Windows 10: Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap

Discus and support Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/J-Peezy24 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/J-Peezy24, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap

/u/J-Peezy24, Aug 29, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap

1. Please Help - Windows Not Booting After SSD Swap - Similar Threads - Please Help Booting

2. no boot after cpu swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no boot after cpu swap: I swapped my i3-4130 to a i7-4790 the cpu does not look damaged. i get a blank screen when i try to boot up the fans turn on but no display i know the motherboard is compatible with 4th gen LGA1150 processors is it something to do with my old cpu not having integrated...
  3. Attempt to SSD swapping lead to boot loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempt to SSD swapping lead to boot loop: I used to have a laptop (say X) Windows 10 (UEFI+GPT). After that laptop stopped working, I took out its SSD (no HDD installed), used this adapter and tried to boot it up on a different laptop (say Y). Now, Windows doesn't boot up at all. Its always stuck in diagnostics,...
  4. Swapping to ssd?

Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  5. Frustrated with SSD Swap - Help is Appreciated!

Frustrated with SSD Swap - Help is Appreciated!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/J-Peezy24 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ij2jt3/frustrated_with_ssd_swap_help_is_appreciated/
  6. Please help! Can't boot windows 10 from SSD after fresh install.

Please help! Can't boot windows 10 from SSD after fresh install.: So I recently bought an SSD and was really excited to install it and get it up and running. But after installing windows 10 on the SSD, it won't boot windows from the SSD. It is an Nvme SSD that I've installed on my motherboard with a pcie adapter into my free pcie slot. So...
  7. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  8. Help: Slow boot after cooler swap

Help: Slow boot after cooler swap: Just recently i swapped the stock Ryzen 5 3600x cooler for the new BeQuiet Shadow Rock 3. I took the Cpu out of the sockle to clean of the old thermal paste, put it back in and applied the new paste. Ever since then the Boot times have significantly increased from around 30...
  9. Problem with boot after cloning HDD to SSD - Please Help !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with boot after cloning HDD to SSD - Please Help !: Hi, I have windows 10 on my Dell and I just cloned my HDD onto a SSD. I changed the BIOS priority with 1) SSD and 2) HDD. The boot was still very slow as if on my HDD (and not SSD). When I look at the C:/Windows/Temp it gives me today's date, which means to me that it...
  10. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...