Windows 10: Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer

Discus and support Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently I built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Pro from a usb drive, and have been having trouble running certain programs and games. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Markus Kulik, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer

Recently I built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Pro from a usb drive, and have been having trouble running certain programs and games. When I started to reinstall programs I noticed Google Chrome would not open, as soon as I double clicked it would open for half a second then close. So I tried downloading Firefox to the same issue, then I finally downloaded and have been using Opera GX as my browser. I downloaded steam and have downloaded a few games, Black Ops 3 worked just fine, but Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Risk of Rain 2, and Black Ops Cold War would instantly restart my comp

:)

Markus Kulik, Aug 12, 2022
  2. swat354 Win User

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Aug 12, 2022
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 12, 2022
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Aug 12, 2022
Thema:

Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer

1. Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer - Similar Threads - Please help troubleshoot

2. Cant open applications or restart computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant open applications or restart computer: I have Windows 11 and recently updated but can't start or interact with any applications that aren't started up immediately and can't turn off the computer through the interface...
  3. Cant open applications or restart computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant open applications or restart computer: I have Windows 11 and recently updated but can't start or interact with any applications that aren't started up immediately and can't turn off the computer through the interface...
  4. Computer restarting when opening certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer restarting when opening certain games: So I built this computer in 2019 and have since upgraded almost every part.Summary: I have swapped motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, PSU, and removed hdd and SSD besides the boot drive and the crashing issue still remains. The temperature is not a problem as I have monitored the...
  5. Computer restarting when opening certain games

Computer restarting when opening certain games: So I built this computer in 2019 and have since upgraded almost every part.Summary: I have swapped motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, PSU, and removed hdd and SSD besides the boot drive and the crashing issue still remains. The temperature is not a problem as I have monitored the...
  6. Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer

Please help troubleshoot certain applications not opening or restarting computer: Recently I built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Pro from a usb drive, and have been having trouble running certain programs and games. When I started to reinstall programs I noticed Google Chrome would not open, as soon as I double clicked it would open for half a...
  7. Computer keeps crashing and restarting, Please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer keeps crashing and restarting, Please help: This has been happening for 3-4 months now, where my computer will crash, and then restart. I do not see a blue screen or any error screen before the crash, the computer only restarts. I turned off the auto restart when the PC crashes and I still did not get a blue or error...
  8. Problem opening certain applications.

Problem opening certain applications.: Recently, something has happened on my computer which has prevented me from opening certain applications such as Snipping Tool and the Windows Installer which is used to download other apps. It opens, works for a few seconds, freezes then closes. Does anybody have a fix for...
  9. computer just randomly restarts when i open certain applications

computer just randomly restarts when i open certain applications: the applications are so far just been games and the ones that are a little bit bigger too and when it restarts it just goes strait off no blue screen or anything and the game opens a little bit but as soon as it gets to where it is interactive it restarts...
  10. "Open with" isn't showing certain applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Open with" isn't showing certain applications: I use netbeans to open java files for coding and wanted to check my code in text edit before turning it in. Now I can't switch the files back to netbeans because it isn't showing up in the "open with" tab. submitted by /u/Sigueson [link] [comments]...