Windows 10: Please help me save my Hard Drive.

Discus and support Please help me save my Hard Drive. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am somewhat knowledgeable about computers to about an intermediate level. Just enough to get myself into trouble. I don't usually reach out for help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nitsuds Nosrap, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Please help me save my Hard Drive.

I am somewhat knowledgeable about computers to about an intermediate level. Just enough to get myself into trouble. I don't usually reach out for help but I'm at a critical point and might lose my HD.

Long story but I will try to be brief. So I have a Dell 8300 XPS that I bought back in 2011. I recently bought a graphics card and was having trouble getting the GPU to work. My monitors would go into sleep mode when plugged into the new GPU. I was trying many different things including going into Bios to try to get the computer to recognize the new GPU. I think due to it being a Dell I have limited access in Bios and was unable to fix the problem. This is not the problem I need fixed.

My problem is that I removed the cmos battery on my motherboard to try to rest bios. (probably bad advice from the internet). When replaced, the computer wouldn't boot and the only thing showing was a black screen with "cannot boot windows" (or something to that effect) at the top left side. I could still access Bios and ran a full system scan and everything came back fine.

I figured that I needed to reload Windows 10 and everything would be fine. I was able to download Windows 10 to a jump drive off another computer and load the Usb drive first through bios. This worked and I reset up Windows. When the desktop came up it is not the original desktop. It seems to be running like a new computer with a blank desktop. My files, games, pictures are all not read. I checked the hard drive under properties and it shows only 12gb of space. I have two 500 gb hds in the machine that were working fine before this happened. Device Manager still sees both drives but when I look in Disk Management it shows a large portion of Hd 0 as unallocated and Hd 1 as unknown, uninitialized and unallocated. It seem like my HDs are partitioned and the computer only reads one side. I could be wrong.

While I was troubleshooting GPU problem I had to do several hard shutdowns because I didn't have a screen. I don't know if this corrupted a boot registry.

I feel I'm at a crossroads and need some direction. Is my file directory corrupt and need to be restored? When I tried to research an answer it looks pretty serious because I don't feel comfortable with redoing the directory. Did I make things worse by loading Windows? Please help. Thanks

:)

Nitsuds Nosrap, Dec 24, 2018

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Dec 24, 2018
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Please help me save my Hard Drive.

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Please help me save my Hard Drive.

1. Please help me save my Hard Drive. - Similar Threads - Please help save

2. Help please installing hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help please installing hard drive: So, I have an Asus E402s, which had no memory on it. I think it came with none? Anyway, I thought I needed to buy a SSD hard drive and clone kit and clone the hard drive then swap it out for the hard drive inside. I did the clone but when I took the back off (as you all...
  3. Cant view Hard Drive PLEASE HELP

Cant view Hard Drive PLEASE HELP: ok look my hard drives are online everything is fine i just cant see them in the this pc tab in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-view-hard-drive-please-help/fb27c620-54dd-43e0-8ff8-c9f5028145b7
  4. Please help me about hard faults!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please help me about hard faults!: Hello Microsoft community and team, I have a Windows 10 PC, and I have i5 8400, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz ram. My question is, whenever I open a program like Firefox or install something it shows hard faults ranging from 20 to 400 and then it stabilizes to 0 to 20 spikes. is that...
  5. help for me buy hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    help for me buy hard drive: i want to back up my pc windows 10 and ps3 to same external hard drive. 1.what specs should i buy (general)? 2.what specs should i not buy (general)? 3.what specs will totally not work? 4.should i clone both systems or just back up files, or clone one and back up other? 5.I...
  6. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  7. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  8. Hard Drive Error! Please Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Error! Please Help!: I have a PC with the following specs. Intel Core i5-4570S 8 GB RAM Nvidia GTX 960 120GB SSD 500GB HDD I was running Assassin's Creed Syndicate yesterday and I first noticed some momentary stutters when entering a new area. The game was installed in my HDD. When I was...
  9. Saving to my hard disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving to my hard disk drive: I have changed the location in which new apps, games, and just about everything else is saved to however I am trying to download this game but it keeps saying I have no more space. I went to check if this was true and the drive and even my (D) had the majority of empty space...
  10. Please help, this is driving me mad !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Please help, this is driving me mad !!: Okay, I upgraded to windows 10 as soon as it released a couple of days ago. Since then I have been tearing my hair out trying to solve the few issues I have. I am about to give up and go back to windows 8.1, but thought I would post here first to see if anyone can help....