Windows 10: Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

Discus and support Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am on windows 11 and I Installed a program called classic shell that is made to replace the current taskbar because I wanted to hide the clock from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nickwinston123`31243266, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

I am on windows 11 and I Installed a program called classic shell that is made to replace the current taskbar because I wanted to hide the clock from the taskbar, and this is not currently possible in windows 11. This program was alright, but I can't use windows clipboard with it so I decided I do not want it anymore so I uninstalled it. Then I found my start menu not working, it just does not open even if I press directly on the windows button in the taskbar or pressing the windows key. It is goneSo I was forced to install classic shell again and this time I accidentally added their classic

:)

nickwinston123`31243266, Jan 16, 2022
  2. newtekie1 Win User

[Tip]Classic Shell - Get back classic features of the Windows UI(Classic Start Menu)

You can get Classic Shell Here. It is open source and free.*Rockout :rockout:

When installing, do note that you can install the Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu features seperately, so if you don't have use for one or the other don't install it if you want to save a little hard drive space. Though the total install only takes about 4MB with both features installed.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... ClassicShell_1.png

Now there are so many tweaks that Classic Shell offers there is no way I will be able to go over each one. But I do suggest if you are missing a UI feature from an older version of Windows that was removed from Win7, try Classic Shell, because I haven't seen a feature yet that wasn't in there. But I'm just going to go over a few features that I use and like for now.

First of all, the Classic Start Menu. It is pretty self explainitory. Right when you finish installing Classic Shell, the Classic Start menu will be active by default. Now you can set different keys to open either the Classic Start Menu or the Standard Start Menu. Personally, I usually have it set to that clicking on the start button opens the Classic Start Menu, while pushing the Windows key on my keyboard opens the Standard Start Menu.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... ClassicShell_2.jpg

Also, with the Classic Start menu Shutting down goes back to the classic Windows XP style.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... ClassicShell_3.jpg

You can access all of your settings for both Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu by going to the program folder in the start menu.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... [​IMG]

Some of the features I use for Classic Explorer are the Up Arrow(which is enabled by default) along with disabling breadcrumbs. If you aren't sure what breadcrumbs are, look at the screenshot, breadcrumbs are the new way the address bar works in Win7, I think it was a way to eliminate the up arrow. Anyway, now that I have an up arrow again they are pretty worthless. So I disable them so that the actual path is dislayed in the address bar.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... [​IMG]

One last thing I like to do is disable the Alternate File/Folder conflict dialog boxes. I actually prefer the new style that came with Win7. By default these options are enabled, which brings up the classic style dialog box whenever you are trying to copy over a file/folder that already exists.

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... ClassicShell_6.jpg

There are hundreds of little UI tweaks available in Classic Shell. So I would suggest you try it. If you don't like it, uninstalling it removes all the tweaks and returns everything to normal. And you can pretty much turn off every tweak you don't want, I know some people that use it just for the Up arrow in Explorer.

*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Jan 16, 2022
  3. Compumind Win User
    Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start)

You can do the same with Classic Shell via a shortcut pinned to the main Classic Shell Start Menu.
    Just create a shortcut to the W10 native menu and drag it onto the Start icon. Then place in the program list.

*Smile

Compumind, Jan 16, 2022
  4. EstoGaza Win User

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive

I should have just been using classic shell all along. Thank you for your suggestion. My main problem with 3rd party programs was that I couldn't search directly from the taskbar. Classic shell allows me to do that, and the search results are way faster and easier to access. Cortana was a huge step back.

EstoGaza, Jan 16, 2022
Thema:

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

1. Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell... - Similar Threads - Please help return

2. Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...: I am on windows 11 and I Installed a program called classic shell that is made to replace the current taskbar because I wanted to hide the clock from the taskbar, and this is not currently possible in windows 11. This program was alright, but I can't use windows clipboard...
  3. Classic Shell Start Menu not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Classic Shell Start Menu not Working: So about an hour ago I was searching up "how to make windows 10 feel more like windows 7" and one of the guides told me to create a shortcut with the classic personalization window. When I opened it, I proceeded to click the "synchronized theme" which changed my desktop...
  4. Help me with getting classic desktop back and start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me with getting classic desktop back and start menu.: So my laptop has Windows 10, and if I minimize something it goes to my normal desktop, and my start menu works (click the start button, a vertical menu pops up). I just bought another laptop and it is annoying as hell. Any window I am in (browser, app, anything) doesn't have...
  5. Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help

Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help: I disabled Cortana in the regedit and also renamed the Cortana folder in the System Apps folder in order to completely stop it from running. Now, when I hit the Start menu button on the keyboard, it opens up, but am unable to type in anything.. How do I resolve this issue?...
  6. Classic Shell to Classic Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  7. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  8. Classic Shell won’t let Explorer start

Classic Shell won’t let Explorer start: So, I originally had Classic Shell, and then I uninstalled it. It told me to reboot my PC, so I did, and now I can log in, but after I do it just shows a black screen. I can use CtrlAltDel to get to Task Manager, and from there I opened Command Prompt, then created a new user...
  9. Help with Classic Shell.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with Classic Shell.: Hi guys, I've been using Classic Shell for a long time now, I believe several months if not the whole year. Yesterday, I got a major update for my system. Since then (Build 10586) there is one feature of CS that has been not working very well (I guess) and I cannot find...
  10. Start Menu does not open after uninstall of Classic Shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu does not open after uninstall of Classic Shell: After uninstalling Classic Shell, my start menu on Windows 10 build [Version 10.0.15063] (which is what Command Prompt tells me) decided to no longer function. I have been using this computer for over a year, while Classic Shell has been installed for the past 6 months....