Windows 10: Please insert a disk and cd drive not working

Discus and support Please insert a disk and cd drive not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi ! My cd drive has stopped working. Whenever i insert a cd it says insert a disc and then shows help me choose a disk. I tried to rund diagnostics... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sureshgulati, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Please insert a disk and cd drive not working

Hi ! My cd drive has stopped working. Whenever i insert a cd it says insert a disc and then shows help me choose a disk. I tried to rund diagnostics and it says everything is working fine. I have tried uninstalling drivers/device then reinstalling nothing is working. Even did registry changes but nothing seems to work. On Software checking I am seeing CDFS disabled and I am not able to rectify the problem. Did some changes and the drive started but again the problem came back. I want to know how to check if there is hardware issueSomething wrong with drive or optical lens not working or its a software issue. Microsoft site does not have any answers. Can somebody please advise what to do?

Thanx

Suresh

:)

sureshgulati, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

I get the insert a disk message repeatedly in Windows 10

Hi,

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to insert the disk into the drive and go to disk Management, then there change the drive letter to the DVD/CD drive.

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Disk Management.

• Click on Change the driver latter and path.
    If the issue persist, go to device Manager, then right click on the DVD/CD driver and click uninstall the driver and restart pc, then PC will install the driver automatically which will remove this error.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device manager.
    • click on DVD/CD Rom driver.
    • Right click on the DVD/CD rom driver and select driver tab.
    • Click on uninstall.
    Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Cannot burn songs to CD inserted already on to computer Error: insert a blank cd

Hi

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details.

• Are you trying to Burn Music on to the DVD inserted?

• “Only 5 songs on the cd” is it a Read/ Write disk or a Normal disk (copy write CD)?

Let me inform you, if you have a Normal disk with 5songs burnt and saved you will not be able to Burn the new songs again. Until and unless the disk inserted is a Read/ Write CD.

Put an empty disk in the drive open my computer and double click on the CD inserted. And check for the status of the CD, if its CD/DVD-RW drive, if any files appear in explorer greyed out then delete them by clicking "Delete these temporary files".

I suggest you to follow the below steps to fix the issue.

Method 1: if you are trying to copy the songs to CD, follow the below steps.

If the CD is copy right protected. You will not be able to copy songs to the computer if the CD is copy right protected.

Also try to clear the burn list if any old list of songs available and try to copy again and see if it helps.

Method 2: Windows media player settings troubleshooter

Also try the Windows media player settings troubleshooter and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Select settings in the drop down menu below search and type
          Troubleshooting.

• Click on Troubleshooting
          and select the view all option on the left pane.

• Click on Windows media player settings
          and follow the prompts.

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/burn-cd-dvd-media-player#1TC=windows-10

Burn CD's with windows 10

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Linda666 Win User

Please insert a disk and cd drive not working

CD/DVD drive says Please insert a disk. (Windows 10)

1. Internal drive

2. All disks elicit same problem - 'insert disk'

3. Acer Aspire 5551 - drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N

Driver in use: 10.0.14393.0 21/06/2006 MS

for you info:

1) Drive burns 100% ok (disc verify and scan perfect)

2) Drive reads data 100% ok (I can read data using an additional software, just not in file explorer)

3) I can NOT browse the contents of any disc from windows file explorer

Tried

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there is any yellow exclamation point on CD/DVD in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Device Manager.
    • Expand DVD/CD ROM drives, right click on the driver.
    • Click on Properties and check the device status

Step 2: If the drive is being detected in Device Manager try the below to update the drivers:

• Right click on Start button and select Device Manager.

• Expand DVD/CD ROM drives, right click on the drivers and click on Update driver software.

• Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 3: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    All tried of these solutions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Whilst looking for an answer find thousands of people having the same problem!!!! And I assure you I'm not exaggerating.

Linda666, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Please insert a disk and cd drive not working

1. Please insert a disk and cd drive not working - Similar Threads - Please insert disk

2. Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:: Hi although I know it states OneDrive does not support an external hard disk. I run out of space of my windows11 laptop internal hard drive and brought an external Hard Drive a couple of years ago. This has been synchronising perfectly well with my laptop ever since until...
  3. Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:: Hi although I know it states OneDrive does not support an external hard disk. I run out of space of my windows11 laptop internal hard drive and brought an external Hard Drive a couple of years ago. This has been synchronising perfectly well with my laptop ever since until...
  4. Desktop keeps rejecting CD or DVD and says "Please insert a disk into drive D"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop keeps rejecting CD or DVD and says "Please insert a disk into drive D": My desktop CD drive "D" has started to reject any blank or recorded CD or DVD, and says, "Please insert a disk into drive D." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-keeps-rejecting-cd-or-dvd-and-says-please/69ec9123-9705-43bd-b7a7-d54c83351a29
  5. "Please insert a disk drive in Disk Drive D:"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Please insert a disk drive in Disk Drive D:": Hello!A friend of mine was moving some files into a USB flash drive and, after the operation was completed he used the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media to check if it was safe to remove the drive. After he confirmed that it was safe to do so he removed the drive just to...
  6. Please insert a disk in to USB Drive

Please insert a disk in to USB Drive: Up until midday the stick was working perfectly. I did an eject, popped it in another pc, copied a file on, did an eject and now all I can get is the above message. Lots of work on it - not irreplaceable I'd rather not have to do the whole lot again. I've tried a few software...
  7. Please insert disk

Please insert disk: Win 10 pro. Whenever I put a dvd in, it spins, ejects and says "please insert disk" I did a repair install with a usb stick, dvd's were recognized. Machine then updated, no dvd's recognized. Not even the win10 dvd I did the initial install from...
  8. Please insert a disk into USB Drive :E

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please insert a disk into USB Drive :E: Hello. My actual USB drive is not showing up under Devices and Drives in the File Manager. I watched fixes and it told me to go to Create and format hard disk partitions. Then, under the unallocated space that the drive has, make a new volume. When I do this, it says "The...
  9. USB Flash drive please insert a disk

USB Flash drive please insert a disk: Usb flash drive please insert a disk, tried different computers. Updated drivers. Changed drive letter. Uninstalled driver and reinstalled. Checked for updates. Ran troubleshooter. Please help I have a document I really need.......
  10. CD/DVD says;"please insert disk" in windows 10.

CD/DVD says;"please insert disk" in windows 10.: Can not use CD/DVD Device, no autoplay, when asked for disk E the disk will be ejected. How to make it work? 73396

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Please insert a disk into CD drive