Windows 10: Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup

Discus and support Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Skip this part if you don't care to know how I caused this problem: Slept last night thinking my pc migration woes were behind me, and this morning I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/omega4relay, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup

Skip this part if you don't care to know how I caused this problem:

Slept last night thinking my pc migration woes were behind me, and this morning I tried to play around with my nvidia drivers so that my 1070 and quadro 4000 could work together in Blender. I tried manually updating my quadro driver and it ended up conflicting with my 1070. Ok, it doesn't work, screw it I'll figure it out some other time, I need to get to work. So I turn off the pc, take out my quadro, boot up with my 1070 and I need to reinstall the driver for it. So I ran the same driver installer that worked for me yesterday (without uninstalling the device in device manager) and the screen went black. Ok. The screen typically flickers black sometimes maybe I'll just wait. I wait and wait, and the screen never comes back. SHIT, did I just undo all my progress from yesterday? So I powered off my system and reboot. I see the windows loading dots spinning, and I get a permanent black screen. Shitshitshitshit. Ok stay calm, you messed up the driver installation all you need to do is get into safe mode, uninstall your driver, reinstall your driver via usb and reboot. Now here's where the real mess starts.

____________________START READING HERE FOR THE MAIN ISSUE__________________________

Right, so safemode, boot into it, reinstall the driver and everything will probably be fine.

So apparently in windows 10 you don't just press F8 or whatever to boot into it, you have to boot from an installation usb/disk or invoke auto repair by powering off a couple times. The only problem is:

1. The safemode option isn't in advanced options like in tutorials.
    2. I can't boot safemode from the command prompt because it tells me I can't run some bootrec command because access is denied and some other error msgs like: the system partition was not found, the requested system device could not be found,
    3. Can't boot safemode from a recovery usb from msft because it now gives me, "windows failed to start blah blah, File:\Boot\BCD, Status: 0xc0000098, Info: The boot config data file doesn't contain valid info for an OS.
    4. Even if I invoke automatic recovery by using the 3x powerbutton trick, none of the advanced options do anything for me, it actually won't let me run automatic recovery, I cant uninstall windows updates, can't restore to recovery points.
    5. EDIT: I also remembered, I predicted I might run into issues like this so created a restore point before any of this. I actually reverted to it before I installed my 1070 driver again because I noticed the restore point didn't reinstall my driver or something, there was a yellow triangle in device manager. I can't even load a restore point from advanced recovery options because it tells me I need to specify the OS or something.

The funny thing is I used to be able to boot from a usb, I ran system/startup repair or whatever which took a while, I went to run errands while it did its work. I came back, and found it asleep, I booted it up and I still had a blackscreen, BUT it had my cursor and it was moving in 144hz which was the configuration I had before this whole mess. So that must've counted for something. But that was before. I shut down my pc again and I'm right back to square one. Or perhaps worse, a bunch of options just straight up won't work for me, it's almost like the startup repair tool made things worse and corrupted a bunch of files or something.

FWIW, I'm looking through this thread as it seems the OP is going through the exact same situation that I'm in. I thought I should post to here anyway just to get as many eyes on the issue as possible. I'm really stressing out here, it's the PC I need for work and I don't have any alternatives. Please somebody, give me ideas to try out. I've been dealing with pc issues for the last 72 hours.

submitted by /u/omega4relay
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/omega4relay, Jul 10, 2020

2. W10 Black Screen Before Bootup

Hi Ray,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with black screen issue on Windows 10.

The issue could occur if display adapter driver is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• Is the black screen issue occurring when you logged in to the computer?
    • Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to keep your computer connected to the internet while running the online DISM command as suggested by
    Mayank Gupta10 in the previous post.

Also I recommend you to try to install the latest version of display driver from the website of computer's manufacturer and check if it helps.

http://in.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads

Please get back to us with an update on black screen issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 10, 2020
  3. W10 Black Screen Before Bootup

Hi Ray,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with black screen issues on your device.
    Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

We appreciate your effort and time spent in resolving the issue.

Let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

I understand that you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. I suggest you to try the few other steps mentioned in the Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup

black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

Remon Ont, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup

1. Please help.... windows 10 black screen on bootup - Similar Threads - Please help black

2. Black Screen help please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen help please: Anyone please help me , first i got a blue screen after i go to a certain restore point then after i restart the laptop and log in it became all black with a mouse cursor. I tried to access the task manager but it says reinstall Duser.dllNext is i tried to go to a certain...
  3. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  4. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  5. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. I get this screen on bootup. Please help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I get this screen on bootup. Please help.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ashhcs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kdp4r6/i_get_this_screen_on_bootup_please_help/
  7. BLACK SCREEN PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BLACK SCREEN PLEASE HELP!: Today i turned on my pc as usual, but i had some troubles...[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-please-help/7fcdc8a1-13a6-44d6-8bb7-1be326d1d706
  8. Windows 10 Bootup Black screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Bootup Black screen: Hello, every time I Bootup the computer it loads then show me black screen and when I press ctrl + alt + del it does nothing and when I press restart on the case it doesn't work so I have to hold the power button. And it works. Any help pls. Note: I have installed the last...
  9. Help with black screen at bootup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with black screen at bootup?: Powered my laptop on, only to find myself stuck at the loading bootup screen. Powered on/off until the Preparing Automatic Repair text appears under the loading circle, except it just cuts to a black screen with my cursor and winpeshl.exe Pried open my laptop and poked...
  10. PLEASE HELP! black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE HELP! black screen: Hi, i have been getting a black screen even on safe mode, so basically cant do anything just, The only thing that i can do is run the troubleshoot. Im not sure why this happened, at the beginning i thought it was a problem with my gpu or some drivers, so i went in safe mode...