Windows 10: Please help! Not booting to correct drive/black screen blinking cursor

Discus and support Please help! Not booting to correct drive/black screen blinking cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have searched far and wide on this issue and tried things others have and I am getting nowhere. I have two hard drives, one is SSD with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jockna, Jun 6, 2021.

1. jockna Win User

Please help! Not booting to correct drive/black screen blinking cursor

Hello, I have searched far and wide on this issue and tried things others have and I am getting nowhere. I have two hard drives, one is SSD with windows installed on it and the other is 1TB. Over the past few months I kept getting the booting error but found a temporary fix of hitting F9 or F12 for bios and clicking on any of the drives and it would boot up. Today that stopped working, this morning I was using my computer and shut it down as normal and went out, came back and I got a blinking cursor issue at top left with black screen. It was seemingly even booting from the 1TB previously but Im not entirely sure, I have had no issues until today when I received the issue of the blinking cursor at the top left. It seems a little temperamental because in the past it would just work no matter which hard drive was selected or if I simply just hit F9 displayed system information, I would hit OK and it would boot normally. I have a gigabyte motherboard btw! I found that windows media creation tool is the fix to this according to many sources, so I put this onto a 32GB USB drive. I tried to boot it to this but it said; An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. and now Im stuck. I have checked the SATA cables and swapped them around because it seems they were the wrong way around. I have tried having one drive only connected and vice versa. Furthermore, I have replaced the CMOS battery with a new one so Im stuck and upset. I hope I dont have to compromise with a new HDD. Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3

:)

jockna, Jun 6, 2021
  2. BetsyCole Win User

Black screen with blinking cursor

I run Windows 10 and have a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I can hit Control, Alt, Delete, and it reboots momentarily, show the Dell logo and F2 Setup anf F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Regardless of what key
    I hit, it goes right back to the Black screen w/ cursor. I can't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

BetsyCole, Jun 6, 2021
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    Black screen with blinking cursor

Hello,

This issue regarding the black screen and blinking cursor maybe due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. There are certain steps that we can do to troubleshoot this issue. Let's follow the methods provided by Aadland on August 8, 2015 on this

link
    and see if this will resolve your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Jun 6, 2021
  4. BetsyCole Win User

Black screen with flashing cursor

Two weeks ago I had to delete and reload Windows 10. A few days ago my screen suddenly went black with the blinking cursor in the top left hand corner.

I can only do a hard reboot, and when I do, on my screen I briefly get the Dell logo with
    F2 Set Up / F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Then it quickly reverts to a black screen with blinking cursor. Pressing either of the F2 /F12 keys has no effect.

I have attempted to do a hard boot 3 & 4 times in succession but it always comes back to the black screen with blinking cursor.

No sticky key combinations that I have seen mentioned on the Community page work at all. I'm stuck on the black screen with cursor.

Any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BetsyCole, Jun 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Please help! Not booting to correct drive/black screen blinking cursor - Similar Threads - Please help booting

2. Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.: I came home from Thanksgiving day dinner only to have a Black screen with a cursor and I have tried almost all the repair options I could find on the net. My main problem is I have not task manager that will come up or when trying the safe mode option all I see is still the...
  3. Black screen of death and blinking cursor after login... HELP!

Black screen of death and blinking cursor after login... HELP!: Hello everyone, I've been racking my mind and exhausted every possible forum for solutions. I hadn't done any updates so I'm assuming it might be due to an automatic update. When I tried to start the computer up this morning I got this black screen with a cursor after...
  4. Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor

in Windows 10 News
    Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor: [ATTACH]When you boot a computer, and all it shows is a black or blank screen with a blinking cursor (it may look like an underscore), […] This article Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Black screen with blinking cursor Windows 10

Black screen with blinking cursor Windows 10: After updating to Win 10, the black screen with blinking cursor appeared. What worked for me was going into the BIOS and changing the boot order to make the HDD the first boot device. The CD/DVD had been the first device....
  6. Blinking Black screen, Toolbar and Cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blinking Black screen, Toolbar and Cursor: So the toolbar is unresponsive probably because it keeps blinking so using the Start menu or hitting the windows key is not an option, I can ONLY access task manager through safe mode, I've uninstalled my display adapter Or graphics driver, restarted the laptop and logged in...
  7. Win 10 Can't boot stuck in black screen with blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Can't boot stuck in black screen with blinking cursor: Yesterday suddenly win 10 stop , then return blue screen with the message win need to repair and we will restarted for you , then win boot into black screen with blinking underscore . I try to boot win from usb to use repair but it's return cant repair your pc , then through...
  8. Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  9. Guys help please! Black screen with cursor!

in Windows 10 Support
    Guys help please! Black screen with cursor!: First of all, sorry if I'm writing this in the wrong thread. NOTE: i am using a samsung laptop. I was using Windows 10 for quite some time now but recently it started showing that my disk is at 100. Okay. I started a disk checkup and it got stuck at 12%. I restarted my...
  10. Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP: Okay so I'm panicking a bit here. Installed the 'Windows 10 Login Screen Changer' that I found on this forum, clicked 'change background' and bam...black screen. I turned the computer off and on again and still black screen with a Cursor. Ctrl Alt Del does nothing. My...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix black screen with a flashing hyphen on the screen