Windows 10: Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise

Discus and support Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was running out of space on my HP Pavilion 17-ab008no and asked my technician whether it was possible to upgrade my laptop by switching the original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lydiadx, May 4, 2021.

1. lydiadx Win User

Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise

I was running out of space on my HP Pavilion 17-ab008no and asked my technician whether it was possible to upgrade my laptop by switching the original SSD 128GB with a corresponding one with greater capacity. He said yes and asked me to go purchase a Samsung EVO 860 500GB, which I did. Alongside the original SSD mentioned above, this laptop came with a 1TB HDD drive. I told my technician that I kept Dropbox, OneDrive, and my Adobe Creative Cloud applications (including several third-party plugins) on that drive. Please note that besides running out of space, I never had any performance issues with this laptop before. I own several computers, and this HP Pavilion was my absolute favorite a steady, dependable, and powerful workhorse that's given me nothing but joy. Well. When I got my computer back, it took me six minutes to log into it, and once I'd logged into it, nothing worked. My technician had installed the Samsung EVO 860 500GB alongside the original SSD, removed the original 1TB HDD, and placed it in an external hard drive cabinet. When I told him the computer wasn't functioning anymore, he couldn't understand it and felt I was questioning his know-how and blaming him unfairly. I told him that it'd been a mistake to take the HDD out, as it was the home of several heavy applications, all of which were configured to run at startup. Before I relinquished the laptop back to him, I changed that configuration so that neither Dropbox, OneDrive, or Adobe Creative Cloud applications would run at startup. My technician, being in possession of my computer once again, couldn't understand what I'd been complaining about. The computer was working just fine! I tried, once again, to explain the thing about the applications on the HDD and reminded him I'd altered the configuration so as to facilitate booting. I asked him to simply remove the original SSD and to return the HDD to its original place. Instead of doing so, and without consulting me about his plans, he went ahead and purchased a better SSD. He explained that the original SSD was an M.2, so he bought a Kingston A200 SSD M.2 500GB and mounted it in place of the Samsung EVO 860 hed asked me to buy. Instead of returning the original HDD to its place, he decided to go buy a better HDD, a Samsung EVO 870 SSD M.2 1TB. The original HDD he placed in the external hard drive cabinet. Of course it ended up with me paying for the new components and compensating him for his overtime. When my technician finally returned my laptop, its display was not working properly anymore. It flickers, flashes, goes dark, displays vertical lines, you name it. I've run several diagnostic tests, updated GPU drives and tried lots of other troubleshooting steps, all to no avail. I believe the problem is of a mechanical nature, probably a loose cable or something. My technician has personal problems and wont return my messages. Ive not been able to use my computer for over a month now. Im hesitant to surrender my laptop to a new technician as it contains lots of personal and confidential information on both drives. If the problem is indeed of a mechanical nature, I could encrypt the two drives, but before I do so I must be sure as to whether my diagnose is correct. So I wonder, would you please take a look at this video Lydia's Pavilion Flickering Display 720p - YouTube and tell me what you think? Thank you in advance! Windows 10 Home 20H2 OS Build 19.042-928 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

:)

lydiadx, May 4, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

According to the service manual for your laptop you have the following:
    Dual Storage Configurations
    1 TB + 256 GB PCIE SSD

Here are your drive options:
    2.5 Inch = SATA Hard drive or SATA SSD
    M.2 = SATA SSD or PCIe SSD

You said you bought a Samsung 500GB 860 EVO which was to replace the original SSD.
    You then said the tech installed it along side the original SSD and removed the 1TB hard drive.

The only way this makes sense is you bought the wrong type of SSD.

There are two versions of the Samsung 860 EVO:

* Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 Inch SATA

Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise [​IMG]

* Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA

It looks like you bought the 2.5 Inch SATA version instead of the M.2 SATA version.
    That meant the tech had to remove the 1TB hard drive to install it.

Another confusing thing is that you now have a Samsung 870 EVO M.2 SATA 1TB.

I have only seen one version of the Samsung 870 EVO:

* Samsung 870 EVO 2.5 Inch SATA

I am very familiar with this drive because I just bought bought a 1TB one a couple days ago.

I think there was a miscommunication between you and your tech on what your upgrade options were.

MisterEd, May 5, 2021
  3. lydiadx Win User

I was running out of space on my HP Pavilion 17-ab008no and asked my technician whether it was possible to upgrade my laptop by switching the original SSD 128GB with a corresponding one with greater capacity. He said yes and asked me to go purchase a Samsung EVO 860 500GB, which I did. Alongside the original SSD mentioned above, this laptop came with a 1TB HDD drive. I told my technician that I kept Dropbox, OneDrive, and my Adobe Creative Cloud applications (including several third-party plugins) on that drive.

Please note that besides running out of space, I never had any performance issues with this laptop before. I own several computers, and this HP Pavilion was my absolute favorite — a steady, dependable, and powerful workhorse that's given me nothing but joy.

