080.On 100% scaling, the laptop's test is minuscule almost unreadable, so i set it to 125%.Now, my 35" also...
  6. Have Windows "remember" scaling for different monitors?

Have Windows "remember" scaling for different monitors?: Hi, I regularly use my Windows 10 notebook with three displays: • Built in 13.3" QHD 3200 x 1800 • External widescreen 27" 3840 x 2160 • 1080p 42" TV 1920 x 1080 For the desktop and other objects to appear at normal size, each display requires a different scaling...
  7. Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution: So I have a dual monitor setup, my second monitor is 27in, and my main monitor is 24in, when using backgrounds like shown here, I cannot get my background to line up correctly, if I still want my mouse to move across the monitors smoothly, it seems like windows sees both...
  8. Dual-monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual-monitor scaling: Hi, everyone. I have a laptop+external monitor setup. I use 125% scaling for laptop display and 100% for external monitor. The problem is when I unplug monitor from laptop and later connect it, scaling factor for external monitor resets to laptop display value. So, every...
  9. Different Window scaling with dual monitors

Different Window scaling with dual monitors: I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex PC with primary monitor a Lenovo 24" 1920x1080. When I connect to my Samsung 55" 4K LED TV as a second Extended monitor, also @1920x1080 resolution, the wallpaper and icons scale perfectly. i.e. the 1920x1080 photo exactly fills...
  10. dual monitor bug

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual monitor bug: I have dual monitors running on windows 10 pro. My main monitor works just fine, then monitor #2 will go black and lose detection as my computer sits idle for over an hour. I can correct the problem when I do a restart. The monitor will start working again. Also, part of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix blur screen for dual monitor