Windows 10: Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10

Discus and support Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys I really need some help. It's going to be a lil long, need to explain everything in detail so I'm sorry. I have an old HP ENVY 15 that seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vyper1126, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10

Hey guys I really need some help. It's going to be a lil long, need to explain everything in detail so I'm sorry.

I have an old HP ENVY 15 that seems to be getting an error message in CrystalDiskInfo in regards to C5 current pending sector count (please refer to picture 1). I ran Seatools for my harddrive (it's seagates program to fix issues) (please refer to pic 2-3). According to seatools I pass S.M.A.R.T check. BUT when I do a short DST scan it fails.

I wouldn't of known about any of this if I never got curious and decided to "TRY UBUNTU 20.04 NEVER INSTALLED" (Please refer to pic 4. I am including a picture of hard drive so you can see how its set up.

BUT here's my problem can the hard drive be fixed if I do a format? If I format how would that work exactly. I know how formats work, I'm not stupid but this laptop originally had windows 8 along with a factory installed recovery partition. Then I upgraded to windows 10. If I have to reformat (I already backed up my files) how exactly would I go about performing a format of the hard drive to completely get rid of all the old files and start fresh. BUT if I do that that also brings another question to light. What about system drivers and the hp updates that I had years ago, could I get them again to re-update my laptop. Reason I'm asking all this is because I went on HP site and couldn't find the drivers for my specific HP MODEL J9K60UA#ABA.

Can someone please enlighten me on this please. Thank you for reading to the end. I appreciate any and all advice. Reason I would like to fix this if possible is because I don't have the money for a new laptop at the moment.

Sorry the images never posted. I reuploaded them via imgur. Please take a look. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/DSklZSU

submitted by /u/Vyper1126
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vyper1126, Aug 6, 2020

2. Video card or RAM need upgrading?

Memtest: no errors after 10 hrs.
    I'm going to perform the Primetest, later on. Get back to you on that.
    I'm going to take it step by step, guys. I need to find the problem with this current computer. I might have to upgrade some components, so that it is still runnable. As for the new one, yes....i will build on it later. I need to find something decent 'gaming experience', all suggestions appreciated. THanks.

itsmeitsme, Aug 6, 2020
  3. SunnyK Win User
    New Laptop Help, Please.

What about MSI GS60 or Lenovo Y50? THey are light, portable and powerful... also both are 15" and in your budget. *Toast :toast:

SunnyK, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10

Screen size does not fix.

Since the new upgrades the screen size is too big for my 7 YR old Toshiba Laptop, which I use constantly. I Can not access the x or the scroll bar. The character's are Hugh, stretched and distorted. I have followed every single step listed in troubleshooting
    and even paid two computer techs to fix it. NOTHING WORKS! There used to be a simple one step adjustment: Settings: Display: Screen Size. Neither, Resetting, troubleshooting app, driver updates, changing to another resolution (which btw is suggested as a
    fix but non existant) nothing works. I am at wits end. The last guy I paid to fix it suggested I just buy anew unit? I can't afford that. Please please address this issue asap. Thank you

Arose Krashmam, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10

1. Please help. Can't afford new laptop need to fix current. upgraded from 8 to 10 - Similar Threads - Please help Can't

2. Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.: The laptop is brand new, not even turned on yet. It only came with 4th gen 256GB ssd. So, I bought a new 4th gen 1TB ssd.I have no data to save. It does have the product ID printed on the back of the laptop. Can I simply swap out the larger ssd and reboot using the product ID...
  3. Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with upgrading my ssd on a new laptop.: The laptop is brand new, not even turned on yet. It only came with 4th gen 256GB ssd. So, I bought a new 4th gen 1TB ssd.I have no data to save. It does have the product ID printed on the back of the laptop. Can I simply swap out the larger ssd and reboot using the product ID...
  4. Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8: Hello Team, I missed to upgrade my Lenovo laptop windows 8.1 OS to higher version. so could you please offer some free option to upgrade my windows 8.1 to higher version? Thanks....
  5. Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8: Hello Team, I missed to upgrade my Lenovo laptop windows 8.1 OS to higher version. so could you please offer some free option to upgrade my windows 8.1 to higher version? Thanks....
  6. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  7. I can't type in new laptop I bought. Need help fixing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't type in new laptop I bought. Need help fixing: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/acook0423 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hz8vg5/i_cant_type_in_new_laptop_i_bought_need_help/
  8. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  9. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  10. Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help With Windows Upgrade please: I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu is 'broken' because after upgrading from Win 7 I had 512+ shortcuts I have a single (500GB) Hard disk which has been...