Windows 10: Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Discus and support Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I'm in need of help. My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage. Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Parafuseta, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Hello, I'm in need of help.

My GF laptop has an optane "drive" and a nvme m.2 drive for OS/storage.

Unfortunately it's of a brand quite unknown outside my country:

While playing some games her notebook "BSOD'd" with the code:

File:\boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000014c
    After that, she lost access to windows and her files/projects so I've tried without success to repair the installation using boot flash drives and a number os fixes and suggestions, to no avail.

Then, I've whipped out a SSD, installed windows 10 on it and tried to log into it with the nvme installed to try and copy some files before formatting it.

But the problem is that by itself, the SSD boots alright but as soon as I add the nvme back its messes up the boot of the SSD.

Looks like it tries to boot from it and obviously isn't able to do so and then I'm unable to even access windows on the SSD.

What I'm trying to do is to boot win10 with another drive (the sata SSD) and then copy over the file explorer whatever files she needs before formatting the nvme.

Is my reasoning sound?

What can I do in order to achieve this solution? Any other ideas?

I'm all ears and will report with lots of details and photos and whatnot, if needed, in pursuit of the fixes proposed here.

Thanks a lot!

:)

Parafuseta, Mar 18, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive!

1. Please help! Need to salvage some data from a nvme drive! - Similar Threads - Please help Need

2. Need help - Bitlocker locked drive data recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help - Bitlocker locked drive data recovery: Hi, Unfortunately, I have lost my drive E data after running clean command using DiskPart utility and drive was locked by bitlocker. Please help me to know, what are chances to recover data & how? where as I have bitlocker key. Note: it has some changes to the drive E...
  3. I need some help with my folder icons please

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need some help with my folder icons please: I am using a windows laptop windows 10 pro and the version is 1903. Here is the problem I have changed the icons on my old laptop but forgot how. Now I want to change them on here but am having a bit of trouble. Here is what I'm trying to do. (1) I want to use folders...
  4. Data Recovery from 20+ Year Hard Drive - Help Needed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Data Recovery from 20+ Year Hard Drive - Help Needed: Hi, I'm trying to recover a file from a Western Digital Caviar 21200 hard drive that I used in a desktop at university. I sent the hard drive to a data recovery team and they have provided me evidence to show that the file I want is available, but then they also wanted to...
  5. I need some serious Help with an issue. Please any help!

I need some serious Help with an issue. Please any help!: A friend of mine came to see me today, he was really upset (Just so people know he does have Autism) because he told me that his computer will not install Windows 10 because he has only a 30GB (On Board HDD) now he can not use windows at all because There is not enough room....
  6. Need Help please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help please: So i plugged in a other set of headphones because i couldn't hear my friend on discord and it worked and then the game i was playing stop playing sound so i quit it and played YouTube to check the headphone and it played and i closed it and reopened it again and now google...
  7. need help please

in Windows 10 Support
    need help please: I have a windows 7 custom build computer and my friend talked me into trying windows 10 x64 1903, so i unplugged my win 7 hard drive and put in a ssd drive i had laying around and put win 10 on it, well i decided it wasnt for me so i removed that hard drive and put my win 7...
  8. Need help to recover Outlook data from old PC's hard drive

Need help to recover Outlook data from old PC's hard drive: Hello, My desktop Dell Inspiron PC failed last week. It wouldn't boot up BIOS. Nothing could bring it back to life. I pulled the hard-drive from it, and have connected an SATA cable to it, and there's a USB to the new PC. Is it possible to recover any data from...
  9. need help with activation PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need help with activation PLEASE HELP: Hello my name is Landon and I have been trying to activate windows on my computer for a while now , I received my PC as a gift and when I got it windows 10 Pro had already been installed on it, all of a sudden windows has stopped working , and will not reactivate , the...
  10. need help please

need help please: I can't download battle net app on my pc to play blizzard games it wont even download it says on 1 or 2 percent and doesn't go up ugh please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-please/85742886-788d-4482-ba68-682a568b0dae