Well. When I got my computer back, it took me six minutes to log into it, and once I'd logged into it, nothing worked. My technician had installed the Samsung EVO 860 500GB alongside the original SSD, removed the original 1TB HDD, and placed it in an external hard drive cabinet. When I told him the computer wasn't functioning anymore, he couldn't understand it and felt I was questioning his know-how and blaming him unfairly. I told him that it'd been a mistake to take the HDD out, as it was the home of several heavy applications, all of which were configured to run at startup. Before I relinquished the laptop back to him, I changed that configuration so that neither Dropbox, OneDrive, or Adobe Creative Cloud applications would run at startup.

My technician, being in possession of my computer once again, couldn't understand what I'd been complaining about. The computer was working just fine! I tried, once again, to explain the thing about the applications on the HDD and reminded him I'd altered the configuration so as to facilitate booting. I asked him to simply remove the original SSD and to return the HDD to its original place. Instead of doing so, and without consulting me about his plans, he went ahead and purchased a better SSD. He explained that the original SSD was an M.2, so he bought a Kingston A200 SSD M.2 500GB and mounted it in place of the Samsung EVO 860 he’d asked me to buy. Instead of returning the original HDD to its place, he decided to go buy a better HDD, a Samsung EVO 870 SSD M.2 1TB. The original HDD he placed in the external hard drive cabinet.

Of course it ended up with me paying for the new components and compensating him for his overtime.

When my technician finally returned my laptop, its display was not working properly anymore. It flickers, flashes, goes dark, displays vertical lines, you name it. I've run several diagnostic tests, updated GPU drives and tried lots of other troubleshooting steps, all to no avail. I believe the problem is of a mechanical nature, probably a loose cable or something. My technician has personal problems and won’t return my messages. I’ve not been able to use my computer for over a month now.

I’m hesitant to surrender my laptop to a new technician as it contains lots of personal and confidential information on both drives. If the problem is indeed of a mechanical nature, I could encrypt the two drives, but before I do so I must be sure as to whether my diagnose is correct. So I wonder, would you please take a look at this video — — and tell me what you think? Thank you in advance!

Windows 10 Home
    20H2
    OS Build 19.042-928
    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

lydiadx, May 5, 2021
  4. Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Please help me diagnose this terrible malaise - Similar Threads - Please help diagnose

2. Please help me diagnose and fix - PC crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help me diagnose and fix - PC crashing: My PC is crashing in games. Failure sequence:1. Monitor input DP switches off2. GPU fans go to max3. PC continues running - I can hear sounds4. After a couple minutes, PC restartsWhat I have done so far to try and fix:1. Flashed my MB to update BIOS2. Clean re-install of GPU...
  3. Please help me diagnose and fix - PC crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help me diagnose and fix - PC crashing: My PC is crashing in games. Failure sequence:1. Monitor input DP switches off2. GPU fans go to max3. PC continues running - I can hear sounds4. After a couple minutes, PC restartsWhat I have done so far to try and fix:1. Flashed my MB to update BIOS2. Clean re-install of GPU...
  4. Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.: My computer is crashing a lot . This is 100% related to WINDOWS 11 OS and companion drivers for my DELL G5 SE. I took my computer to my friend who ran diagnostics on it who and that there is a driver issue and that I just need to wait for DELL to update their drivers. In the...
  5. Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.

Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.: My computer is crashing a lot . This is 100% related to WINDOWS 11 OS and companion drivers for my DELL G5 SE. I took my computer to my friend who ran diagnostics on it who and that there is a driver issue and that I just need to wait for DELL to update their drivers. In the...
  6. Can somebody help me diagnosing this minidump please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can somebody help me diagnosing this minidump please: I am getting BSDs in a new laptop with Windows 10.In the Event Viewer I see this critical event associated to the most recent one:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000010e 0x000000000000002d, 0xffffa20102fe4a70, 0xffffa200fee18ae0,...
  7. Can somebody help me diagnosing this minidump please

Can somebody help me diagnosing this minidump please: I am getting BSDs in a new laptop with Windows 10.In the Event Viewer I see this critical event associated to the most recent one:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000010e 0x000000000000002d, 0xffffa20102fe4a70, 0xffffa200fee18ae0,...
  8. Can somebody help me diagnosing this minidump please

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Help me diagnose a BSOD problem please :

Help me diagnose a BSOD problem please :: Hi! So, for a couple of days now I keep getting crashes. They used to be BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR code 0x00000124 Here's more info: _On Wed 2/10/2021 9:45:07 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file:...
  10. Please help me diagnose the cause of BSODs!!!

Please help me diagnose the cause of BSODs!!!: Intel I& 7700K Asus ROG STRIX Z270F GeForce RTX 2070 4x8 Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz Samsung 860 EVO SSD (500gb and a 2TB) Windows 10 Pro I built the PC back in March and up until about a month ago it was working without issues hours on end. I'm not sure what has changed...