Windows 10: Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Discus and support Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I'm in need of help. My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage. Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Parafuseta, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Hello, I'm in need of help.

My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage.

Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown outside my country:

While playing some games her notebook "BSOD'd" with the code:

File:\boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c
    After that, she lost access to windows and her files/projects so I've tried without success to repair the installation using boot flash drives and a number os fixes and suggestions, to no avail.

Then, I've whipped out a SSD, installed windows 10 on it and tried to log into it with the nvme installed to try and copy some files before formatting it.

But the problem is that by itself, the SSD boots alright but as soon as I add the nvme back its messes up the boot of the SSD.

Looks like it tries to boot from it and obviously isn't able to do so and then I'm unable to even access windows on the SSD.

What I'm trying to do is to boot win10 with another drive (the sata SSD) and then copy over the file explorer whatever files she needs before formatting the nvme.

Is my reasoning sound?

What can I do in order to achieve this solution? Any other ideas?

I'm all ears and will report with lots of details and photos and whatnot, if needed, in pursuit of the fixes proposed here.

Thanks a lot!

:)

Parafuseta, Mar 18, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

1. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! - Similar Threads - Please help Need

2. Data compromised I need help please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data compromised I need help please: HiOn Monday I received and email with threatening words from hacker, making me aware of having access to my computer and all my information and I needed to make a bit coin payment other wise he would initiate my bit locker.I reported the email to Microsoft but the email...
  3. Data compromised I need help please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data compromised I need help please: HiOn Monday I received and email with threatening words from hacker, making me aware of having access to my computer and all my information and I needed to make a bit coin payment other wise he would initiate my bit locker.I reported the email to Microsoft but the email...
  4. Data compromised I need help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Please some help needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please some help needed: There is a blue tiny window showing in my desktop and I dont know what it is. Please help me I cant figure out how to close it. I check on the task manager there is no unknown app. I need to remove it. It is annoying....
  6. Please some help needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please some help needed: There is a blue tiny window showing in my desktop and I dont know what it is. Please help me I cant figure out how to close it. I check on the task manager there is no unknown app. I need to remove it. It is annoying....
  7. Please some help needed

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. I need some help with updates, please!

I need some help with updates, please!: I'm currently trying to download something to my laptop, but whenever I try to do so, it tells me that "It's time to update your device" and gives me the option to either "Got to Microsoft Store" or "Update now". If I try to go to the store, it tells me to select an app to...
  9. I Need Some Data From A File

I Need Some Data From A File: So, something was wrong so I did some investigating. It turns out I was missing Print and its command. Could someone copy the data from print\command - default so I can make my own file? Thanks....
  10. need some help please!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need some help please!!!: I just got this ASUS ZENBOOK UX 305 LAP TOP and I have only in my short life with computers used android products and Microsoft and windows 10 is very much Japanese to me.. but I tried to stop some buffering and took it upon myself to act like I knew what I was doing and...